Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Are those Octopus tracker rates a flat rate all day?

My overnight rate is higher than that, my day rate is 30p/kwh. Gas is 6p/kwH.

Got a smart meter going in this month so should give me some more options.

Yes, 100% recommend the tracker if you have a smart meter. Smart meter is a requirement though.

The rate changes daily but it's routinely cheaper than the SVR prices on the flexible plans.

If you switch to Octopus make sure you grab a ref code off someone as it's £100 split between you and the person who refs you, £50 each.

I've been on gas tracker since last Feb and there has not been a single day where I'd have been better off on the SVR gas tariff.

Last edited:
Yes, 100% recommend the tracker if you have a smart meter. Smart meter is a requirement though.

The rate changes daily but it's routinely cheaper than the SVR prices on the flexible plans.

If you switch to Octopus make sure you grab a ref code off someone as it's £100 split between you and the person who refs you, £50 each.

I've been on gas tracker since last Feb and there has not been a single day where I'd have been better off on the SVR gas tariff.
Thanks. I'm already on Octopus so will switch when the smart meter goes in.

This is what my Octopus tracker is showing for standing charges. The electricity looks a lot lower than many others. I only signed up to the tracker last week.

4IsbsWZl.png
indeed looking at it before seems north has the cheapest of SC n energy cost

So for everyone who doesnt fit that profile, what is the cap rate, since apparently the unit rate and SC are not capped?
Think you are being deliberately obtuse, the cap rate is quite clear to see. You could say the rate is taken from the 'average user' and serves the purpose of not allowing legacy rip off rates.

Less demand so more of it fulfilled by cheaper renewables.

Edit: also, this weekend was also particularly windy and sunny, hence even cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBL
Think you are being deliberately obtuse, the cap rate is quite clear to see. You could say the rate is taken from the 'average user' and serves the purpose of not allowing legacy rip off rates.
I am just confused dude. Not being deliberately obtuse, I even stated I am not being awkrawd, if you dont want to explain it, just say so.

From my perspective you have basically said the published unit and SC rates dont matter as they dont have to be adhered to, and then I questioned how can they assure someone isnt paying over a "cap" without an actual cap on the rates. It makes no sense to me hence asking for the explanation.

Trying to think about it as rationally as possible, you can scale the annual cost cap up/down based on annual usage, but the only way one could assure every single customer fits within the cap is to adhere to the rates published hence my confusion. I am obviously misunderstanding something.

Usually you get nothing but if you're lucky you can win some bill credit!

If signed up for octoplus the minimum you get is 8 points, which I think is like 1p lol. This month I got 32 points (4 spins x 8).

One day I'm sure I'll get some bonus points!
I got 1 once. other than that i just get zero , or when the octoplus is in play, 8 points.

@chrcoluk Basically the charges need to be structured in a way that where someone uses the benchmark ‘typical’ amount of energy which is around 3300 elec and 11000 gas (don’t quote me on this numbers I didn’t look them up), they pay no more than the advertised price cap in £, say £1500.

The published unit rates are how they got to that number using the typical amount of usage. The price cap actually varies slightly be region due to different distribution costs at the DNO level. What’s published is just the average.

Last edited:
I’m in Octopus region A (East England) and you can see how much lower my standing charge is.
i was stunned to see a mate of mine on intelligent octopus has an SC of over 60p per day. (I cant remember exactly and i have deleted the image from my phone, i think it was 63p but dont hold me to it). Mine has gone up to just under 48p per day.

The thing which is insane is, you can literally see a massive wind farm from my mates bedroom window, its on his doorstep. I am a big supporter of relatively low yield onshore wind dotted about the country to reduce the problems of having to transport huge excesses across the country, but surely those savings have to be passed onto the locals who are using it, and that clearly isnt happening there.

@chrcoluk Basically the charges need to be structured in a way that where someone uses the benchmark ‘typical’ amount of energy which is around 3300 elec and 11000 gas (don’t quote me on this numbers I didn’t look them up), they pay no more than the advertised price cap in £, say £1500.

The published unit rates are how they got to that number using the typical amount of usage. The price cap actually varies slightly be region due to different distribution costs at the DNO level. What’s published is just the average.
Yeah, but if you were to e.g. drop the SC a little bit and then bump the unit rate, you would get some people paying more than the cap, as it will be very finally balanced to achieve the target figure and that balance would be broken, and yep am already aware of regional variances, and the published cap is based on what they consider to be typical usage. Thanks.

200sols is stating the suppliers dont have to adhere to these rates on their SVR tariffs, (the regional rates for specific regions).

i was stunned to see a mate of mine on intelligent octopus has an SC of over 60p per day. (I cant remember exactly and i have deleted the image from my phone, i think it was 63p but dont hold me to it). Mine has gone up to just under 48p per day.

The thing which is insane is, you can literally see a massive wind farm from my mates bedroom window, its on his doorstep. I am a big supporter of relatively low yield onshore wind dotted about the country to reduce the problems of having to transport huge excesses across the country, but surely those savings have to be passed onto the locals who are using it, and that clearly isnt happening there.

If energy generation prices were also localised, Scotland’s electricity rates would be halved even though they have the highest distribution costs.

The east of England wouldn’t be far behind either.

Places like London and Birmingham would have the most expensive energy.

Yeah, but if you were to e.g. drop the SC a little bit and then bump the unit rate, you would get some people paying more than the cap, as it will be very finally balanced to achieve the target figure and that balance would be broken, and yep am already aware of regional variances, and the published cap is based on what they consider to be typical usage. Thanks.

The point you raise about some people paying more than the cap. Yes, that’s correct, as long as the typical use middle person doesn’t then that’s fine per the rules and they working as intended.

That's not how it works in the UK :p

The owners of the wind farm and the land owner benefit, no one else. The electricity generated just gets priced the same as the rest.

Just like oil here, oil extraction in the UK is all carried out by international corporations, so it's priced up and sold on the global market. We don't get any benefit. In Russia, SA etc it's state owned and cheap locally.

Last edited:

If energy generation prices were also localised, Scotland’s electricity rates would be halved even though they have the highest distribution costs.

The east of England wouldn’t be far behind either.

Places like London and Birmingham would have the most expensive energy.
Personally i think the Standing Charge should be averaged out and standardised for all (and SC should just be for infrastructure not covering failed businesses or hiding from price caps per kwh).

then I think there should be a carrot for people who have local renewable production in their vicinity with reduced kwh rates.

That way the infrastructure is fairly paid for by all, but at the same time people are encouraged to support local renewable generation... this could be wind, or it could be solar farms (something which personally i am on the fence about and would much rather more rooftop/carparking/existing brownfield solar supplementation etc but that is by the by) or tidal. am sure there are more types.

but how ever they do it, those people who supported (or at least didnt fight against) renewable energy in their area should not be paying higher costs than NIMBY twits in other areas.

i mean really it should be nationalised but that ship has long sailed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom