Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Where is double glazing on that list. Its so bizarre the measures offered by the government dont do replacement windows.
Also the schemes I checked dont offer a replacement boiler, they just offer a boiler to those who dont have one.

I did my own maths, my gas usage would drop 60-70% with a new boiler. As the pilot light is the majority of my gas usage.
good point on DG ..I would think most modern>70s houses have it from construction, and for earlier houses (and Maggies right to buy) folks have seen sufficient property growth money to afford it; are further upgrades to triple glazing, bigger spacing/coated on the scale of diminishing returns, if government financed upgrades it would be a bottomless pit

so have you measured pilot light consumption - with the ihd ?
my father gave me that gem from lewis, and looking up the install manuals and pilot light burner specs for their potterton boiler I could find nothing to substantiate it

was discussing with relation the 'saving' from changing a 20 year old non-condensing gas boiler(&storage tank) for a newer condensing boiler rated at 70% & 90% SAP efficiency,
Simon Martin Lewis says a pilot light vs electric ignition alone might cost £90gas/year , I'm sceptical on that told them to monitor it with IHD.
Equally the pre-heat on the 'modern' instant heat condensor we have is burning gas itself lol , although it is turned off during the day.
(It's the same deal with electric vehicles Kwh/mile is not the complete story.)

good point on DG ..I would think most modern>70s houses have it from construction, and for earlier houses (and Maggies right to buy) folks have seen sufficient property growth money to afford it; are further upgrades to triple glazing, bigger spacing/coated on the scale of diminishing returns, if government financed upgrades it would be a bottomless pit

so have you measured pilot light consumption - with the ihd ?
my father gave me that gem from lewis, and looking up the install manuals and pilot light burner specs for their potterton boiler I could find nothing to substantiate it
Pilot light was done via checking 30 minute/daily readings, gas is way less complicated than electric no need to go round checking everything turned off.

My pilot consumes about 0.3m of gas a day.

On the DG you forgot about private rentals, single glazing is very common. Not only that, also rotting wooden window frames and so forth with lots of draft.

I honestly consider renting out my apartment and spend winter somewhere in Asia. I work full time and my wife does only some freelance job and spends most of her time with our 2yo. Not sure we will be able to pay the bills in winter. I wrote already an email to entergy customer service on these contacts asking to explain me the such a gigantic price jump.

Last edited:
I honestly consider renting out my apartment and spend winter somewhere in Asia. I work full time and my wife does only some freelance job and spends most of her time with our 2yo. Not sure we will be able to pay the bills in winter
Time the started to bring in more work?

For those on Octopus without a EV, Agile might be worth considering.

So SVR goes up in October, then again in December, and After in April.

The new electric Ofgem rate is 41.88p unit in October (with regional variances not taken into account). Dont know the new SC rate.

Current unit rate is just under 28p and 45p SC day
Agile is capped to 35p unit, fixed for 12 months and has only a 21p day SC. You may also get cheaper electric outside of peak hours but of course this isnt assured.

Here is recent tracker data. Not great but during spring it was temporarily better, so it is best to assume you paying 35p unit all the time. http://mysmartenergy.uk/Prices/East-Midlands

I calculated for my usage, half of the higher cost before October is wiped out by the lower SC, but then for the 9 months after I will be better off, so this is much better than the current fixed deals that Octopus currently offer.

Post from here from a Octopus rep stating its for 12m.

I am assuming prices arent going down again any time soon, so for those who think they wont go up again in December it might not be for you, but thought I would post as its considerably better than the fixed deals been offered.

Looking into this but apart from that post from the Octopus rep I’ve not seen anything else which confirms the units being fixed for 12 months. Have you confirmed it with Octopus or seen any other T&Cs?

Pilot light was done via checking 30 minute/daily readings, gas is way less complicated than electric no need to go round checking everything turned off.

My pilot consumes about 0.3m of gas a day.

On the DG you forgot about private rentals, single glazing is very common. Not only that, also rotting wooden window frames and so forth with lots of draft.
3.5kwh a day! Just for keeping the thing switched on?
That's mental

3.5kwh a day! Just for keeping the thing switched on?
That's mental
Yep, plus of course SC costs as well.

I did some maths on the cost of moving over to immersion for water heating, it was worse, but not much worse, the idle pilot light and SC cost trash my gas efficiency. Its like paying for an expensive unlimited data package but only using a few gig a month.

Last edited:
Looking into this but apart from that post from the Octopus rep I’ve not seen anything else which confirms the units being fixed for 12 months. Have you confirmed it with Octopus or seen any other T&Cs?
I didnt confirm personally, the guys on MSE insist Octopus have never changed agile during the 12 months since signup, instead they will just make a new version on a price rise and stop selling the old version to new customers.

Problem is a lot of call handlers dont understand much, I had a lady tell me that agile is only for people with solar panels. If you do check with them please post here what they say. :)

Yep, plus of course SC costs as well.

I did some maths on the cost of moving over to immersion for water heating, it was worse, but not much worse, the idle pilot light and SC cost trash my gas efficiency. Its like paying for an expensive unlimited data package but only using a few gig a month.
How old is your boiler for the pilot to be on all the time. Ours isn't and the boiler is 26 years old and I have no intention of replacing it.

Just needs XTAR sending to the DCC to update the IHD, fairly simply process. If anyone is with EonNext and has any smart issues drop me a DM. Managed to get a few people sorted out so far :)
They are refusing to give me a smart meter as my meters have the old meter from British Gas which doesn’t do anything… can you assist with that?…

Back
Top Bottom