Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

And so? The UK government was effectively doing the same until recently. Makes the UK Expensive, very expensive.

The Private companies are very cheap compared to the UK. It doesn't matter what sets the bill, only what the end consumer pays as a comparison. The UK consumer is being ripped off compared to other countries - perhaps we subsidise them.
Ripped off, well not really. Just not subsidised by the government.

Greek wholesale electricity is regularly some of the most expensive in Europe, its not like they have a magic wand.

Last edited:
I have just been looking at Greek Electricity prices from December, and they make the UK cost per kWh look unforgivable....

PPC, basically the Government company is charging 17 cents per kWh up to 500kWh per month, and 18.5 cents above this.

The private companies are significantly cheaper....

Watt & Volt 8.88 Cents per kWh
NRG 11.7 Cents per kWh

I should also mention, there is no standing charge

Gas isn't a thing in Greece, unless bottled

For anyone interested, the prices are here... you will need to auto translate

https://www.astrosnews.gr/oikonomia/oi-times-promitheyton-reymatos-ton-dekembrio
Go to Russia if you want cheap electricity and gas

Last edited:
I think a lot of people would disagree with you, we pay far too much in the UK for our power, especially compared to the Global averages
They can disagree, and we can talk about the need to decouple the electricity price from the price of natural gas but to compare greek subsidised prices and declare the UK a 'rip off' is just plain wrong.

They can disagree, and we can talk about the need to decouple the electricity price from the price of natural gas but to compare greek subsidised prices and declare the UK a 'rip off' is just plain wrong.
and you are also happy with UK prices.... and how is it wrong? it is entirely comparable, that which the end consumer pays... pretty comparable.... who cares how they get there, only what people pay.

Last edited:
and you are also happy with UK prices.... and how is it wrong? it is entirely comparable, that which the end consumer pays... pretty comparable.... who cares how they get there, only what people pay.
Because you are calling it a rip off and comparing to a heavily subsidised price. That doesn't mean the UK is a rip off, it just means the UK pays the cost.

How we get there matters a lot when determining if the price is a rip off or not.

Last edited:
And so? The UK government was effectively doing the same until recently. Makes the UK Expensive, very expensive.

The Private companies are very cheap compared to the UK. It doesn't matter what sets the bill, only what the end consumer pays as a comparison. The UK consumer is being ripped off compared to other countries - perhaps we subsidise them.
I moan a lot, but even I can see its not that simple.

Greece is better placed geographically for a start, part of EU mainland and also closer to other parts of the world in terms of alternative supply. Also how much of their demand do they import. Did you look into that?

Because you are calling it a rip off and comparing to a heavily subsidised price. That doesn't mean the UK is a rip off, it just means the UK pays the cost.

How we get there matters a lot when determining if the price is a rip off or not.
Generally to determine fair value, you take an average of prices, and then if you are say in the upper quartile, or perhaps 15%, then a price is likely classified as expensive, or perhaps rip off. in this case if you take UK energy prices against the global market, they would fall into that category.

You must be happy with paying high energy prices? An energy companies dream customer - the prices are high, but it is fine.

I moan a lot, but even I can see its not that simple.

Greece is better placed geographically for a start, part of EU mainland and also closer to other parts of the world in terms of alternative supply. Also how much of their demand do they import. Did you look into that?
You are absolutely right. Greece is a part of a bigger market. The UK chose to operate separately. obviously has an impact, even if people like to deny the facts.

Generally to determine fair value, you take an average of prices, and then if you are say in the upper quartile, or perhaps 15%, then a price is likely classified as expensive, or perhaps rip off. in this case if you take UK energy prices against the global market, they would fall into that category.

You must be happy with paying high energy prices? An energy companies dream customer - the prices are high, but it is fine.
You still don't understand, your prices are artifical.

You are absolutely right. Greece is a part of a bigger market. The UK chose to operate separately. obviously has an impact, even if people like to deny the facts.
Deny facts? The Greek Market is worse than the UKs. Must be that nationalistic bubble :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom