Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I ran some numbers and found myself disagreeing with the expected solar repayment times in that table as well.

My new system going in will cost £8250 for 4.6kw of panels with an 8.2kwh battery.

I reckon those two will save me about £1k per year or so, and the system should generate 3.5-4mwh per year.

Winter won't look as good but should be basically free electric for a lot of the year, with the battery and a fairly high usage anyway, I should be able to use most of what the panels generate over the course of the year.
£8250 for panels and battery, do mind if I ask who this is with, It looks like this may make financial sense to me now. How many panels is 4.6kw?

Usage 2021
========
Electricity

Gas

Caporegime
It's not hard to work out the worst case scenario : No solar generation with the cost of charging a battery & car overnight for 4 hours and running off that for the rest of the day.

42 kwh x 7.5p = even you can do that :p
Assuming you don’t need drive anywhere though I assume. You seem to have 100% efficient energy transfer too ?

The government really should incentivise giving back to grid. Having people store excess in Battery at peak times doesn’t really help with increasing energy supply which would reduce prices for everyone. Also batteries are a significant carbon cost

Associate
Also - @crazyDAJT - you have had your battery for 2 months which is during the peak daylight time so, of course, your usage from grid will be lower but in order to be accurate, you will need a full years data to include Winter generation.

I don’t have a battery yet, that’s why I’m saying it’s way off. If I had a battery the savings would have been 2 to 3 time higher in my view as I think all of my demand inc car charging could have been done off Solar.

Soldato
£8250 for panels and battery, do mind if I ask who this is with, It looks like this may make financial sense to me now. How many panels is 4.6kw?

Usage 2021
========
Electricity

Gas

Sure I don't mind saying but I would advise it may be impossible to get them at the moment, extra demand, not in your area etc. Used https://www.solarpowerful.co.uk/ same as @SoliD

Edited my post was 12 x 370W panels so 4.44kw not 4.6.

fez

fez

Caporegime
ambient light is enough for the panels to generate something, they don't need direct sunlight. Even on a cloudy day there's sufficient ambient light to generate something.

Oh I don't doubt that but you get less than half the actual hours of daylight in the winter so already you are operating at 50% of summer generation ignoring the rest of it. I just had a quick google and number of places put peak summer vs peak winter at about 5:1 in generation terms which sounds far more sensible.

Don
Assuming you don’t need drive anywhere though I assume. You seem to have 100% efficient energy transfer too ?

The government really should incentivise giving back to grid. Having people store excess in Battery at peak times doesn’t really help with increasing energy supply which would reduce prices for everyone. Also batteries are a significant carbon cost

I suspect the mass abuse of the original FIT from companies looking to make a profit are what killed that Government incentive with leased roof spaces etc. I agree it should be paying much closer to the national rates than 4.5p/kwh though.

Soldato
Oh I don't doubt that but you get less than half the actual hours of daylight in the winter so already you are operating at 50% of summer generation ignoring the rest of it. I just had a quick google and number of places put peak summer vs peak winter at about 5:1 in generation terms which sounds far more sensible.

between 10-25% of what you'd get in summer, the more cloudy the lower on the scale it goes, but this also assumes your panels are facing south and correctly angled for the time of year. If they are east/north/west facing your potentially into single digits during the winter months.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Monitors don't use much power, I believe both of mine 24" and 27" use ~15w if not less. Nearly all of my energy use comes from the pc and fridge freezer. kettle boiled a few times a day, oven/grill/hob once a day depending on what I'm cooking, and a shower in the morning and sometimes at night if I've been working and cycle to and from work.

People are using TV's as monitors now, check out the threads on LG C2 etc. I also would think the high refresh and HDR brightness units will be using far more energy than the ones you are selecting.

Associate
I'm amazed that in winter you still get 1/3rd the generation when you consider:

Half the hours of day light
Horrible weather with heavy cloud cover a lot of the time
Far less intense sun

Even if you just took the hours of sun and the angle of the sun in winter you would be looking at over a 50% decrease no?
I've had solar installed since 2010 and my records show around 20% of summer generation for Nov-Dec-Jan.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
A breakthrough in storage tech would be a game changer. I easily generate enough over the summer alone to cover my entire year but no way to store it (and that is just with a relatively small array used to keep a backup system ticking over).

I imagine this is coming, however like typical British pace it will be bungled like the high speed train project..

Soldato
drying clothes indoors by which I assunme you mean on radiators if not good for a number of reasons. It fills your house with damp air which then increases the cost to heat (damp air is harder to heat) it can also create damp/mould.
No not on radiators. Just a standard indoor clothes hanger thing. I do it all the time and no problems with damp and mould

Soldato
If you really want to start skimping on power, when you leave for work in the morning switch your mains power off at the circuit board until you get back home

Soldato
A breakthrough in storage tech would be a game changer. I easily generate enough over the summer alone to cover my entire year but no way to store it (and that is just with a relatively small array used to keep a backup system ticking over).

I don't see that arriving at the home/domestic level ..
need an option where you give a local generation company (club) your £6k+ PV investment they then provide both cheaper grid energy, or .. hydrogen for your car,
this could be something like the inshore wind proposal where you can have reduced price energy if infrastructure is built near to you.
Paradigm for new estate housing construction could change, demanding such anciliary services

e:
My new system going in will cost £8250 for 4.44kw of panels with an 8.2kwh battery.

I reckon those two will save me about £1k per year or so, and the system should generate 3.5-4mwh per year.
that's still 8 years (considering capital too ?) so if you sell property have to hope someone would pay a premium.

Soldato
I don't see that arriving at the home/domestic level ..
need an option where you give a local generation company (club) your £6k+ PV investment they then provide both cheaper grid energy, or .. hydrogen for your car,
this could be something like the inshore wind proposal where you can have reduced price energy if infrastructure is built near to you.
Paradigm for new estate housing construction could change, demanding such anciliary services

e:

that's still 8 years (considering capital too ?) so if you sell property have to hope someone would pay a premium.

I replied to your similar assessment earlier in the thread - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...energy-prices.18948056/page-313#post-35715006

For domestic you either eat the cost of the new rates or you do something about it (solar). There isn't some magic company you can invest in that will save you money and centrally generate energy. If there was they would probably just finance it themselves rather than giving you a cut of the profits.

Solar payback under 10 years is fine if you assume you won't move soon, and that adding solar will add some value to the house, which it most likely will especially with high kwh prices.

To me it's a no-brainer investment if it's priced well.

Back
Top Bottom