Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

With ridiculous price increases, and now the threat of stopping shared accounts, I can see Netflix getting absolutely ruined over this. I think they need to accept that at £16 a month people were happy to pay the premium as they could share.

To me it's basic decision, keep it at the current price and allow account sharing upto the limit, or reduce the base price and then add in the extra premium for sharing. Having it both ways is just them being greedy.

To be honest was happy to pay the premium when it was £13.99 cause you could share without worry and it had the best catalogue of shows generally but now other services have caught up if not overtaken (I would say Prime with movies has got so much better last 12-18 months) and Prime and Disney+ are half the price now and less if you pay annually.

£6.58 a month for each of them compared to £15.99 for just Netflix is not comparable in my view now unfortunately. Will still look at the VPN options and see about that for savings. But otherwise will be down to almost no TV apart from free YT then.

15000km in 84 days. So roughly 178km a day. That seems quite a lot of power to generate via portable solar alone.

I'm guessing each of those panel rolls has ~40 panels on. They're pretty big so between 2000 and 4000w each?

If they've got 18 of those rolls, that's going to return quite a bit of power. You'd need quite the hefty inverter to mix all those together. However no chance they'd be able to fit that all into the Tesla. I wonder if there's a truck following it. (or maybe the 18x is a type / misunderstanding).

If they've got 18 of those rolls, that's going to return quite a bit of power. You'd need quite the hefty inverter to mix all those together. However no chance they'd be able to fit that all into the Tesla.

I guess they won't be using an inverter - seems like that would be an inefficient thing to do when the car can charge from a DC supply anyway?

That's correct.

Oh well, connected to a Turkish VPN went onto netflix incognito mode, signed up with a different email, chose plan, but then it wouldn't accept my debit card (not one used on my UK netflix account), no reason given. Managed to buy some gift cards though through g2a which have worked, probably lose 10-20% of the value doing it that way but still way cheaper than a UK account!

Oh well, connected to a Turkish VPN went onto netflix incognito mode, signed up with a different email, chose plan, but then it wouldn't accept my debit card (not one used on my UK netflix account), no reason given. Managed to buy some gift cards though through g2a which have worked, probably lose 10-20% of the value doing it that way but still way cheaper than a UK account!
Tried with a Creditcard? I used Halifax clarity fine.

I don't really get it. I pay 48p standing charge and then 29p per kw. I've worked out that 48p a day is around 14 quid per month and then the rest must be usage by electrical items.

My usage last month for electric alone was £176 so that's leaves me using 150 quids worth it electric per month with electrical items.

I decided to buy a plug in kw tester that you can input the cost of your electric per unit and it will work out how much something is costing you over a period of time. I chose the kettle as it's 3kw and gets used quite a lot. It gave me a total of 61p over about 9 days!! My entire house is lit by LEDs and the lights are never left on when there is no one in the room. I have two kids so the washing machine and dishwasher go on around once a day.

My gaming rig costs me about a quid per 6 hours and I game about 20 hours a week.

What in earth could be using the rest of the electricity!? The boiler is also a combi boiler and the electric emersion heater never gets used. I'm just a bit confused by it all tbh.

I don't really get it. I pay 48p standing charge and then 29p per kw. I've worked out that 48p a day is around 14 quid per month and then the rest must be usage by electrical items.

Don't forget that lovely 5% VAT that they always love to exclude (don't know how it's legal). ;) so more like 50.4p a day £15.33 a month.

My usage last month for electric alone was £176 so that's leaves me using 150 quids worth it electric per month with electrical items.

I decided to buy a plug in kw tester that you can input the cost of your electric per unit and it will work out how much something is costing you over a period of time. I chose the kettle as it's 3kw and gets used quite a lot. It gave me a total of 61p over about 9 days!! My entire house is lit by LEDs and the lights are never left on when there is no one in the room. I have two kids so the washing machine and dishwasher go on around once a day.

My gaming rig costs me about a quid per 6 hours and I game about 20 hours a week.

What in earth could be using the rest of the electricity!? The boiler is also a combi boiler and the electric emersion heater never gets used. I'm just a bit confused by it all tbh.

Well a dishwasher on a daily cycle will use around 1.2KWh and a washing machine on 30 degrees for an hour will use about 0.6KWh, so that's about 55KWh a month for those, £16 at the absolute bare minimum, a lot more if you wash at 40 or, god forbid 60! Do you use a dryer? Because they use loads of electric, is the oven on a lot?

Don't forget that lovely 5% VAT that they always love to exclude (don't know how it's legal). ;) so more like 50.4p a day £15.33 a month.

Well a dishwasher on a daily cycle will use around 1.2KWh and a washing machine on 30 degrees for an hour will use about 0.6KWh, so that's about 55KWh a month for those, £16 at the absolute bare minimum, a lot more if you wash at 40 or, god forbid 60! Do you use a dryer? Because they use loads of electric, is the oven on a lot?
The oven is used most days as well as the electric hob. We have a fridge freezer set to 4 out of 6 and the tumble dryer is banned

The oven is used most days as well as the electric hob. We have a fridge freezer set to 4 out of 6 and the tumble dryer is banned

Consider an air fryer to reduce costs where possible, takes about half the time to cook food and because it's so small it's using way less than half the electric. Electric hobs on average use between 30-60p an hour, and same for irons, I guess with a family there's a fair bit of ironing?

Also, games consoles and tv's when paired together can easily draw over 100W so if they're on for many hours a day that could be a factor.

Last edited:
So with adblock I'd never considered Youtube premium before, but now I find myself watching it more on my TV the ads are irritating, still not worth UK prices but for £4 a year I'll take it, which country is this again?

It can be very difficult locating the issue.
I'm assuming you don't have a SM? They are handy in seeing the amount of power being used and you can use the process of elimination to find the culprit. Take a reading at 9am then again at 9am the following day. Do it for a few days and get an average. My SM has been showing an average of around £3-4 a day for gas and electricity. In terms of energy that's 2 showers (gas boiler), 1 led TV for 12+ hours, 1 plasma TV for 2-3 hours, gaming pc 4-5 hours, along with kettle/toaster/airfryer along with phone chargers and random items and running the hot water for washing.

The meters themselves are hardly ever the problem.

Last edited:
It can be very difficult locating the issue.
I'm assuming you don't have a SM? They are handy in seeing the amount of power being used and you can use the process of elimination to find the culprit. Take a reading at 9am then again at 9am the following day. Do it for a few days and get an average. My SM has been showing an average of around £3-4 a day for gas and electricity. In terms of energy that's 2 showers (gas boiler), 1 led TV for 12+ hours, 1 plasma TV for 2-3 hours, gaming pc 4-5 hours, along with kettle/toaster/airfryer along with phone chargers and random items and running the hot water for washing.

The meters themselves are hardly ever the problem.
I've applied for a smart meter many times but never got one from EON. My gaming PC has been on for 2.5 hours and has only pulled 10p from the wall. Air fryer is a potential but costs around 200 for a decent one and that's not really big enough to feed 4. With a family there always has to be a consideration for efficiency of time too

Back
Top Bottom