Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
People just need to live within their means, it's quite simple.
Instead of having the fridge freezer on all the time, just alternate. So you can have it switched on for say 2 to 3 months, then for the next 2 - 3 months you switch off and eat from tins etc.

Associate
People just need to live within their means, it's quite simple.
Instead of having the fridge freezer on all the time, just alternate. So you can have it switched on for say 2 to 3 months, then for the next 2 - 3 months you switch off and eat from tins etc.
You must be taking the **** with your fridge freezer idea

Associate
Too lazy to take a second job - check

Just wants to play computer games and watch TV like a slob, increasing power consumption - check

Expects free batteries for their mythical solar system - check

Doesn't want to make reasonable sacrifices like alternating fridge freezer periods - check

I think some people have a real problem here.

Soldato
Too lazy to take a second job - check

Just wants to play computer games and watch TV like a slob, increasing power consumption - check

Expects free batteries for their mythical solar system - check

Doesn't want to make reasonable sacrifices like alternating fridge freezer periods - check

I think some people have a real problem here.

States the guy with no rent/mortgage as owns home outright so is less affected by cost of living increases.

Associate
I've been weighing up solar since 2020 and never made the costs work so with all the talk here of how it will pay back and how MSE is underestimating payback let's see if you can spot where my calculations have gone wrong.

Exhibit 1: daily electricity usage. Electric cooker, both wfh. Some usage data from winter, then the smart meter conked out and took months to be rebooted. Oil filled radiators used in winter to keep us warm as we work.

mjiwJHI.png

We paid £60 in June for Electric and annual usage is approx 3300kWh. Water tank is heated with gas atm as cheaper.

Exhibit 2: annual cycle
OQPJZLL.png

The front of the house is south facing but has hipped roofs and a gable above the bay window, so no ideal big expanse of roof. We're near the sea so from autumn to spring everything regularly gets covered with a film of salt. Then dust at other times.

We expect to move in 8-10 years.

Calculation
Assuming a system with a battery as then cooking in the evening is covered, say £10k installed (I'm guessing what spec we'd need from quotes posted in this thread)
Expect all our Apr-Sept electricity to be self-generated (40% annual total). Expect 20%(?) of Oct-March to be self-generated (20% of 60% = 15% of annual total).
With a current annual bill of £1100 that means an annual saving of £600.
More if we divert to heat the water tank - say 6 months of £25/month at current prices (excl standing charge and 1/6 gas for keeping the pilot light on).
£750 total. 13 years payback.

When electricity prices go up 60% then we'd save almost £1000/yr plus whatever on hot water. ~9 years payback assuming prices don't come down again.

Hmm. Maybe now worth it due to the price rises alone. But it's marginal. Airtight double glazing could be a better investment.
Any bad assumptions in my calculation?

Last edited:
Associate
I've been weighing up solar since 2020 and never made the costs work so with all the talk here of how it will pay back and how MSE is underestimating payback let's see if you can spot where my calculations have gone wrong.

Exhibit 1: daily electricity usage. Electric cooker, both wfh. Some usage data from winter, then the smart meter conked out and took months to be rebooted. Oil filled radiators used in winter to keep us warm as we work.

mjiwJHI.png

We paid £60 in June for Electric and annual usage is approx 3300kWh. Water tank is heated with gas atm as cheaper.

Exhibit 2: annual cycle
Ns9D2gg.png

The front of the house is south facing but has hipped roofs and a gable above the bay window, so no ideal big expanse of roof. We're near the sea so from autumn to spring everything regularly gets covered with a film of salt. Then dust at other times.

We expect to move in 8-10 years.

Calculation
Assuming a system with a battery as then cooking in the evening is covered, say £10k installed (I'm guessing what spec we'd need from quotes posted in this thread)
Expect all our Apr-Sept electricity to be self-generated (40% annual total). Expect 20%(?) of Oct-March to be self-generated (20% of 60% = 15% of annual total).
With a current annual bill of £1100 that means an annual saving of £600.
More if we divert to heat the water tank - say 6 months of £25/month at current prices (excl standing charge and 1/6 gas for keeping the pilot light on).
£750 total. 13 years payback.

When electricity prices go up 60% then we'd save almost £1000/yr plus whatever on hot water. ~9 years payback assuming prices don't come down again.

Hmm. Maybe now worth it due to the price rises alone. But it's marginal. Airtight double glazing could be a better investment.

This is the calculator I used:

Ensure you change the drop down assumptions as they are very pessimistic. Electric at 15p/kwh for example.

I used 25p/kwh and 80% of own generation used. I got <8 years without load shifting during the winter (charging battery up at cheep rate).

It a good tool so it breaks down generation by month so you can really think about it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I think unfortunately as you plan to move within 10 years its not really something to recommend. Now you could be saying that and due to life it creeps over by three or four years which would make it more worthwhile. The biggest thing the government can do is to look at making dwellings that have solar (or renewables) a massive positive and start encouraging it as criteria needed moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom