Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
I've switched today from octopus to british gas, it's slighty more than I'm paying at the moment in both standing charge and per unit but I'm moving from a variable to a fix rate. Only time will tell if this was a wise move..
In my experience with both providers, you've just jumped off the comfy couch into the inferno.

Soldato
make sure if you upgraded to latest smart reader you take pics of readings, octopus came to upgrade my smart meter, then next day sent me a elecy bill for 13 days, bear in mind my normal monthly usage is around £40, this is the bill they sent me:eek:
Screenshot-20240711-170406.png

i ran out of work in full cardiac arrest mode and got on the blower, thankfully they could see they made a balls up and sorted it within mins, but my heart skipped several beats:cry:

Is anybody with tomato? Are they any good? Their tariff looks like it would save me quite a bit vs intelligent go - but octopus have been great for 3 years now….

This came up a week or so ago.
As I said then, check companies house and ofgen and if your happy with what is on both those sites then maybe make your switch.
I mention both of them for specific reasons, there could be more places to check, but I stopped after checking both of them :)

im going to be moving soon, i have read that a couple of octopus users have managed to get the account transfered
currently on tracker and want to keep it but the new tracker deal (july) is not great
so wanting to take my current account accross,
has anyone done this here?

edit: have spoken to octopus and they said yes it can be done, i will lose the £50 new customer signup bonus but will keep the older tracker rate

on a side note, as my gas meter does not always send meter readings i asked for a credit and got £40 off my bill, get in!

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else that's on Agile & has randomly not been charged for any electricity this month?

If they miss a 30 min reading you don’t get billed.

You have to spend 10 minutes calling them.

If you don’t and don’t notice, they send you a tasty bill after about 6 months.

Ask me how I know… :|

Soldato
If they miss a 30 min reading you don’t get billed.

You have to spend 10 minutes calling them.

If you don’t and don’t notice, they send you a tasty bill after about 6 months.

Ask me how I know… :|
Ah that explains it, thanks. I just dropped them an email & they got back to me within 40 minutes to say that it had already been flagged that a reading from 02/07 is missing.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah that explains it, thanks. I just dropped them an email & they got back to me within 40 minutes to say that it had already been flagged that a reading from 02/07 is missing.
Had similar when the installer from Octopus installed my Zappi - he cut the power into the meter so there was no reading, Octopus decided to bill me at the full standard rate for that day but did thank me for letting them know it was down to their installer, couldn't be bothered telling them make an exception for the sake of a few pennies as it wasn't a day I pulled a lot from the grid - had I charged the car fully then it might have been a different story.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with Gregg, maybe ok if there was a slight offset, but not a big one that sucked up all the cost benefits to the local area, I actually also support normalising SC even though I live in a low SC area meaning the SC I pay would go up.

Those moaning about wind farms should try living in a inner city area, I swap the two any day of the week.

Soldato
My smart meter engineer said the main breaker to my flat was in such bad condition he didnt feel it was safe to touch it lol..

Hanging off the wall, rusted, water damage.

Guess no electric smart meter for me then.

Soldato
My smart meter engineer said the main breaker to my flat was in such bad condition he didnt feel it was safe to touch it lol..

Hanging off the wall, rusted, water damage.

Guess no electric smart meter for me then.
Did he take any action like reporting it, at the very least writing a letter? I guess if you own the property there isnt much reason to but would help if its rented to get the problem resolved.

Are you going to get it fixed or just leave it as it is?

Soldato
Did he take any action like reporting it, at the very least writing a letter? I guess if you own the property there isnt much reason to but would help if its rented to get the problem resolved.

Are you going to get it fixed or just leave it as it is?

He called Uk power something and they said its not their problem its the owner of the building, which is my landlord, i called and reported it.

Will they fix it? Who knows.

He called Uk power something and they said its not their problem its the owner of the building, which is my landlord, i called and reported it.

Will they fix it? Who knows.

You do have some rights then in that case.
I believe the order is, contact landlord and ask for it to be fixed, if they say no then local council.

Where you have a known electrical issue it could invalidate insurance, plus of course be a risk to life.

Back
Top Bottom