Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Because his standing charge has nothing to do with having a turbine nearby?
dude you argued before that "national grid" therefore different prices are not fair. Can you not see the double standards here?

IF you have a turbine generating power less than 1km away from your pad, then it stands to reason that it is a lot simpler a job to get that energy from the turbine to a few km away to the local vicinity rather than sending it to the opposite end of the country.

generally i do not care if kwh prices are the same for everyone, if the SC was as well...... however the reason why i am slightly arguing for localised discounts in kwh around turbines is as a carrot to try to reduce the pushback of people trying to cockblock any turbine construction.

Last edited:
dude you literally argued before that "national grid" therefore different prices are not fair. Can you not see the double standards here?

IF you have a turbine generating power less than 1km away from your pad, then it stands to reason that it is a lot simpler a job to get that energy from the turbine to a few km away to the local vicinity rather than sending it to the opposite end of the country.
'Dude' I literally said it was a national grid in reference to national grid infrastructure, your connection to the grid is maintained by your DNO so costs are dictated by them.

I believe the government were talking of having some kind of localised price impact for future on shore developments.
In fact on googling the link there are some more schemes that exist, such as

I have tried to look into the SC and the grid etc and have struggled to find any useful info.
Maybe the large infrastructure projects are not included in the costs for the local areas.

It still seems to me that the areas producing the energy should be benefitting from it partially even if its not to a large extent.

I think its a difficult sell to say national grid should pick up the costs of the large stuff and share it equally when from what I can tell the large works are really supporting just the south east and london.
Eg like I said the local conversations about the major works required to send the local off shore down to London from my area.
We all need to pay for the national level infrastructure that helps the south east/london, but we should pay locally for local distribution and benefit those in large areas with no/limited generation.
I means its 100% cake and eat it stuff. Brexit levels of honesty ;)

We'll make your electricity free at TN25 *** between 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM on Tuesday 09/04/24. Get ready to Power up!

Good! I can finally wack all the heating on tomorrow as it's going to be naff weather :p

I think its a difficult sell to say national grid should pick up the costs of the large stuff and share it equally when from what I can tell the large works are really supporting just the south east and london.
Eg like I said the local conversations about the major works required to send the local off shore down to London from my area.
We all need to pay for the national level infrastructure that helps the south east/london, but we should pay locally for local distribution and benefit those in large areas with no/limited generation.
I means its 100% cake and eat it stuff. Brexit levels of honesty ;)

I guess obvious issue that you cant really build the infrastructure in or around London and the South East except onshore wind which is basically banned in England. I mean where where would you put a nuclear plant or a wind farm in London, offshore wind around the Solent, Dover and the Thames estuary, is a bit of a no, no also.

I guess obvious issue that you cant really build the infrastructure in or around London and the South East except onshore wind which is basically banned in England. I mean where where would you put a nuclear plant or a wind farm in London, offshore wind around the Solent, Dover and the Thames estuary, is a bit of a no, no also.

Indeed we all need to do our bit in effect. It just seems a bit of an imbalance that we must build and enhance the national grid to move power to exactly these places but the rest of the distribution network we do not share the costs of.

I mean its tiny impact in reality but the old models are failing now the costs are so much higher.

if you are putting infrastructure in at the generating source for dc or high voltage AC transmission you don't really want the cost of tapping off that locally, just send it direct to middle of high population area ..
(I mean - we don't get cheaper gas or petrol because we are nearer the oil terminal/aberdeen, or Rough, either)

The difference between London and Scotland is circa 50% MORE in Scotland than London.

I aint even arguing for it to go the other way (following your example above) - I just think SC should be the same throughout the UK. At the moment, the "energy powerhouse" areas of the UK are subsidising the other areas and the argument for this difference - "distribution costs are more due to lower density/more difficult areas to run infrastructure to". no one is even looking at the fact that these very same areas are disproportionately producing the energy compared to the lower SC areas.
I agree, and I am in a low SC area, so if it was implemented I would actually lose out. If anything its getting worse as certain regions are now getting free energy occasionally instead of spreading that cost benefit to the entire grid.

Last edited:
Unless they are also funding them, why?

It's like some admission that an 'eyesore levy' is needed because people don't like them.

Its not a eyesore levy its a we need to make progress here and create a position where those impacted gain some benefit.

Seeing as we all agree we are not going to be scattering nuclear plants, wind turbines and solar fields all over London it seems sensible that those who need to be impacted see some benefit as well.

Its not a eyesore levy its a we need to make progress here and create a position where those impacted gain some benefit.

Seeing as we all agree we are not going to be scattering nuclear plants, wind turbines and solar fields all over London it seems sensible that those who need to be impacted see some benefit as well.
I'm not seeing what impact they have apart from looking at the things.

Where I am there's some kickback because they are building a solar farm all over prime farming land. I'm sure someone is making money though. Personally I don't care too much as, like wind turbines it's the future, although it does all look a mess. Certainly there's some NIMBY'ism going on with this stuff.
ywB5CjC.jpg

there are some crops which can do really well on solar fields apparently. (ones which benefit from the protection the panels can give and dont need the huge direct sunlight.

that being said (and i am genuinely asking the question as i dont know).... do we really need solar farms on arable land? do we not have enough brown field sites and tarmac covered / roof lined space to put solar there instead?.

I am no NIMBY and i would not fight against a solar farm outside my town, but at the same time, i would much rather have a couple of turbines instead and put the solar panels on sainsburys/tescos car park.

Where I am there's some kickback because they are building a solar farm all over prime farming land. I'm sure someone is making money though. Personally I don't care too much as, like wind turbines it's the future, although it does all look a mess. Certainly there's some NIMBY'ism going on with this stuff.
I'm sure there is. So if the reason local people should get some discount is because of visual impact people should just be honest and say it.

I agree... Why is an area of the UK that has doesn't generate any power get to benefit from the cheapest SC in the whole UK?

Please dont answer with the normal "because cost to provide due to population density" answer as the whole issue is more nuanced than a single factor.

doesnt the grid need to be load balanced? and also kept within frequency, thought that would require a lot more infrastructure to keep things from going pete tong and major transformers from blowing up (which take years to replace afaik).

doesnt the grid need to be load balanced? and also kept within frequency, thought that would require a lot more infrastructure to keep things from going pete tong and major transformers from blowing up (which take years to replace afaik).
which is precisely why having localised, relatively small generation is surely better.

but on top of that it is also why storage is so important as well as agile or time of use tariffs to encourage us to charge our cars and run the tumble drier when the grid has the most excess and only use essentials when it is under load (or generation is low)
and ultimately, whilst you can do so much with the good will of the people, ultimately money talks and so giving carrots of cheap energy and sticks of very expensive energy at different times is an environmentally friendly way of balancing the grid.

(then with storage, and finally as a case of last resort, curtailment of turbines). At the moment there is too much curtailment and not enough intelligent use of energy imo... tho finally other companies are starting to offer products like octopus have been doing for a while)**

**yes i know economy 7 was a thing years ago but intelligent octopus and Agile are far better products. of course then you have the problem with people refusing smart meters.... which is up to them, but then they dont get to moan if their energy cost rockets.

Last edited:

Well for example they are proposing a new solar farm near to me. Its going to take years apparently (largest in the UK I think) and they are talking of significant local traffic issues with all the construction traffic and workforce.
We know what that sort of workforce is like, they will park all over the place not caring if they affect the locals.

There was even talk they may need to limit the local (to me) slip road to give priority to the works which would have a significant impact on myself.

Its very easy to think there will be no impact when its out of view.

Back
Top Bottom