Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Then why are social tariff costs in it?

I don't know the make up of the current SC but I've also stated that I think the SC should be reformed, the fees should reflect actual fixed costs for connecting the home and the equipment, currently the SC is climbing at a rate that is far higher than any normal cost increase should be.

Hence I said SC should come down, and some costs could go into unit costs. Solar customers are largely still grid connected, and would be subject to revised smaller costs on SC in this model.

Then why are social tariff costs in it?

Ok, won't work anyway then.

Interesting though, as a water company business we have to report how much energy we consume each year to our regulator. That is to measure our energy efficiency. We wouldn't be able to get away with not knowing our own consumption, whether its grid, solar or whatever other source.

I appreciate that is business rather than domestic, but it means you can't monitor your own energy efficiency then.

Well it depends what you mean, you said grid which IMO means upto meter, which is the point if anything goes wrong they pay for it
I can see what I produce, but thats connected to my own house wiring, ie after the meter and hence its not monitored or available to anyone bar me
As hippo mentions the inverters can go wrong, be wrong, and rely on stuff like cloud storage by the inverter manufacturer who could go pop at any time

Edit, you could add another meter. Meter the DC coming from the panels, or a meter to measure the AC leaving the inverter. Problem is they would be VERY easy to work around.
Messing with the grid side of the meter is very dangerous. Messing with the panel / inverter bit not really very dangerous. They already have isolation fitted as part of the install.
You would also potentially create an even worse situation where people install solar and do not notify anyone. No one knows, no one can bill you right?

Last edited:
I genuinely don't mind paying an elevated SC in principle... but only on the condition that all the money over and above the cost of the general infrastructure goes towards improving the renewable generation and the backbone behind it.

I don't want it being spent on paying shareholders and what not.

I appreciate that is business rather than domestic, but it means you can't monitor your own energy efficiency then.
You can monitor your own, but it's not sent anywhere else. My inverter knows how much PV it's sucked down and my smart meter knows how much I sent to the grid or imported. Unless we're going to start putting in yet another smart meter it's not quite viable.

Didnt my parents pay for that through their taxes??
They paid for a great many things I'm sure, just as you do.

It's very nice to say "I don't use it so I don't want my taxes spent on it", until its 50 years later and things are even more in tatters than they already are because nobody wanted to fund x and now everyone needs x.

Lots of folk don't want their taxes spent on aircraft carriers or bombs, but given the events of the last 2 years I think a few might have changed their minds.

Actually here though the SC is filled with non connection things. Green levies, debt, social tariffs and subsidies, heat pump subsidies etc. This stuff doesn't belong in the SC so no wonder people are angry. Still the answer isn't taxing renewables.

Yeah it probably got lost in the shuffle but I said that SC should be changed about in post #25,463, they're seemingly using SC to dump hidden costs for things as a convenience.

Well it depends what you mean, you said grid which IMO means upto meter, which is the point if anything goes wrong they pay for it
I can see what I produce, but thats connected to my own house wiring, ie after the meter and hence its not monitored or available to anyone bar me
As hippo mentions the inverters can go wrong, be wrong, and rely on stuff like cloud storage by the inverter manufacturer who could go pop at any time
So not much different from self assessment then, or reporting your crypto gains for tax purposes. Would rely somewhat on trust but could be done.

Last edited:
I don't know the make up of the current SC but I've also stated that I think the SC should be reformed, the fees should reflect actual fixed costs for connecting the home and the equipment, currently the SC is climbing at a rate that is far higher than any normal cost increase should be.

Hence I said SC should come down, and some costs could go into unit costs. Solar customers are largely still grid connected, and would be subject to revised smaller costs on SC in this model.

I have tried to look and found it very difficult to really get to the bottom of whats in it.
Plus as i said above, where do costs like call centres go. The cost of collecting my DD is the same as someone using 4x or 0.25% of my usage.
The costs of switching me from a tariff are the same as any other user etc etc

So not much different from self assessment then, or reporting your crypto gains for tax purposes. Relies somewhat on trust.

But again, it's dumb, and it will simply mean we don't have people adding solar capacity to the grid, so I'd advise dropping the suggestion that this somehow works, or is a good idea.

No one is saying that people with solar should pay nothing, it was more a point that if all of the costs move from SC to unit rates, this is the outcome, then you have this additional work to calculate things that are, at best, reliant on self-certifying with inaccurate data.

Investment into green energy should be done another way maybe, as this is a good idea, but who owns it? If they charge us all higher SC's to cover it, where/how do we see that the money spent eventually leads to us all paying less for grid energy vs lining some shareholders pockets?

Country as a whole needs to invest in cleaner energy and improving of reliability, but we should all reap these rewards together, and then paying a higher SC to cover it isn't so bad.

Didnt my parents pay for that through their taxes??

You could look it at that way if you prefer... Then what you are helping to pay for is the future generation's education/pre-work healthcare. You know, the ones who will look after you in old age either indirectly (keeping the lights on and the shelves full) or directly as a carer of some kind....

Last edited:
You could look it at that way if you prefer... Then what you are helping to pay for is the future generation's education/pre-work healthcare. You know, the ones who will look after you in old age either indirectly (keeping the lights on and the shelves full) or directly as a carer of some kind....
I have no problem paying my taxes, what they spend it on is upto them. I will benefit one way or the other.

So not much different from self assessment then, or reporting your crypto gains for tax purposes. Would rely somewhat on trust but could be done.

Most things can be done doesn't mean they should be done.
BTW when you started paying the same for export you destroyed the point in having home batteries, so now we just imbalanced the grid further with no one choosing to install them ;)

We shouldn’t be taxing solar. It would be like taxing someone because they grew their own veg or did some diy.
we all know this, apart from Dan

Just for a bit of fun,
If you burn other fuels no matter the source as a replacement for eg Diesel you need to pay tax on it.
Waste oils etc.
Of course no one does, but its why they chase down that Mondeo that smells suspiciously like a chip shop when driving down the street.
We have to do this at work. One of our processes generates a waste product that can be burned (after minor some modification, blending basically) in boilers as a replacement for oil.
If we applied the same logic to solar we WOULD be due to pay taxes. ;)

I think we should deffo have a DIY tax. All that work Dan has been doing which is denying trades jobs and hence removing taxes from the trades that support society.
I am sending the tax man round Dan!

Last edited:
Natural gas price at the moment is relatively cheap - same price we had back in June last year around 55p/therm which is only 10p more now than pre-Covid/Ukraine etc back this time in 2019.

Cornwall are predicting bills will drop in the next 2 quarters. Im about to move to an octopus EV tariff, would the day rate with a tariff like this drop by a similar amount? at the moment the day rate is ~1p more than the standard variable rate.
cant be certain but all octopus EV tariffs are technically variable so i would expect them to adjust accordingly albeit the peak rate will likely be a little higher than SVR. (back in the day octopus Go was really weird, i was paying 15pkwh peak which was massively less than the SVR however that is no longer the case).

The good news is there isnt a penalty for leaving so if you decide its not the tariff for you you can leave.

dont forget to make sure you have a referral so you get £50.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom