Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

For a third month running I had to ask Octopus for my electricity bill. They keep not billing me with the gas. They think they've fixed it now and gave me £30 credit. Not bad for about 3 mins worth of emailing!

The switch to the Tracker tariff from Agile has been great for me, thanks for those that suggested it a few months back. I'm saving an extra £30-40 a month.

Also, the referral site I setup got 3 hits this month! I've had it up for a couple of months now. 2 normal users and 1 business. It only cost £25 for a year's worth of hosting and a domain so I've made profit! If you're a SEO wizard I'm sure you could do a lot better than me.

Last edited:
Nope, just that its under review so it MAY not go up by this amount

If it goes up and there is a genuine reason for it then, although it will still raise a grumble, it can at least be understood. If, however its going up in order to shift a variable charge (unit price) onto a fixed charge (SC) to guarantee energy company income (as people try and reduce costs via reducing usage), then that's wrong.

I'm currently with British Gas (standard variable tariff).

Looks like switching to the price promise tariff is about as good as it will get for now (fixed tariff, £75 exit fee for both Gas/Electricity).

I'm currently with British Gas (standard variable tariff).

Looks like switching to the price promise tariff is about as good as it will get for now (fixed tariff, £75 exit fee for both Gas/Electricity).
I was looking at that this evening, i was tempted by the Eon NextPledge tracker one, but ended up preferring the certainty of the BG one. I don't like the look of the standing charge increases though, think it works out at something like £46 for the year increase from standing charge fees. Getting a bit silly now.

I was looking at that this evening, i was tempted by the Eon NextPledge tracker one, but ended up preferring the certainty of the BG one. I don't like the look of the standing charge increases though, think it works out at something like £46 for the year increase from standing charge fees. Getting a bit silly now.
I've not checked out Eon, though that does sound like quite a price hike.

Just comparing Octopus with British Gas:

British Gas:
standard variable tariff (current)

Electricity
Unit rate: 29.38p per kWh
Standing charge: 47.56p per day
Exit fees: £0

Gas
Unit rate: 7.45p per kWh
Standing charge: 29.60p per day

Price Promise tariff

Electricity
Unit rate: 25.77p per kWh
Standing Charge: 57.36p per day
Exit fees: £75*
*no fee to pay if you switch to another fixed tariff

Gas
Unit rate: 5.92p per kWh
Standing charge: 31.32p per day
Exit fees: £75*
*no fee to pay if you switch to another fixed tariff

----------
----------

Octopus:
Flexible Octopus

Electricity
Unit rate: 29.38p per kWh
Standing Charge: 45.56p per day

Gas
Unit rate: 7.45p per kWh
Standing charge: 27.47p per day

Octopus 12M Fixed

Electricity
Unit rate: 27.83p per kWh
Standing Charge: 45.56p per day

Gas
Unit rate: 6.12p per kWh
Standing charge: 27.47p per day

Last edited:
I didn't realise there was a tracker tariff. I'll call them later again, couldn't wait any longer at lunchtime.

No need to call them to confirm can switch to it online, first of all you switch to Octopus on the SVR tariff (called Flex), and then you can move yourself to tracker once it's live.

Make sure you get a referral code from someone (gives both you and the person you ref £50 each).

Note: tracker does require a smart meter. In fact most of the Octopus tariffs do.

Last edited:
No need to call them to confirm can switch to it online, first of all you switch to Octopus on the SVR tariff (called Flex), and then you can move yourself to tracker once it's live.

Make sure you get a referral code from someone (gives both you and the person you ref £50 each).

Note: tracker does require a smart meter. In fact most of the Octopus tariffs do.

Thanks. :)

Just had a smart meter installed. Am I missing something or is Octopus Tracker a complete no brainer?
Yes. Although your way late to the party because once the new price cap is announced on Friday tracker won't be as favourable considering the risk. I'm sticking with it though regardless, saved about £800 since July and I'm massively in credit.

you know.. forget insane standing charges or high kwh premiums.

Octopus have just upped the anti. they already give customers a free greggs coffee each week but now we can get a free sausage roll (meat or vegan) each week as well..... i shall have to wonder over tomorrow. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom