Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

suppliers could have a higher level green certification tarif where they genuinely provide all the energy real time from green sources -
so when wind/solar not matching customer demand they have grid battery storage that is discharging to make up the shortfall (which itself was charged from wind/solar).
might be expensive per unit or need tou tarifs but must be businesses/individuals who are rich enough, and want the kudos.

LOL.

I am sure there maybe be one or two who would do it, but it would be far better to be done at local level than grid.
Would make literally zero commercial sense to only charge grid usage from green. Its best utilised to accept green or non green but to reduce/eliminate the most polluting. Eg eliminate coal/oil rather than modern gas generation.

FWIW Octopus already tell you when the grid will be green or not so you can flex your demand based on that, should you choose to.

I think the whole conversation was dumb to be honest.
There is basically no time (yet, its coming) when the grid is fully green.
There are many reasons why, but the most obvious is that its not a single entity, its a massive infrastructure project, that cannot simply take green in at unlimited amounts in one location and spit out in any other location.
It has to be managed and it has limitations.

The simple key fact is that if you sign up for a green tariff or green supplier the total amount that they buy or produce will come from green sources.
It basically irrelevant if thats real time, its just load switching in regards periods for now.
No one in their right mind has any thought that that right now, at consumer level, in real time will be your ringfenced green.

There will come a point when they would not be able to make the claims since the grid itself has the limitations that for that customer they cannot be fully green in affect when added as a marginal consumer on top of all the other who are signed up for green
We are not there yet, but it will likely come.

Just done an Octopus quote as my fix is up 1st April. Flexible is coming out more expensive than the 1 year fix offered by nearly £200 a year!
Still cheaper than what my current supplier EDF have offered though. I'm guessing it might be worth waiting to see what the new price cap is in Feb before deciding.

Last edited:
Just done an Octopus quote as my fix is up 1st April. Flexible is coming out more expensive than the 1 year fix offered by nearly £200 a year!
Still cheaper than what my current supplier EDF have offered though. I'm guessing it might be worth waiting to see what the new price cap is in Feb before deciding.
Just go onto Tracker

I assume you have to sign up to flex first to be able to move onto tracker?
Yeah as it's the default, then you use https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/ to switch to the tracker tariff, much cheaper than fixed tariffs.

Remember to use a refferal link for £50 credit :)

Use the following link to check unit rates in your area (change the region drop down)

Last edited:
My electric bill is peanuts this month on tracker + I'm £400 in credit. I've reduced my monthly payment by £100 which should help offset my mortgage increase later in the year, happy days!
Its ridiculous the amount they take off you when you don't owe it can you imagine if the supermarkets tried it "we're taking £400 out of your bank account to cover future food expenses incase you might need it. You're welcome." Or filling stations pre-charging your account for any fuel you might use in future. Anywhere else it'd be outrageous with energy companies its perfectly normal apparently.

Ok so I emailed EON and they altered my payment to pay per use only, variable DD. That was surprisingly easy.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

During the Power Ups on 04/02/2024, 05/02/2024, 06/02/2024, 09/02/2024, 28/01/2024, 31/01/2024 you’ve used 1137% more electricity than usual. We’ll credit you a total of £19.73 for all of the electricity you used during this time.

:eek:

I might be going back to Agile from tracker due to formula change on tracker, the new formula has drawn agile into a small gain for me and a bigger gain if I ever choose to exploit TOU variables, although the predicted savings for me are very low if same usage pattern as Dec-Jan, so I would be doing it from a perspective of being tight.

And do what with it? Add to the unit rates?
Standing charges are about 50% of my bill because I'm such a low user to begin with.

Drop the price of the SC, add it to the unit rate, people who use less pay less. My electric actual use is 0.18p a day (2 units @9p), my standing charge is 0.60p a day!

Last edited:
Drop the price of the SC, add it to the unit rate, people who use less pay less. My electric actual use is 0.18p a day (2 units @9p), my standing charge is 0.60p a day!
Then how would they recoop the loss in money from the lower standing charge? It's not like anyone who controls it would just accept lower costs for consumers with nothing to gain.

Then how would they recoop the loss in money from the lower standing charge? It's not like anyone who controls it would just accept lower costs for consumers with nothing to gain.

By adding the cost to the unit price, in 2 years my standing charge went from 25p-47p-60p that's well over 100% rise in just 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom