Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Anyone fixing with another war and pipelines damaged do we think prices are going to go up?

Yes, fixed yesterday with Octopus. No idea if this was the right move, but it will give us peace of mind for the next 12 months.

More than likely to go up, and if it does drop, then it usually isn't by much. Rates are quicker to go up than when they come down!

Last edited:
I’m on flexible octopus. It’s cost me exactly £1.01 every single hour when our heating is on, this seems crazy, is that right? Gas: 6.78p per kWh

Edit: that’s what the smart meter says, although it does update every 30mins.

It’s 0715 and the boiler has been on for 1 hour 15 min (heating/water tank). It says we’ve used 12.8kwh so far

Edit2: it’s a crappy baxi solo 15 HE boiler. 15kw, so 15x6.78p does equal £1.01 per hour. Oh my god

Last edited:
I’m on flexible octopus. It’s cost me exactly £1.01 every single hour when our heating is on, this seems crazy, is that right? Gas: 6.78p per kWh

It’s 0715 and the boiler has been on for 1 hour 15 min (heating/water tank). It says we’ve used 12.8kwh so far

Edit2: it’s a crappy baxi solo 15 HE boiler. 15kw, so 15x6.78p does equal £1.01 per hour. Oh my god

12.8kWh x £0.0678 = £0.87

Scotland’s biggest offshore wind farm at full power https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67126815

Now this is running at full power, it should help keep electricity prices down.

You're welcome :p (this is a tongue-in-cheek comment!)

I wonder how this would affect Carbon output of Elec generation for Scotland given, in 2021, it was 86.9% before this farm came online:

Despite declines in renewable and nuclear generation, the low carbon share of total UK generationstood at its second highest value on the time series at 54.5 per cent, with a 51.4 per cent share inEngland, 86.9 per cent in Scotland, 27.5 per cent in Wales, and 40.8 per cent in Northern Ireland.
Source

The rest of the UK have some way to go, particularly Wales.

I appreciate this included nuclear generation and Scotland has since decommisioned a nuclear plant but renewables is still impressive considering the low winds for the time measured (according to report):

• England - 37.3%
  • Scotland - 57%
  • Wales - 27.5%
  • NI - 40.5%

Interesting to see generation vs demand (all sources):

Country - Supply Share / Demand Share:
  • England - 72.5% vs 81.8% (deficit supply)
  • Scotland - 15.6% vs 9.5% (surplus supply)
  • Wales - 8.7% vs 5.9% (surplus supply)
  • N.Ireland - 3.1% vs 2.8% (almost equal)

Last edited:
What makes you think I live in England? :p Something I’d be interested in knowing is whether wind farms at sea are more reliable. Does the wind blow more than on land? Or are the wind farms at sea simply because we’re running out of hills?

Haha, fair enough :p

In answer to your other question:

Offshore wind farms generate electricity from wind blowing across the sea. They are considered more efficient than onshore wind farms, thanks to the higher speed of winds, greater consistency and lack of physical interference that the land or human-made objects can present.

Source

For the time it's on, do you typically have heating and hot water on at the same time? Wouldn't be surprised that the 15kW boiler is running flat-out if both are on, especially in colder days or if you only heat hot water in the morning, for example.

EDIT: Typically older boilers are also set for maximum flow temperature too - you might be able to adjust it down and save a bit on gas with little effect on heating times and effectiveness.

Last edited:
(after reading earlier the dogger bank future output links - hadn't realised it comes in at 250Kv dc)

on/offshore I'd read onshore wind was typically (all in with hardware) nearer half cost/MWh of offshore .... but if UK offshore wind is twice as powerful as on shore then that could be redressed

somewhat obvious comment, but try turning off the heating, or water, for an hour/hours to understand how much each is using.

What’s the context here?

I’s the boiler heating the house up from cold (E.g. 10-14C) or is it maintaining a warm house already at 10c?

If it’s the former then that’s probably right, if the latter then that’s a lot of gas!!

Now this is running at full power, it should help keep electricity prices down.
Not until many of the levies etc are moved to gas. Only on smart tarrifs can People access truly cheap renewable power at the moment, everyone on standard tarrifs are pegged to the gas rate. Think it will come with a big push to time of use pricing.

Last edited:
Not until many of the levies etc are moved to gas. Only on smart tarrifs can People access truly cheap renewable power at the moment, everyone on standard tarrifs are pegged to the gas rate. Think it will come with a big push to time of use pricing.
But surely if cheap renewable electricity floods the market then the price will drop? Or does that not happen yet?

Just had a new boiler installed and my gas usage is higher than that!

Worcester Bosch 4000 30 KW

Had it on for about 45 mins last night and loop shows 7.7kwh of gas per 30 minutes. We do have a lot of double radiators though, 13 in total (with 4 of those single,9 doubles)

This was heating from cold and only left it on for 45 mins.

This is with gas mix set at 80% aswell.

I think my boiler once warmed then uses around 3.6kwh gas when return water reaches 60c and boiler had hit that after about 40 mins, should have left it little longer really see if it did step down gas.

Not sure if all condensing boilers do this?

would recommend BOXT if looking for pretty decent deals, mine was £2350 all in (look for blue light discount code save yourself £60)

Does all come down to luck of draw though with installer in you area though.

Last edited:
(after reading earlier the dogger bank future output links - hadn't realised it comes in at 250Kv dc)

on/offshore I'd read onshore wind was typically (all in with hardware) nearer half cost/MWh of offshore .... but if UK offshore wind is twice as powerful as on shore then that could be redressed

somewhat obvious comment, but try turning off the heating, or water, for an hour/hours to understand how much each is using.
Good idea! I'll trial each one this weekend and figure it out!
What’s the context here?

I’s the boiler heating the house up from cold (E.g. 10-14C) or is it maintaining a warm house already at 10c?

If it’s the former then that’s probably right, if the latter then that’s a lot of gas!!
Our heating/water only really comes on twice a day! Morning like 6am-730. Then evening 5pm-9pm. Main thermastat for CH is in the hallway and set to around 20c. All the radiators (minus one in the hallway) are on TRV and set to around level 2, which heats the bedrooms to about 17.5c. The living room TRV is set to 5 and is the last to heat up, takes AGES.

Back
Top Bottom