Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I hear you can even change it to daily or weekly. Why does it want to phone home so often? Once a month should be fine? But maybe I am missing something?

Once a month just helps you manage your meter readings. Once every half hour helps the grid manage it's demand/supply.

30mins is still pretty useless if you want to track device energy, like my hob/oven, and .. take back control, like the smart meter adds promise

It is a tad crazy isn't it. This is the prompt that I get on Scottish Power's web site,whenever I click onto the energy usage page. Edit: sorry for the large font. That's the size I have to read!

halfhour.png

It is a tad crazy isn't it. This is the prompt that I get on Scottish Power's web site,whenever I click onto the energy usage page. Edit: sorry for the large font. That's the size I have to read!

halfhour.png
I may have missread this, but the hand held meter I got with my smart meter only updates the gas every half hour (which is fine as gas is quite easy to keep track off), but the leccy part must be 30 seconds or so, which is more useful, but the best way is just getting a proper plug to narrow it down. The one I bought wasn't much, but it gives you a daily usage on the socket so for stuff like a washing machine or oven you can see an accurate amount which I don't think you can do with a normal smart meter.

r4today suggested existing energy £200 loan will be converted into a permanent gift as part of contribution.- Tiny Tim will live

will be interesting to see criteria they use to identify the windfall part of generators income, separating that from trading activity,
also I'd like to know what the effective price per unit they sold their generated energy was, which would show how much energy was sold in advance at lower than wholesale rate.

Inflation rate no gd thread on cost of living .. but the shopping basket feels more like 10% inflation increase over 2-3 months rather than an annual 10%(/9%) in media

r4today suggested existing energy £200 loan will be converted into a permanent gift as part of contribution.- Tiny Tim will live

will be interesting to see criteria they use to identify the windfall part of generators income, separating that from trading activity,
also I'd like to know what the effective price per unit they sold their generated energy was, which would show how much energy was sold in advance at lower than wholesale rate.

Inflation rate no gd thread on cost of living .. but the shopping basket feels more like 10% inflation increase over 2-3 months rather than an annual 10%(/9%) in media

Real Inflation is absolutely higher.
I agree food has definitely gone up by more than 10 percent in a year.

I don't actually know how inflation is only reported as 10 percent when it feels far far more?

Some of the things I buy have increased 50 percent. I remember some tortilla wraps specifically were only 1 pound for ages. Then I went to shop and it was 1.30. The very next time it was 1.5.

I can't think of many things that are under 10 percent increase?

I don't actually know how inflation is only reported as 10 percent when it feels far far more?

Some of the things I buy have increased 50 percent. I remember some tortilla wraps specifically were only 1 pound for ages. Then I went to shop and it was 1.30. The very next time it was 1.5.

Yes I noticed that during yesterdays supermarket shop many more people weren't just blindly chucking things in the trolley, but looking at prices a lot more, quite often putting something back and going for a cheaper option.
Things have gone up massively, and even a rumoured £400 handout from Sunak isn't going to help a lot of people much.

Because the RPI includes a lot of things that aren't necessary for life. Things such as TVs, white goods, DVDs, streaming subscriptions, etc. Most of them haven't changed much in price.
I went over some of our old shopping receipts a few weeks back. In 2 years we've gone from our weekly shop costing around £90 to around £150. That's quite a difference.

Because the RPI includes a lot of things that aren't necessary for life. Things such as TVs, white goods, DVDs, streaming subscriptions, etc. Most of them haven't changed much in price.
I went over some of our old shopping receipts a few weeks back. In 2 years we've gone from our weekly shop costing around £90 to around £150. That's quite a difference.

Is that a like for like shop? Ours has gone up under £10, from £40 to £50.

yes - longer term, but my suspicion of *recent* food prices hadn't been substantiated with trackers like the following

and govt basket for May hadn't been bought yet.(Boris&rishi need to visit supmkt)

We haven't changed what we're buying much at all.

I mean it’s definitely gone up but I guess it just depends on what your buying for how much. We plan meals in advance and always go with a list so have always been very disciplined in the supermarket. We make very few impulse purchases and nothing (and I mean nothing) is wasted.

I used to buy these frozen pizzas from a shop near me, they were £1.50, now they are £2.65, that's not a 10% increase, more like 45% Likewise the yogurts I bought have gone up 30%, as has numerous other things like coffee from £4 a 200g jar to £5.50.

The government handing out all this money, isn't going to help matters, its going to make them worse, they should be tackling the route cause of the issue rather than attempting to slap a bandaid on it.

30mins is still pretty useless if you want to track device energy, like my hob/oven, and .. take back control, like the smart meter adds promise
I thought the likes of octopus (maybe you have to email them) were already offering less than a minute option which Consumer Access Devices can exploit

You seem somewhat confused
The meter readings are that frequent, the IHD is basically real time (updates every few seconds)

So on(for example) BGs website i can see my energy usage in half hourly uploads, which means I can see 48 slots per day. Its quite consistent in broadly matching up to when I would expect my usage to be displayed. But it also gives the grid more knowledge on baseloads, peaks as more and more make this info available
I wouldnt want to have to be using some web portal to try to understand my energy usage at some point after its uploaded.

The IHD is what you want seeing as you can just plug it in by the thing your wanting to watch, or just carry it around if you are so inclined

For example I can go downstairs now, turn on my kettle and within a few seconds the IHD will show a jump of approx 3kwh. No surprise there. Do I really need to have that permanently available by the minute via the web so I can check in 3 days time whether it was 9:29 or 9:30 that I boiled my kettle?

There is no magic bullet here, if you really really want to know an individual items usage you need to get a plug in meter for those you can, and / or turn everything else off and use an IHD.

I suppose eventually energy may be so expensive that seeing the cost by minute may be beneficial, but right now seeing it by the minute is frankly irrelevant.
Maybe when we start getting charged in 30 minute slices being able to see it by the minute may allow you to turn things on and off with that granularity
When its by the minute you can turn your cooker on and off every 1 minute to get the best prices. Lol!

Last edited:

Because inflation is a mix of a range of products. Food might have increased by 15% but housing / mortgage costs have only gone up by 5% annually (although housing is excluded from inflation figures - I am using it as an example).

For everything that has gone up by 15%, some things have only gone up 5% so you end up with an average 10%

I Put some rough figures into the ons personal calculator and it absolutely undershot my cost increases.

It said my costs were basically in line with publicised rates. But I know that it's more than 10 percent.

It was also Interesting to see how much less we spend on basically everything vs the typical household.

I put in our monthly income
Average household expenditures and a few comments

E-cigs and cigs:60- too high? So few smoke now
Alcohol:90 - too high? Do people really spend this much
Energy bills: 121 - much too low this must be wrong
Homewares:225 - too high?
Petrol:120? - too low? Really I guess less people drive than I thought
Tv/media subs:27 - too low
Holidays:130 - too low we spend double that
Eating out:321 - too high? I am shocked by this one. I think we spend 50?
Clothes and footwear: 221- too high? Must spend 40. This one is again crazy

Because inflation is a mix of a range of products. Food might have increased by 15% but housing / mortgage costs have only gone up by 5% annually (although housing is excluded from inflation figures - I am using it as an example).

For everything that has gone up by 15%, some things have only gone up 5% so you end up with an average 10%

I guess in my head I exclude mortgage. Good point.

Yes I noticed that during yesterdays supermarket shop many more people weren't just blindly chucking things in the trolley, but looking at prices a lot more, quite often putting something back and going for a cheaper option.
Things have gone up massively, and even a rumoured £400 handout from Sunak isn't going to help a lot of people much.

I've started switching more branded stuff out for own brands. I mean things like crumpets, 60-75p for Warburtons and 25p for own label brands. Stuff like that you really can't tell the difference.

Its easy to work out the general cost of an appliance, kettle for example uses 3kwh.

If your unit rate is 35p kw/h then it would cost you £1.05 to boil the kettle for an hour, except you would never be boing the kettle for that length of time, it would more likely be 1-2 minutes if your only using the amount of water you need. In that case to boil your kettle its costing you around 2p everytime you boil it.

Most appliances you can pretty much guess the sort of load they will be using, a microwave is fairly inefficient and you can reasonably double the output power of it to get an idea of how much its actually using. My 1000w microwave uses around 1.7kw/h during use, but would still be cheaper to use than cooking the same food in an oven which uses twice that amount of electricity and takes longer to cook the food.

Back
Top Bottom