Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

you know.. forget insane standing charges or high kwh premiums.

Octopus have just upped the anti. they already give customers a free greggs coffee each week but now we can get a free sausage roll (meat or vegan) each week as well..... i shall have to wonder over tomorrow. :D
I love you. on my way to get the usual free drink plus a sausaaaage!

Last edited:

Octopus have just upped the anti. they already give customers a free greggs coffee each week but now we can get a free sausage roll (meat or vegan) each week as well..... i shall have to wonder over tomorrow. :D
They just upped our standing charges to pay for it. Nothing is free :cry:

Upped the ante*

£1,690 is the new price cap from April it seems - now to sit and wait a few weeks for Octopus to release their unit and SC figures so I can re-budget :D

I'm on the Octopus flex at the moment , I'm monitoring to see if the 12 month loyal fixed changes drops soon. I could save abit now and change again later as its now £0 exit fee. I'm sure it was £75 the other month.

I assume octopus have to email and tell people their prices are changing (I know they have always let me know and the one time they didn't they gave me 12 months bonus on my old price as apology)
so if you haven't had an email then I expect prices have not changed.

as for the £ numbers being meaningless. I agree however part of this is the fault of the media and the companies themselves by making a big deal of the yearly costs for the average house on the price cap. people are not stupid (or if they are then they should get help from those who are not)

the price cap should always have been advertised at the per kWh rate. (and then optionally followed it up with a "this means X yearly cost for low users, Y for average users and Z for heavy users)

they could also have had a simple calculation done individually.

"based on your usage over the last 12 months your projected costs on this tariff will be X and on this other one it will be Y"

which gives customers an easier way to work out what is best for them (octopus sort of do that)

Last edited:
Im with OVO at the moment on a flex tarriff but may switch to Octopus after the cap comes in.

Does anyone know what the new rates are going to be for the cap and when each provider is likely to announce what the rates are changing to for their Flex tarriffs?

I came across this on Twitter too.

Is that image saying that the bulk of customers end up paying way less than the cap or is that just because they will have loads of customers on old fixes?

That is tracker tariff, not affected by this ofgem cap.
So if i moved onto their tracker tarriff i'd be paying those rates too? Their current tracker rates listed on their site are pretty much what the ofgem cap currently is? Same for OVO who I am currently with.

if its the case that my average unit price will be similar to that graph then im deffo switching to Octopus

Last edited:
So if i moved onto their tracker tarriff i'd be paying those rates too? Their current tracker rates listed on their site are pretty much what the ofgem cap currently is? Same for OVO who I am currently with.

if its the case that my average unit price will be similar to that graph then im deffo switching to Octopus
The price changes daily.

here is a good website to look at current octopus tracker rates and past rates

Change region to where you are

Also shows tomorrows rate :) along with a graph showing how much below it's from the average pricing
Its cheaper than anyone offers for over a year now

If your looking to switch remember to use a refferal for £50!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom