Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I may have missed some better recent content as I'm fairly selective what I watch on Disney plus - but on my Philips 436M6 QD-LED VA there are tons of artefacts or blockiness in dark colours, parts of the image which are noticeably lower resolution or visually noisy, etc. I don't have it with UHD Blu-ray and decently produced 4K stuff on YouTube is acceptable.

The piracy concerns are pretty LOL as it is so easy to circumvent in this day and age (as I've mentioned before probably one of the reasons there is a push to try and get TPM adopted as it is a component in taking more control on something like that - though won't stop people being able to use capture cards externally).
I don't watch through a web browser so can't say but with the built in TV apps the quality is pretty damn good.

Gave up on having a HTPC years ago, too much hassle compared to a cheap streaming stick.

I don't watch through a web browser so can't say but with the built in TV apps the quality is pretty damn good.

Gave up on having a HTPC years ago, too much hassle compared to a cheap streaming stick.

I use both - but work at night a lot I tend to watch a lot of content with headphones at my PC while doing other stuff so it is much more convenient to use the PC/browser.

I used to be fairly happy with the quality until I bought more recent displays which aren't so flattering on poor compression quality.

be careful of agile... it was really good before things went mad..... I have a feel for it because my solar software on my phone which gives me access to my generation and usage settings also gives Octopus Agile pricing on the same page. the last week it has been ok, but before that for a month or so it was literally pinned at 34.997 almost all day, just a solid line.

Hopefully that wont happen again, but it could. I have not done enough research to be confident either way but IF it were me and IF i couldnt get on Go or Go faster then i would worry about Agile. at least it is capped however. i read some horror stories from people in the US getting charged bancrutping amounts of fees.
I have confirmed it is a cost cap so never higher than 35p unit, and I am keeping an eye on it. It interests me as Agile to me is the future, its a shame the wholesale market has gone to crap, I bet people were laughing on it a year go. The difference to GO aside from the off peak price is the peak hours can be as low as 4-6 hours a day.

The GO tariff and battery are the way to go, saving me a small fortune.

DIY battery, just added 7Kw of Lifepo4 cells.

My last 2 days usage below, Battery running 20hours a day /off during the cheap rate (5P/15P)
Cheap rate is heating the hot water.

So under 15p per day!

TRblhHc.jpg

SqMpJlt.jpg
If you own an EV yep, not all of us do though.

Now I have learnt agile is cost capped, I think it has my interest a lot, I am not that risk averse, if it gets pegged for a few months at a time but I make greater savings in lower demands I could live with that, but the unknown is if the January months of where it was pegged might become the new norm, however I dont believe agile is locked in, you can leave the tariff if that were to happen.

1. You can switch away from our Agile Octopus tariff to one of our standard tariffs any time without financial penalty, but you can’t move back to one of our smart tariffs (Agile Octopus or Octopus Go) within 30 days.

So basically if you start noticing a trend of pegged to max, switch to SVR temporarily, then when it starts improving again move back to Agile (30 days min wait).

That option wasn’t in my question !!
Personally I‘d choose streamed UHD over Blu-ray for Netflix because streamed you can watch it on release day and not have to wait a year for the physical media release.

That is assuming you have all the difference services that the different releases are on.

For instance Spiderman No Way Home had to wait from December cinema release to March for Prime & Sky Cinema stream release (which is pay for rent/buy) to see it. Still not on Disney cause Sony. Then the DVD & Bluray came 3 weeks later, not a year! And the quality of stream depends on quality of service so for Sky Cinema viewers need to be on most expensive package. So you need to basically have a Prime package and rent to be 3 weeks ahead of physical release for that 1 movie. Multiply that from the difference services and it isn't so appealing considering the costs.

But still it isn't a year between stream and physical release. I think the longest is about a month from what I have seen/brought and a chunk of them are same day.

If you own an EV yep, not all of us do though.

Now I have learnt agile is cost capped, I think it has my interest a lot, I am not that risk averse, if it gets pegged for a few months at a time but I make greater savings in lower demands I could live with that, but the unknown is if the January months of where it was pegged might become the new norm, however I dont believe agile is locked in, you can leave the tariff if that were to happen.

So basically if you start noticing a trend of pegged to max, switch to SVR temporarily, then when it starts improving again move back to Agile (30 days min wait).
you are never locked into octopus. it is the thing which makes octopus the best energy provider imo. the fixed contracts only benefits us

That option wasn’t in my question !!
Personally I‘d choose streamed UHD over Blu-ray for Netflix because streamed you can watch it on release day and not have to wait a year for the physical media release.

No. But it was the better answer.

Streaming is for people who prefer the perceived covienance over a quality viewing experience. the services are so poor quality and the content so fractured across so many sub par services.

,l
No. But it was the better answer.

Streaming is for people who prefer the perceived covienance over a quality viewing experience. the services are so poor quality and the content so fractured across so many sub par services.
These days convenience wins over the perfect world solution ! Also it's not 'perceived convenience' - Streaming is actually more convenient, over waiting for a Bluray to be released and delivered days/weeks/months/years later.

You could argue that unless you have your own home cinema, with high end kit then you're missing out the 'quality viewing experience' anyway. Pretty sure someone could review your 'viewing experience' and trash it down as not a 'quality experience' : You running 8k yet, probably not as you are waiting for the physical media for that ?! :p

Thought it worth posting this here
I have seen some stuff about the change supplier charge but didnt realise how high it was

So there is now a point where a significant drop in prices will actually likely see suppliers gain a lot

I see why they need to do it, else a new start offering a much cheaper price would be swamped and the suppliers who had to sell at a loss through the bad times would see all their customers leave to avoid having to pay their brought forward energy that would be more expensive

Its going to take some time to unravel all this, even if wholesale prices do drop!

I have seen some stuff about the change supplier charge but didnt realise how high it was

So there is now a point where a significant drop in prices will actually likely see suppliers gain a lot

I see why they need to do it, else a new start offering a much cheaper price would be swamped and the suppliers who had to sell at a loss through the bad times would see all their customers leave to avoid having to pay their brought forward energy that would be more expensive

Its going to take some time to unravel all this, even if wholesale prices do drop!

So basically the price is going to go up every 3 months, but is unlikely to drop even if wholesale prices drop, since suppliers are punished if they do so? Nice.

I think on next house is when I'll be looking at anything like solar.

You know I wondered about this last few months.

If wholesale prices do drop there's bound to be a supplier offering cheaper than your on. You jump ship. You were paying below market rate (price cap). You're now paying market rate. So your previous supplier has been subsidising you

So basically the price is going to go up every 3 months, but is unlikely to drop even if wholesale prices drop, since suppliers are punished if they do so? Nice.

Thats about my take on it, although slightly different

As the big boys buy a lot in advance we would have to wait for that to all ripple through before you could expect to see any adjustment to match more closely to market prices. Eventually they will but the buying ahead will act as a significant drag to adjustment
They would likely see little competition from each other, probably no or very limited new starts...

I think on next house is when I'll be looking at anything like solar.

You know I wondered about this last few months.

If wholesale prices do drop there's bound to be a supplier offering cheaper than your on. You jump ship. You were paying below market rate (price cap). You're now paying market rate. So your previous supplier has been subsidising you

Yep a quick skip which I bet we have all been thinking about isn't going to happen when prices eventually fall

So with a high percentage of the difference having to be paid over you as the new supplier would be taking loads of risk for very limited benefit.
I guess previously it was worth the risk for them as you may stay, even though I switched regularly I was rarely on time at 12 months, it would often be more like 15 months so they would have 3 months of "more profit" from me that they had not had to substitute the original supplier for.

Yep a quick skip which I bet we have all been thinking about isn't going to happen when prices eventually fall

So with a high percentage of the difference having to be paid over you as the new supplier would be taking loads of risk for very limited benefit.
I guess previously it was worth the risk for them as you may stay, even though I switched regularly I was rarely on time at 12 months, it would often be more like 15 months so they would have 3 months of "more profit" from me that they had not had to substitute the original supplier for.

Is going to inevitably make switching less appealing and favours the big players for sure.

Will it help avoid little companies coming in scalping customers then falling? Not sure.

I do agree with a more regular price cap (up and down) as it forces supplier or customers to run out of alignment with real. Prices for too long

Awesome...

To be honest I think any cap that forces suppliers to sell at below market rate is daft. That has directly destroyed the competition in the sector.

IMO the price cap should be set to achieve what it was intended to do, which was to stop energy companies charging much higher rates to those who didn't switch to a better deal.
As such i would have the cap set at a level thats based on market rates being paid by all customers from all suppliers above a certain size.
Add a small amount to that and cap it at that, eg +10%. Obviously anyone on the cap would be excluded from the calculations

I do agree with a more regular price cap (up and down) as it forces supplier or customers to run out of alignment with real. Prices for too long

I'm in 2 minds about this. On one hand, the longer cap allows people to budget more easily for the next 6 months. On the other hand, as you say it does mean there's a lag in how prices reflect reality (meaning both problems for suppliers if wholesale prices shoot up, and for customers as the sudden increase is higher than if it was 3 monthly).

As long as the cap comes down to reflect lower wholesale prices as quickly as it goes up then on balance I think it would probably be a good thing. Whether that actually happens on the other hand...

Back
Top Bottom