Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Petrol consumption/kWh seems quite high on these small generators. Can you connect them to your mains to run lights, sockets, central heating etc?

No not really, I mean you can run what you like on it up to 700w, but you'd need to start daisy chaining lots of extension leads off it, which again is fine if you keep it all under 700w.

Yes petrol consumption is terrible, but this is more for emergencies, I imagine a few hours during the day.

I know what my company is like and if we started getting power cuts their attitude would be "not my problem" and they'd start making me work at the office like 150 miles away.

You can buy portable power banks that hold something like 2kwh, would keep you going for a few hours but for remote work you'd still have the problem of internet access. When we get power cuts the mobile signal falls off a cliff but maybe it can be more controlled to keep some services going.

Last time we had a power cut it was incredibly boring, no internet, no saved media on my phone and my kindle was flat. We had to talk to each other :eek: On a more serious note is also meant no proper light, no heating and no oven. Not fun.

Even more reason to install a powerwall it seems...

Very expensive though.

We are getting solar installed at the end of this month, but unless you get something like a Tesla powerwall or similar system, frustratingly if you get a power cut you still loose all power.

Solar has limitations.

Then it's a case of how much do you start spending for "just in case?" I'm not saying forking out for a singing and dancing power wall system with batteries is a bad thing, if you can afford it sure, but it's a lot of money.

Can you connect them to your mains to run lights, sockets, central heating etc?

You can but you need to careful to isolate them from the incoming supply, not particularly easy.

We are getting solar installed at the end of this month, but unless you get something like a Tesla powerwall or similar system, frustratingly if you get a power cut you still loose all power.

I'm not sure if the law and regulations have changed in the UK yet but I think the auto-switching of the Tesla powerwall is prohibited here. Shame. Systems should be put and place and laws changed to allow people to run on battery in the event of a supply loss.

It’s not, you can run off grid if you have the gateway installed that isolates the house from the grid in the event of a powercut.

That applies to any system if they have that functionality, most don’t bother as the grid is pretty reliable here.

What's the best advice currently for renewal, crystal ball not withstanding? Ours is up in June with EonNext. We're low usage but this renewal is going to be twice as expensive as what we're paying currently for the same usage for the fixed tariff.

Variable:
Daily standing charge:
Elec: 48.13p
Gas: 27.22p
Unit rate:
Elec: 27.86p/kwh
Gas: 7.37p/kwh

12 month fixed:
Daily standing charge:
Unit rate:
Elec: 38.22p/kwh
Gas: 9.87p/kwh

Thanks

@Macky - Martin Lewis' best guess advice is to fix if the tariff is not more than 30% over the Variable

That Elec is 37% higher and Gas 34% higher. But like you say, no-one has a crystal ball so it's all finger in the air time atm :-/

@Macky - Martin Lewis' best guess advice is to fix if the tariff is not more than 30% over the Variable

That Elec is 37% higher and Gas 34% higher. But like you say, no-one has a crystal ball so it's all finger in the air time atm :-/

On this subject, our heating is oil fired so completely separate.

We are on EDF standard variable, 30p per khw.

They are offering 2 year fixed 35p per khw.

Standing charge is the same, and in the scheme of things pretty irrelevant anyway.

We use 5000kwh per annum, give or take.

We are getting solar panels installed end of this month, all be it a pretty basic system.

I'm thinking though it's a no brainer? Yes we will be paying over the odds until October (or whenever the next price cap review is) and basically hedging your bets the unit price goes over £35p, which it probably will.

And the over the odds bit in the short term will be absorbed a bit by the solar.

Sounds about right?

You can but you need to careful to isolate them from the incoming supply, not particularly easy.

I'm not sure if the law and regulations have changed in the UK yet but I think the auto-switching of the Tesla powerwall is prohibited here. Shame. Systems should be put and place and laws changed to allow people to run on battery in the event of a supply loss.
A good idea ....when you have a smart meter installed, get the installer to fit a isolating switch/cutoff between the smart meter and your consumer unit.
We did this using the pretence that we wanted to upgrade the consumer unit in the future.

Now that you can isolate the grid you have options open to power your house alternately.

A good idea ....when you have a smart meter installed, get the installer to fit a isolating switch/cutoff between the smart meter and your consumer unit.
We did this using the pretence that we wanted to upgrade the consumer unit in the future.

Now that you can isolate the grid you have options open to power your house alternately.
This still need a battery system or some sort of generator for solar to work during a blackout.

What's the best advice currently for renewal, crystal ball not withstanding? Ours is up in June with EonNext. We're low usage but this renewal is going to be twice as expensive as what we're paying currently for the same usage for the fixed tariff.

Variable:
Daily standing charge:
Unit rate:
Elec: 27.86p/kwh
Gas: 7.37p/kwh

12 month fixed:
Daily standing charge:
Unit rate:
Elec: 38.22p/kwh
Gas: 9.87p/kwh

Thanks
I'm with them too - my fix finishes on the 1st June but looking at my account they have moved me to the variable rate today with no way to switch to fixed so dont leave it to the last minute to choose. I'm not fixing as I dont like the idea of paying over the odds now for a fairly small saving in October onwards - might be short sighted but meh..

Profits from the crown estate are donated to the treasury under a tradition started by George III.

This is a non story
another article corroborating earlier post https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/snp-backs-drastic-cuts-state-funding-royal-family-96442

looks like the gas shortage post brexit was already wargamed 2018 - Media needs to start connecting the dots - EU will be watching us freeze.

but more and more of future demand will have to be met either by increased imports from continental Europe or increased reliance on imported LNG. In both cases, there is sufficient infrastructure capacity to enable this; the uncertainties lie in relation to the UK’s future trading relationship with the EU’s IEM post-Brexit and future developments in the global LNG market. These uncertainties will be reflected in the price that consumers have to pay to attract gas to the UK. As noted in our previous work (Bradshaw et al. 2014) the UK is effectively globalising its gas security and will be increasingly exposed to developments in the global LNG market

This crops up every few years. People love to ignore the mechanics of it to cry outrage.

Crown estate = commercial entity of the crown, net revenue of £270mil

£270mil gets gifted to the HM Treasury

The sovereign grant is decided via legislation to fund the Head of state, all staff and costs. This is around £86mil, it was increased a lot in 2017 due to the massive backlog of repairs.

Although linked by legislation, they are two separate events.

The argument the the royal family is profiting of high energy prices is BS. If people want to have a debate about reducing the sovereign grant this is a different

The argument the the royal family is profiting of high energy prices is BS.
they are profiting from windfarms and there seems inadequate data to confirm if the rent they received is a function of revenue of generation company,
it would seem wise to set the rent based on the revenue renter can gain - to wit high street rents in London declined during covid.

e: rent is a function of turnover V https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/08/queens-treasury-windfarm-bp-offshore-seabed-rights
BP claims it will avoid paying the option fee for the maximum 10-year term by making a final investment decision on the project within four years, and generating electricity from its turbines after seven. At this point the “rent” due to the crown estate would fall to 2% of the windfarm’s annual turnover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom