Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Government money is still YOUR money, who do you think is paying the government?

I don't mean any offence to our Greek cousins but we moan about the state of UK infrastructure, we are on a whole other level compared to the Greek public infrastructure. The government can bung a ton of money at every prices but it's just a short term gain in exchange for even longer term pain.

I'd rather they bung all that money on building windfarms which will significantly lower energy prices over the long term. The issue with the UK government is that they are not doing either.

Last edited:
maybe requisition a few of those batteries we/tax-payer is financing at the 'JLR' facility, to augment the UK storage capability - not sure if we gave the (failing) Aussies company/ex british volt, money too,

the whole debacle on wind contract bidding price, seems asymmetric - need some storage to balance it.

(EU hasn't yet ruled on the post-brexit 2024 BEV taxes associated rules of origin afaik)

It was already bad enough that people were given barely any notice. Is there some sort of motivation for them to get as little people on the sessions as possible?

I noticed I got no email for the session I missed.
First WhatsApp went out just over 24 hours before the event, with a reminder the next day an hour before it started. Seems like plenty of time to be able to send an email if you ask me!

maybe requisition a few of those batteries we/tax-payer is financing at the 'JLR' facility, to augment the UK storage capability - not sure if we gave the (failing) Aussies company/ex british volt, money too,

the whole debacle on wind contract bidding price, seems asymmetric - need some storage to balance it.

(EU hasn't yet ruled on the post-brexit 2024 BEV taxes associated rules of origin afaik)

Adding storage doesnt make sense yet really.
We still use the vast majority of the energy we create
There are times that we have excesses in some areas, but thats simply an issue with infrastructure to get more energy out (ie lines at max). IMO better to be upgrading them as a priority.
Eg I already get semi regular free energy sessions. Yet they are planning a large solar farm near to me which is going to hit the same issue in getting it out of the area.
There is some storage being added as well to be honest but I suspect thats not going to be able to store all they can generate when times are good.

We need more of the new renewables coming online to be closer to population centres. Offshore is fine, but its hitting backbone grid issues when its generating a lot.

Backbone grid gets just a much NIMBY blocking as windfarms etc

looked it up https://www.cornwall-insight.com/pr...tery-storage-to-meet-2030-renewables-targets/

although total demand is also increasing battery storage acknowledged as needing more growth than wind capacity,
if we are heading for 4GW 2025 that would be 10% of the batteries off of JLR line - smaller than I'd imagined.
Electricity-generation-capacity-1024x740.png

Some of that storage will be domestic.
IMO its far better than grid as it allows individuals more control.

But it needs a far larger and more widely available (and fair) time of use tariffs.

Again, right now, the frequency of excess renewables is low. So the ROI for those investing in storage for it makes little sense, at grid level, why spend loads of money for something that will see little use?
Where as in domestic settings the batteries can be used all the time, and make sense to use all the time.

Grid attached storage is the perfect usage for old EV batteries, as such the economics of it will change, a lot, once they genuinely start to come through in some sort of volume.

yes - commercial battery energy shifting, is probably more efficient (both monetarily and targetting population individual demand) than individual domestic batteries,
to eat surplus wind/solar energy that is given away, you'd probably run the nuclear stations more, too.

I haven't sen an analysis of average usage of home batteries and whether they are cycled once/more times a day, to optmise their return, calendar aging being 1% a year or so.

The reality is that home battery storage will be very month dependant in regards cycle. Of course also size vs usage.
If as most will, its kWh capacity is between say 40-80% of daily usage (which is the sweet spot I calculate for ROI) then in winter months its going to cycle once (maybe 1.x times) a day, almost guaranteed.
In fact probably from around Sept - March thats going to happen the vast majority of days since generation will be unlikely for most to be enough to power the house and of course generation is time related.
Mar-Aug its going to be factors affecting each site, amount and facing of panels, weather etc
I would guess based on my data that the average over that period will be something like 50-80% of a cycle. Bear in mind outside full sun days there is often switching where the battery will be charging one minute then the sun goes in and it starts discharging, then a high current device is switched on or off. IE they are in a constant loop of variable amounts going in or out.

Not sure what you mean by calendar aging being 1% a year or so. My batteries quote 90% remaining capacity after 6000 cycles.

Have to bear in mind (I am not supporting energy sector here) is that many people were coming from COVID influenced lower prices as opposed to pre COVID ones when it all kicked off.
The deals picked up when COVID was restricting the economy were basically the cheapest for years.

Hardly. Even pre-covid unit wise I was 2.2p for gas and 12p for elec

The energy sector are just milking it

Hardly. Even pre-covid unit wise I was 2.2p for gas and 12p for elec

The energy sector are just milking it

No really.
Why cant people check things before they say the opposite.
May 2020 lowest point in 10 year cycle.

The deals available then WERE the lowest for many many years.

Its not even me saying it as some kind of super analyst, its well discussed, or was, when the exact scenario I posted above was happening, ie people coming off a COVID priced deal and onto price cap.

No really.

Its not even me saying it as some kind of super analyst, its well discussed, or was, when the exact scenario I posted above was happening, ie people coming off a COVID priced deal and onto price cap.
I cant see your data, its asking me to pay $1700 :cry: (must have viewed too many statista pages)

FWIW in early 2019 I was 3.42p for gas and 12.89p for electric via bulb.

I cant see your data, its asking me to pay $1700 :cry: (must have viewed too many statista pages)

FWIW in early 2019 I was 3.42p for gas and 12.89p for electric via bulb.

Hmm thats odd its doing it to me as well now. Maybe when you link it it does that.

But yes exactly, there was a very low point for energy costs (in actual as well as real terms) around mid 2020. Demand for all energy went down considerably and hence prices tumbled.

No really.

Not sure what your point is though. Energy prices now are the highest they've ever been and double to what I was paying in 2019

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom