Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
What I can never figure out is that the median income is somewhere around £32K but so many people seem to be driving cars well in excess £80K and houses so many houses here are north of £350K and they're selling like hot cakes. It all just doesn't seem to add up.
I don’t know what that doesn’t add up.

The median means the middle, that means half of people earn less but more importantly, half of people earn more…

It’s very conceivable for two people earning 40k to afford a home like that, particularly if it’s their second or third purchase and they have been in the ‘ladder’ for a few years.

Man of Honour
What I can never figure out is that the median income is somewhere around £32K but so many people seem to be driving cars well in excess £80K and houses so many houses here are north of £350K and they're selling like hot cakes. It all just doesn't seem to add up.

Probably a lot of them are on finance and they'll end up on some silly PCP deal where they still have to pay 30-40K to own the car at the end of the term, or re-arrange the finance onto another vehicle, etc.

Soldato
For sure, and power couples with no kids are driving the prices of 3 beds up massively (looking at you 413x).

Of course but if they don't build suitable properties, no one can buy them.

A few developments near me are all 4 and 5 bed detached between 1600-2600 sqft.... No need for developments to solely have houses this size and cost (around £450k+). They should have 1 and 2 bed houses (not flats) with gardens mixed in.

Have all the singletons/child free households just to move miles away from the area and buy ex council cottage flats etc?

Man of Honour
Not many single people are buying properties north of 350k, so to 'cope' with that, multiple 32k by 2. That's 32k with 24k being tax free.

Part of the media whinge on house prices is single folk expecting to buy mega properties.

Housing market is doing some silly thing around here lately where the bottom of the market is increasingly being pushed upwards but the middle of the market pushed downwards to meet it, while the top end is as crazy as ever.

So a fairly big range of houses which come in at around that 350K point, while people at the bottom end of the income ladder are struggling just to afford a basic place while if you have a couple on ~32K each the opportunities are opening up.

EDIT: Not bad if you have a reasonable income and more than one person currently as a lot of properties which were more in the 500K range in recent years are now in the more 350K ish range.

Last edited:
Soldato
People just pump out kids for the child benefit and tax credits
Those days have passed there is a limit of two children. And to be honest we should be paying people to have children the west is on the precipice of a population collapse.

Soldato

Probably getting it all on finance. It'll catch up eventually.

Permabanned
Such a nurturing nature are you going throw them out at 18, tough love?
No but they can do as millions of others have done. Finish school, get a job or go to college. Meet a bird, get a house and pump out some kids. The circle of life.

I’ll help my kids where I can but I never had a silver spoon so neither will they.

Soldato
Housing market is doing some silly thing around here lately where the bottom of the market is increasingly being pushed upwards but the middle of the market pushed downwards to meet it, while the top end is as crazy as ever.

So a fairly big range of houses which come in at around that 350K point, while people at the bottom end of the income ladder are struggling just to afford a basic place while if you have a couple on ~32K each the opportunities are opening up.

EDIT: Not bad if you have a reasonable income and more than one person currently as a lot of properties which were more in the 500K range in recent years are now in the more 350K ish range.

You'd be looking more of a joint income around £80k for a £350k property, unless you have a big deposit / equity to bring over.

I know it varies around the country but I found it surprising the difference in quality of houses available when you go from the <£300k market to prices around £350k. The next big jump in quality seems to be >£450k but £350k brings up some real gems.

Soldato
Probably getting it all on finance. It'll catch up eventually.
It's the same round here I'm content with an old car (it's reliable and 8 years old vauxhall) I see no end of people driving high end new cars and I some of them barely look old enough to drive..

Each to their own but what a waste of money on a status symbol as that is all it is.

Back
Top Bottom