Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Heat pumps are not the future, they can be pretty lukewarm and to get the best out of them you need to ramp up the power, ramping up the power uses a lot of electricity which defeats the purpose of them.

With elertricity prices the way they are now it's even worse now than it was before the increase.

Right now there is no real alternative to gas, they will be here to stay for the next 10 years at least.

Associate
Waste of money. The future is hydrogen

Not entirely sold on that, think of the addition (clean) energy that is required to get hydrogen form electrolysis.

This video might give some hints about it.

I’m not sold on heat pumps yet.m, you need a very well insulated house to obtain the 300-500% efficiency that bring them cost comparable with gas.

But gas will get a lot more expensive as the environmental levy’s get moved over

Don
In the housing scheme I’m in, half the street have heat pumps, half PV panels + gas, energy bills for those with pumps is twice that of those of PV panels + gas at the moment.

I think I would need more PV panels and battery storage before I would consider a heat pump at the moment.

Associate
Can always sequester the carbon, it doesn’t need to be emitted.
The oil giants use most of what they produce to hydrocrack and hydrotreat their oil, to make higher value base oils.

You didn't really think they make hydrogen for us mortals? No, they use it to make more profits on oil while they can.

Soldato
Waste of money. The future is hydrogen

In relation to the use of hydrogen for residential heating into the future, my research and work with National Grid has found the following:

• Where hydrogen is primarily produced from electrolysis, NG modelling indicates this is likely to be less cost-effective for use in home decarbonisation at scale compared to heat pumps,without significant policy intervention to reduce costs.
  • Due to the process of producing, transporting and storing both hydrogen and CO2, hydrogen is a less energy efficient way of heating, compared to natural gas.
  • Given higher production costs for hydrogen in comparison to natural gas, the final product to the customer will be more expensive.
  • Heat pumps should be no more expensive to buy and run than gas boilers by 2030. Innovation funding has been made available to support this goal.
  • Consumers will need to connect to a hydrogen network to adopt hydrogen boilers, and this will not be available to everyone.

Last edited:
Don
The oil giants use most of what they produce to hydrocrack and hydrotreat their oil, to make higher value base oils.

You didn't really think they make hydrogen for us mortals? No, they use it to make more profits on oil while they can.
I’m pretty sure some of that natural gas ends up in the domestic gas distribution network.

They’re already looking at mixing in hydrogen with carbon capture to the domestic gas supply as a stepping stone to reducing domestic CO2 emmisions.

Associate

ENERGY COMPANIES:

bfi-harry-sally.jpg

The Average Citizen:

200.gif

Soldato
Heat pumps are not the future, they can be pretty lukewarm and to get the best out of them you need to ramp up the power, ramping up the power uses a lot of electricity which defeats the purpose of them.

With elertricity prices the way they are now it's even worse now than it was before the increase.

Right now there is no real alternative to gas, they will be here to stay for the next 10 years at least.

Heat pumps are extensively used in far colder countries than ours, Sweden being a really good example.

They work because their houses are built to a good standard, that’s the key difference. Generally speaking UK housing stock is pretty poor my most measurable standards.

Soldato
Most generous LL ever?

To be fair my LL will fit boilers providing the tenant qualifies for a gov scheme lol, otherwise its storage heaters, they did a mass email last summer, which is what made me research all these schemes, I dont qualify for any though.

Two years ago I told my LL I was going to disconnect the boiler due to all the issues, and decided I didnt want the hassle it was causing, this seemed to cause a short panic and they sent someone round to do a quote for a new boiler, and I couldnt believe it, it seemed like a miracle as usually the LL fights for spending £40 on something. But a few weeks later they tried to shove storage heaters on to me which I told them to forget, and instead they ended up doing yet another repair on the boiler. £1200 really doesnt seem much for a LL who in my case has made over 80k in rent.
i had a new rad installed aswell a week later as it was leaking, plumber who did this said the old rads are donkeys years old and been painted several times so wont output heat to well. i will be having 2 more replaced before winter aswell as another in one of kids room has a slight leak from rust and the one in the front room looks pretty crap to. i just turned them of for now to stop boiler loosing pressure.

Soldato
I am currently considering quotes for my new heating and hot water system. The idea is to future proof and have redundancy and be able to integrate solar later after I get new roofs (rooves?). 22 year-old gas fire and back boiler out, even older tank out, fit a rad in one room, flush the others, fit a good system boiler, fit a thermal store with header tank, and fit a multi-fuel stove with oven/hotplate and back burner (also connected to thermal store). It is really stiff at around £12k, but will have a drastic effect on my bills by increasing efficiency and reducing my use of gas and electric.

Soldato
Watched ready player one again last night for the 100th time, they went on about the broadband wars in 2025, you know what I think we're heading for an energy war, because if a 3rd of the population can't afford it, who's going to do the mundane low pay jobs they can't they would be dead or dieing through lack of warmth, hygiene and sanitary living.

Back
Top Bottom