Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Permabanned
Yeah I wouldn’t want to be renting things are massively out of balance at the minute.

You know what they want? They want obedient workers. Obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork. And just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly rubbish jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime and vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it, and now they’re coming for your Social Security money. They want your retirement money. They want it back so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street, and you know something? They’ll get it. They’ll get it all from you sooner or later cause they own this place! It's a big club, and you ain’t in it! You, and I, are not in the big club.

Permabanned
Personally I think vital infrastructure and resources like electricity, water, gas should not be in the hands of private companies who's only focus is profit.

Indeed, there should be no profit involved in essential services like these. British Gas have a 44% jump in profits due to rising prices.....

Even if profit were made it should go back into "levelling" up the country if it was nationalised.

Caporegime
It's not that big of a surprise. There's roughly 28million homes in the UK and only 31% of homes in the UK have dual income.

There's 52million adults in the UK, with 12million of them retired and drawing down pensions - so roughly 25% of households are living on pensions.

So you're already ahead of a large percentage of the population before you even consider actual wages / income.

I guess it's hard to escape anecdotal evidence. Every couple. I know both work. So it skews your perspective. Even when you know you must not be swayed by anecdotal evidence!

Soldato
I guess it's hard to escape anecdotal evidence. Every couple. I know both work. So it skews your perspective. Even when you know you must not be swayed by anecdotal evidence!
That ifs tool I linked will show you roughly where you sit on the scale.

Edit

Permabanned
Really is! Makes you realise how much airtime do few people get (the mega rich) the salary range in the last 2 percent must be enormous
Yeah it beggars belief. We’re just arguing and fighting over the scraps. That’s what Carlin was pointing out 20 years ago.

The game is rigged and nobody seems to notice. Nobody seems to care! Good honest hard-working people; white collar, blue collar it doesn’t matter what color shirt you have on. Good honest hard-working people continue, these are people of modest means, continue to elect these rich winky suckers who don’t give a damn about you….they don’t give a damn about you… they don’t give a DAMN about you. At all!

Soldato
Ha funnily enough our joint income is basically the same as yours, infact might even be a tad higher, few percent maybe.

But we have 2 kids 1, 4 years old we are still paying (nearly) full time childcare for (££££) and the older one is 15 and wants grown up things, and soon will be thing like driving lessons etc.

We have 2 cars, which to be fair, now we both work from home, we could probably manage on 1, but we live in a rural area so no public transport and nothing within walking distance. And because of where we live we are lucky, things like car insurance is cheap as chips, and I service the cars myself and they are not new cars, so pretty cheap apart from fuel obviously.

We dont go out to each much etc, which is even more expensive with 4. We've not been on a proper holiday for years.

But childcare, the 15 year old wanting "stuff" and using electricity, food for 4, added things like washing machine, dishwasher etc going on more. Petrol to drop kids at nursery, thankfully neither of us commute now.

We have a bit left over, but nowhere near as much as you, and I would consider us to be relatively frugal with our money. Mortgage is small (ish) but certainly still a significant monthly outgoing.

I am just getting a little worried as the state of the ecomony or what is starting to happen and the sector I work in (mortgages) but we'll see, its not quite like 2008 again, but I am starting to see "signs" of it, if I loose my job now thats not going to be fun as last time (2008) it took 4/5 years to get back to where I was, to be honest, given inflation, more like 10 years.

Similar position here, our joint income is a bit lower (closer to £60k than £70k), and it really is kids that are the killer, even with the gov. tax free scheme, almost half my partner's wage goes on childcare, never mind the extra costs of food, clothes (I keep telling them to stop growing but they just won't listen!), transport, all the clubs/extra-curricular stuff etc.

Luckily with working from home I no longer need to pay for my eldest to go to childcare, which saves us £35/week in term time for after-school club and £200 odd/week over holidays, and next April, the youngest will be eligible for 30 free hours, so again that should free up some cash, but with all the other rising costs I wouldn't be surprised if that just about sees us in the same position as we are now!

Soldato
Where you are in the income distribution is very misleading because it doesn't account for wealth and assets nor the amount you have to pay for bills and housing costs. Despite being at the higher end of the income scale on that tool, I don't own a house so clearly am poorer overall than a significant chunk of people on lower incomes than me. When I do buy my house (hopefully completes soon) I will have to find significant mortgage payments.

Would I rather be on lower income and have a paid for house - absolutely I would.

Soldato
Mortgage payments are still significantly less than what someone would be paying in rent for the same sized property.

Up to half the amount in many cases.
It depends.

My existing rent is lower than the new mortgage I will be paying because I have been there a while. The equivalent rent on a house now which is similar to the mortgage payment I will be making is about the same.

If youve been paying your mortgage for a while, mortgage will be lower than today's market rents.

Permabanned
£740 a week puts you in the top 1%, those footballers and billionaire hedgefund owners are the top 0.001% or lower.
They have more wealth than the majority of total population combined. The money is being funnelled away from where it’s needed. None of us on here are poor relatively speaking but we are far closer to poor than wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom