Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yeah Sky, can't really blame their staff when they are reading from a script, but ridiculous to try to add stuff to my package and extend the contract another 18 months when I have rung to cancel the lot.
I had the same. Currently pay 35 but its going up to 75 so rang to cancel. How does 53 sound sir? As I'm ringing to say 35 is too much what do you think:rolleyes:, what's funny is they actually wait for an answer. We have netflux through sky, but had netflix first, does it just roll back to me paying normally?

Yeah Sky, can't really blame their staff when they are reading from a script, but ridiculous to try to add stuff to my package and extend the contract another 18 months when I have rung to cancel the lot.

Tell them you are moving house to go live with your parents and they already have sky. They have no comeback and cancelling then takes 2 minutes with no upsell :)

I had the same. Currently pay 35 but its going up to 75 so rang to cancel. How does 53 sound sir? As I'm ringing to say 35 is too much what do you think:rolleyes:, what's funny is they actually wait for an answer. We have netflux through sky, but had netflix first, does it just roll back to me paying normally?

Yes it does. You will get up to the end of contract going through Sky and then it will revert back to your original payment method on your account with Netflix.

Tell them you are moving house to go live with your parents and they already have sky. They have no comeback and cancelling then takes 2 minutes with no upsell :)

When I cancelled mine I told them I had also cancelled my TV licence and they still tried to upsell me when I stated it was illegal to watch Sky without a TV licence they went quite and processed it without further comment. Now they just mail me once a month to ask me to come back instead.

Or just tell them you want to cancel, your not interested in any deals, upsell or anything else. Please cancel the service now thanks you.

I have never had that work, ever. They have always continued to try and talk and get me to sign up to something regardless.

Or just tell them you want to cancel, your not interested in any deals, upsell or anything else. Please cancel the service now thanks you.

Never works.I used to try that and they would still try to convince you to stay for about 2 hours on the phone. Just lie and its all done in 2 minutes

I don't really get it. I pay 48p standing charge and then 29p per kw. I've worked out that 48p a day is around 14 quid per month and then the rest must be usage by electrical items.

My usage last month for electric alone was £176 so that's leaves me using 150 quids worth it electric per month with electrical items.

I decided to buy a plug in kw tester that you can input the cost of your electric per unit and it will work out how much something is costing you over a period of time. I chose the kettle as it's 3kw and gets used quite a lot. It gave me a total of 61p over about 9 days!! My entire house is lit by LEDs and the lights are never left on when there is no one in the room. I have two kids so the washing machine and dishwasher go on around once a day.

My gaming rig costs me about a quid per 6 hours and I game about 20 hours a week.

What in earth could be using the rest of the electricity!? The boiler is also a combi boiler and the electric emersion heater never gets used. I'm just a bit confused by it all tbh.

We our ANNUAL electric bill eastimated on current prices post April 2022 is £1600, which looks to be about right on previous usage. Thats £133 a PER MONTH. Bit less than yours but even then, when I go around seeing what it is.

I reckon you know, its death from 1000 cuts when it comes to electricity, you think of your 3KW kettle, but you only have that on for what, 2 minutes at a time, say you have that on for a total of 15 minutes in one day, which I guess would be a lot, and I drink a fair few cups of tea and coffee, thats .75kwh which under new prices, is what, roungly 27pence? (give or take) x30 for the month, your kettle is costing you £8 a month.

So where is the other 170 odd coming from?

Even things like dishwasher washing machine etc etc, the "big hit items" if you work out how much you use those it still doesnt add up.

I reckon cooking, partilcuarly if you have and electric hob, most people have electric ovens as well, will use a lot of juice.

But I reckon what costs you more than you think is the things that are just running 24 hours a day, and its probably more than you think.

Fridge/freezer
TV's or anything similar on standy, digi boxes etc
something like a CCTV system
Internet Router
boiler/heating controls (even a gas boilder etc uses electric for the controller)
Alarm clocks/radios
PIR lights (appreciate they are not on 24/7 but something you might not factor)

There is probably more stuff like this. Although each one probably only uses a few watts depending, I think as they run all day they will all still start to add up on top of your perceived big hitters.

Seems to be leakage, e.g. my oven when on for 40 mins (2000 watt) should be approx 1.3 KwH, but actually over 2. On old meter was over 3.

Really for proper diagnosis need a working IHD.

I discovered my bathroom light which is an LED was using over 1 KwH a day, it was previously on 24/7 my bathroom has no window and I couldnt be bothered turning it on and off. )will get more answers on this when I have a working IHD).

I discovered my bathroom light which is an LED was using over 1 KwH a day, it was previously on 24/7 my bathroom has no window and I couldnt be bothered turning it on and off. )will get more answers on this when I have a working IHD).

How is that even possible, what watt rating is that light?

a kwh = 1000 watts. Most LEDs are what, 12w? even on 24 hours that doesnt even get close? Must be some beefy LED light or something going on there.

I'd agree.. It can't just be the light surely?

To be fair, it’s only something like 42w to run up 1kwh in 24 hours. That’s why getting your parasitic draw down as low as possible in very important for saving energy. Death by 1000 cuts and all that.

My bathroom has 4 6w LEDs but I’m not sure if that is from the ‘wall’ or measures at the bulb. It’s not completely inconceivable that 4 bulbs could draw 10w each in total. Or 7 6w bulbs would also do the job and so on. Chuck an extractor on there as well and you are well away.

If there's any silver lining to this, it's those big share holders twitching as people cancel their subs in droves. In the streaming services thread many saying quality of the services has dwindled and just not worth the cost.

I'm surprised the lack of people still holding onto TV licences though, £13, bit of a chunk of disposable outgoings for some.

If there's any silver lining to this, it's those big share holders twitching as people cancel their subs in droves. In the streaming services thread many saying quality of the services has dwindled and just not worth the cost.

I'm surprised the lack of people still holding onto TV licences though, £13, bit of a chunk of disposable outgoings for some.

It is but it’s basically a necessity if you want to watch some live TV. Steaming services are good but they are not the be all and end all of media.

The BBC also puts out some fantastic ad-free content across all its platforms, be that TV, radio or it’s website which is why I don’t begrudge paying for it.

Under floor heating, the golden standard even the Romans had it and UK never quite got back to those high standards :p Is solar heating of water more efficent then electric, my neighbours had water heating via solar since the 80's I presume its less wear and tear and is its own storage of energy.
Maybe it lights his whole house because it's as bright as the sun to use so many watts
16 thousand lumens LED is a couple hundred watts, a bright light is 1 thousand

Back
Top Bottom