Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

interesting twist - more companies will go bust in october, because they bought the gas for upcoming winter on the futures market at the high prices that had been anticipated , but will now have to sell, at loss, at the lower cap rate. yo-yo
will there be a tell from the share price of those likely to be impacted.

interesting twist - more companies will go bust in october, because they bought the gas for upcoming winter on the futures market at the high prices that had been anticipated , but will now have to sell, at loss, at the lower cap rate. yo-yo
will there be a tell from the share price of those likely to be impacted.

You're taking a news report and coming to a  possible conclusion then posting that it will definitely happen.

The energy companies are saying to OFGEM to bear this in mind when working out the October cap price. The price cap hasn't been set yet so it's one potential outcome but certainly not set in stone as you suggest

The last thing anyone really wants is any more companies going bust as this will just add more to everyone's standing charge to bail out people's credit balances when moved to another provider.

The energy companies are saying to OFGEM to bear this in mind when working out the October cap price. The price cap hasn't been set yet so it's one potential outcome but certainly not set in stone as you suggest
the algorithm for setting the cap based on averaging bids from those of the suppliers around the bid median, doesn't let a company say we need a higher rate because we ill/over estimated the future market, in the same manner it didn't allow companies to stay afloat and then recoup their losses through higher subsequent cap (because the prices went up unexpectedly) - should it ? live and die by the sword.
The government needs to step in further for stability ... is the impact of energy prices now worse in the UK than any other eu country (the uk was reclassified as expecting low economic growth amongst the eu - qed)

I thought we are paying too much now for gas on the SVP's, but will not see any refund later.

I don't get these talked about measures for dealing with the October rise - they seem to be based around the notion prices will peak this year, compared to the long term, and eventually come down below what they were at the start of this year - I'm just not seeing that, we'll be lucky if the floor doesn't continue to rise.

I don't get these talked about measures for dealing with the October rise - they seem to be based around the notion prices will peak this year, compared to the long term, and eventually come down below what they were at the start of this year - I'm just not seeing that, we'll be lucky if the floor doesn't continue to rise.
I expect the mid term will be somewhere near the current price cap. I think (I hope) that this winter is an anomaly.

If it isn't... Doesn't bear thinking about

... April 27 https://www.barrons.com/articles/why-russias-control-over-energy-markets-is-waning-51651079853
Third, Europe is better-prepared for a slowdown in shipments than it was two months ago. Putin initially had the element of surprise. Now Europe has found new sources of natural gas and is expediting efforts to transition away from it. A new pipeline is expected to open between Norway and Poland this fall, and the region has increased its imports of liquefied natural gas, or LNG.
That leads to the fourth reason –- U.S. shipments of gas in liquefied form have helped Europe transition away from Russia and allowed some countries to start refilling their storage tanks ahead of next winter. The U.S. has announced plans to ship over 60% more LNG to Europe in 2022 than it did in 2021. Given capacity expansions at some plants, it looks increasingly likely that the U.S. can achieve that goal.

( ...
pity the UK doesn't have more storage though )

Shell finally changed our direct debit since switching over. Raised it way over what it should be, even when accounting for the debt, typical.

My wife said it was frustrating to get them to explain their calculations and apparently the guy on the phone couldn't see what kwh the new DD was set up for...

Got it reduced after giving them our usage history.

it's spring you don't need heating :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was 3c when I left for work this morning and I live in east anglia, not the Scottish highlands. If you live in a house built in the 1900-1990s (which is the vast majority) and you haven’t improved it’s insulation in anyway, you may well need the heating on at this time of year. Particularly if you have solid walls.

It was 3c when I left for work this morning and I live in east anglia, not the Scottish highlands. If you live in a house built in the 1900-1990s (which is the vast majority) and you haven’t improved it’s insulation in anyway, you may well need the heating on at this time of year. Particularly if you have solid walls.
#insulatebritain?

#insulatebritain?
That’s the point isn’t it? Although I’m not sure that is the government’s responsibility to pay to improve private property. Support yes (E.g. low interest loans), but not pay.

The government could have imposed requirements to make improvements on all homeowners and particularly landlords years ago.

Back
Top Bottom