Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I still don't get why solar tiles aren't mandated on all new builds.
So let's say we build 200,000 houses a year with solar. They have 5kW each that's 1000,000 kW or 1GW that's about 1.8% of winter peak demand and about 2.5% of summer peak demand. It's all produced exactly out of phase with the seasonal and daily demand cycle. In 5 years you've got 10 GW of solar you have trebled the existing installed capacity. You have probably borked the grids ability to manage the solar generation.

I actually kind of agree with you it feels like it makes sense to put solar up on all new builds but you need to have something to do with it. Possibly the best way is large thermal stores in homes so spare electricty is turned into hot water for the house holder, difficult to retrofit to the pokey homes built in the last 20 years but could be managed in new builds if mandated. As electric cars take off solar could also be spilled into their batteries.

One of the problems with solar and wind is they lack some of the capabilities that were intrinsic in legacy generation techniques. Because their is no synchronous spinning component and all electricity goes through an inverter they offer no inertia to the grid so when you lose generator output or have a spike in demand their is no electrical momentum to ride through the problem. They also don't have large transformers at the production location so you can't play tunes with teh voltage and current to deal with a property of electrical distribution called MVAR's which is the effect of capacitnce and inductance on the gird. This is often called compensation. So you have t find other ways to back fill these essential capabilities.

depends how much of what you generate you lose to the grid as you only get 4p for it.

Im getting around 4.5kw with an 8kwh battery installed for around £8.2K. Payback is around 8 years at new cap prices.

In addition to this I will be able to charge the battery at 7p / kWh when solar won’t cover the days usage (on average 12kwh per day not included the PHEV). This will save probably another £4-600 a year.

I will also be able to charge the PHEV and in the future EV via solar or at 7p.

my view is electric is going to be expenses for at least 5 years + and will get worse for at least 2 years.

the higher the price the quicker the payback.

solar is the most viable it’s been for years. The panels are so cheep now, most of the cost is the install Labour (you can’t DIY a grid tide system) a and battery storage.

as a engineer the battery feels so wasteful as the grid should be my battery. However the economy of small scale generation export are rubbish.
You can DIY it, you won't get any export payment though.
I plan to give it ago at some point maybe even some batteries. Nothing huge though.

I've ruled out solar.

Done some research and with
1) my west facing roof
2) probably only staying here
3) fixed at 22p kwh until August 2024

It just isn't worth it

East /west facing roof is not bad (I have one) sure... the absolute best output is south but if you have south then the back will be North which is the worst.

unless you are a very high user you will generate more than you need at peak times and as such it is better to generate a lower peak over a longer period

this is where east/west comes in. with panels on both sides of the roof even right now early April I start generating just after 6:30am all the way up to almost 7pm. my 7.2kw/h battery covers some of my excess to extend my use further but once you go over that size the battery costs get really high

really isn't much point generating over 3kw per hour which my east west roof can do anyway.

How do the national grid think about people fitting their own solar panels?
I don't think they care there is nothing difficult about it, you just plug into a standard plug socket usually or you can wire direct into the consumer unit.
The inverter syncs to the mains and that's it.

I was holding off, but eventually, your hands will be financially tied. In order for me to get the EonNext deal, I had to commit to a smart meter.

With the migration to electric cars, you can see how they'll be able to recover the Vehicle Excise Duty through a smart meter.
I agree at some point it will make financial sense but not yet. And you are right it's pretty obvious they will need to recoup the lost revenue, what ever happens we will be screwed to the floor.

If customers on time of use tariffs can shift their energy usage to less busy periods, they could save money. However, it could have the opposite effect for consumers who need to use gas or electricity during the peak time.

So potentially most customers will be worse off. I haven't seen the details but I hope they still have a price cap on the peak rate.

I don't think they care there is nothing difficult about it, you just plug into a standard plug socket usually or you can wire direct into the consumer unit.
The inverter syncs to the mains and that's it.
Yeah but they are supposed to be told about it, right?

without a smart meter you miss out on some really good pricing plans. (octopus go faster in my case). combined with solar for the last 10 months what electricity I do not produce myself , 80% of it has been at 5.5p kw/h. you won't get that on an old meter.

and it's not really like it is paying more now to save long term with a dumb meter....... either people will be forced to upgrade if they want their supply to continue or fees on an old meter will become so high you will be forced to change.

Finally.... in principle I am not against charging people more in peak times.... on the condition that off peak is equally FAR cheaper and that everyone are given affordable options to be able to practically offset their energy use.
smoothing out the demands on the grid needs to happen and having peak and off peak rates is the best way to do this as people are lazy and won't bother otherwise.
however it does need to be doable by all and not just those who can afford house batteries etc.

Back
Top Bottom