Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Don’t think a smart meter affects your daily spend to be honest.
More it just gives you a figure slowly creeping upwards that makes you judge your usage habits.

Although I find it bizzare how much people use. I'm never over £2 a day when I'm in the the house including heating on for around 5-6 hours (including standing charges)

Last edited:
More it just gives you a figure slowly creeping upwards that makes you judge your usage habits.

Although I find it bizzare how much people use. I'm never over £2 a day when I'm in the the house including heating on for around 5-6 hours (including standing charges)

Yeah that's not accurate if you're talking Flex/svr rates at all for most people.

If I put my heating on for 5-6 hours and set the target temp to one it will never reach, it will burn through maybe 40 kWh or so of gas, and subsequently that will cost a few £ not including standing charges, or electric usage.

Everyone has different heating systems and house sizes etc, but with a standard combi this is around what I'd expect at that usage level.

Are you setting a target temp? if it's reached it will turn the heating off, and then you're really not actively using it for that length of time.

Yeah that's not accurate if you're talking Flex/svr rates at all for most people.

If I put my heating on for 5-6 hours and set the target temp to one it will never reach, it will burn through maybe 40 kWh or so of gas, and subsequently that will cost a few £ not including standing charges, or electric usage.

Everyone has different heating systems and house sizes etc, but with a standard combi this is around what I'd expect at that usage level.

Are you setting a target temp? if it's reached it will turn the heating off, and then you're really not actively using it for that length of time.
On Octopus tracker rates.
Target temp is 21 then turns off allowed to slowly drop

Even in the same exact house, cost could vary wildly depending on various factors. Living in a 3 bed with say 2 adults and 1 or 2 children will be a whole different scenario than being single in the same 3 bed. The family in this case will have a need for more electric and to heat the whole house mostly. The single person can get away with putting a pc in the livingroom, heating that one room where they'll be most of the time and leaving the rest of the house unheated, while of course using less electric. Its more bizarre not understanding that everyone has different situations that result in different costs.

Last edited:
Even in the same exact house, cost could vary wildly depending on various factors. Living in a 3 bed with say 2 adults and 1 or 2 children will be a whole different scenario than being single in the same 3 bed. The family in this case will have a need for more electric and to heat the whole house mostly. The single person can get away with putting a pc in the livingroom, heating that one room where they'll be most of the time and leaving the rest of the house unheated, while of course using less electric. Its more bizarre not understanding that everyone has different situations that result in different costs.

Leading to damp and mould

On Octopus tracker rates.
Target temp is 21 then turns off allowed to slowly drop

I'm on the tracker also but there is no chance that heating my house for 5-6 hours would only be £2, it would easily get above that.

December this year my gas bill was £42, but then I wasn't heating the house for 5-6 hours on those days, December was fairly mild, so was maybe doing a couple of hours per day on average.

January so far has been colder, so I am expecting to use more gas this month.

Yes as per above poster I wouldn't do this, need to ensure whole house hits a reasonable minimum temp, I tend to just heat all of it to a base level of around 18C.

This was the 12th heating on from 10:30 till 3pm (I'm only heating one room though not the house). Not including standard charges. Was up to temp within 2-3 hours but forgot to turn it off lol

Screenshot-20240114-110601-Octopus-2.jpg

Screenshot-20240114-110615-Octopus-2.jpg

Last edited:
If it’s up to temp it will turn itself off.
I always set it to like 25 then manually turn it off. Otherwise it will just keep turning back on when it drops. Drops from 21 to 17 or 18 by midnight. Always 12-13 in the passageway/upstairs as the front door sucks away any heat (no draft) same in the kitchen

Last edited:
I’ve now been put onto tracker with a meter that normally takes night and day readings.

They just had to make adjustments on their end with regards to the readings taken.

Trying to sort it via email was a nightmare and extremely lengthy. A few people have mentioned how quickly they respond but that’s not been my experience at all.

It’s best to call them in your scenario so they can make the adjustments on the back end. Unfortunately you’d have to wait until Monday now.
I'd contacted them previously and they had told me that my meter was not supported and this info is still in their FAQ. I tried again, simply asking for a single rate tariff and then asking about tracker when they provided me with alternatives.
They said that my meter would need to be updated and they've put this request in for me, but it will take some time. In the mean time I've switched to a single rate as it doesn't make sense for me to be on economy 7.
All in all a positive experience with customer services. Hopefully the meter update doesn't take six months or something.

This was the 12th heating on from 10:30 till 3pm (I'm only heating one room though not the house)

Right so you didn't say that, you just said that it was bizarre people are spending more than a couple of quid a day, whilst you're just heating one room which obviously costs less, but the rest of your house is cold/unheated.

I'd say what you're doing is not that common, and most people don't want to be relegated to just using one room all winter. Heating my whole house to about 18C or so in the day isn't costing that much more to do, so I do that instead.

Right so you didn't say that, you just said that it was bizarre people are spending more than a couple of quid a day, whilst you're just heating one room which obviously costs less, but the rest of your house is cold/unheated.

I'd say what you're doing is not that common, and most people don't want to be relegated to just using one room all winter. Heating my whole house to about 18C or so in the day isn't costing that much more to do, so I do that instead.
Indeed and avoids damp building up in otherwise cold rooms

We've used 496KWH of electric this week costing us £110 (and still 2 hours to go)

Does that seem completely crazy for 2 adults and 2 kids in an electric only 3 bed semi on economy 7 with storage heaters, or is that borderline understandable? Its a 70s build so not so great insulation etc.

Back
Top Bottom