Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Lack of gas supply I presume. Even though we dont take much natural gas directly from Russia (though we still get about 20% of our diesel from them) and use LNG, the rest of the worlds demand for the same LNG has increased leading to potential shortages this winter.

And since we closed down a lot of our gas storage we cant build up enough of a buffer.

Which is really annoying as I read recently there is a cheap glut of gas at the moment but we cant take advantage of it due to a lack for storage

Which is really annoying as I read recently there is a cheap glut of gas at the moment but we cant take advantage of it due to a lack for storage

TLDR - Energy firms have pre paid for gas 6-12 months in advance so these drops in gas prices will not help us.

The conservatives decided not to subsidise the upgrading and maintenance of Centricas gas storage facility in 2013 and so centrica started closing it in 2017, which took 4 years.

You could argue why should a government be paying for a private company to do such things?

But then the counter argument to that is that things like energy security, food security and water security etc is absolutely paramount.

@TNA @Freakbro With regard to cuts this winter. We got very close to negative in-day capacity 8 times at least this winter just gone (October and November). Another coal station and another nuclear will have closed by this coming winter and no new stations will have been built. We have effectively come down to the lowest amount of reliable generation (as a proportion) ever in the UK. This winter power stations falling over with problems on the wrong days will be serious squeaky bum time. Any protracted low wind period similar to the winter just gone will mean every reliable generator will be essential.

Supplies would be turned off on weekdays at peak times in the morning, between 7am and 10am, and in the evenings, between 4pm and 9pm. Gas supply to homes would be unaffected.
Comforting to know gas supplies will be unaffected. It's just a pity gas central heating won't work without electricity.

Comforting to know gas supplies will be unaffected. It's just a pity gas central heating won't work without electricity.
Bloody hell. I left South Africa partly to get away from this bull. Now I find that the UK has been taking lessons from SA. Right down to the way the government is acting!

Stop it please!

Boris needs to prostrate himself in Brussels to ask for UK re-admission to share in the Norway (friends first) gas ,
he definitely won't be doing anything antagonistic on the NIP protocol now, the EU can retaliate with the gas trump card.

The conservatives decided not to subsidise the upgrading and maintenance of Centricas gas storage facility in 2013 and so centrica started closing it in 2017, which took 4 years.

You could argue why should a government be paying for a private company to do such things?

But then the counter argument to that is that things like energy security, food security and water security etc is absolutely paramount.

Counter counter point, if you are a government you can force them to do whatever you want to be able to operate in your country. If part of their ability to operate is that they have to maintain certain infrastructure and facilities then they will do it as long as its profitable to do so. Lets be honest, they weren't scrabbling in the dirt with their profits were they.

I'm guessing.

...but I believe a fair chunk of electricity is produced by gas powered generators, if gas is very expensive or short supply.

Well see, I hope not, maybe worth panic buying a small petrol generator now?

I'm tempted to get a small generator now. I can run the biomass boiler and heating control system (pumps, valves, controls) on less than 200W so will have some spare capacity for other things if the generator is sized right. Purely for winter, overkill for summer.

I'm tempted to get a small generator now. I can run the biomass boiler and heating control system (pumps, valves, controls) on less than 200W so will have some spare capacity for other things if the generator is sized right. Purely for winter, overkill for summer.

Seen one in Aldi £150 for 700w, will run things like laptops and home working equipment, phone chargers lights.

You won't run your kettle or stuff like that, but I have a gas BBQ and a seperate gas burner that would work for that stuff.

Seen one in Aldi £150 for 700w, will run things like laptops and home working equipment, phone chargers lights.

You won't run your kettle or stuff like that, but I have a gas BBQ and a seperate gas burner that would work for that stuff.
Petrol consumption/kWh seems quite high on these small generators. Can you connect them to your mains to run lights, sockets, central heating etc?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom