Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Tenuous much, did I say they should make no profit……. NO :)

Energy is an essential making a slim profit is still a profit and could see the suppliers making the same actual amount of money as they did last year.

But you are suggesting what's already a very small profit per customer should be a tiny profit and it couldn't "see the suppliers making the same actual amount of money as they did last year" as they were making £15-£20/customer and you've suggested it should be £10. Any profit could soon disappear with prices capped and the wholesale cost of energy continuing to rise.

It could all be reduced though record wholesale price of anything need not equal record profit on the final sale, margins could reduce profits could survive!

1% is a very small margin of leeway to do anything.

Extension lead to next door :D
Bleh I wanted to post a photo from way back in the early 2000s but seems things really don't stay on the internet forever or search engines deem old things irrelevant :(

there used to be a photo from either the late 90s or early 00s of some hacker or whatever with a desktop pc plugged into a street light

Don't know what you're talking about, that exentsion cable from the lamp post has been there since I moved in

One place I lived in had a plug socket near the front door which was most mysterious (and IMO dangerous) it was still live with everything off at the consumer unit, would still have power often during power cuts unless they were widespread. I can only assume a previous owner did something dodgy but no one wanted to investigate it LOL and nothing to do with me.

When Eon released the v11 I went to fix to it and it got pulled mid way through my application. So I'm just going to stay on a flexible tariff for now. I don't see any viable alternative.

When Eon released the v11 I went to fix to it and it got pulled mid way through my application. So I'm just going to stay on a flexible tariff for now. I don't see any viable alternative.

Happened to a few family members umming and ahhing yesterday. Like me rushed to see if what was available was still there to sign up to but nope, gone, they were fast. Almost as if they knew what was going to be publicly announced...

42p kWh fixed isn't appealing. I'm currently on 16.8p until the end of the month and then up ton the cap from then on.

There it is, we've finally cracked $2.20.

j14p0j.png

Glad I filled up at $1.74 on Monday.

I did see that post but, as you say, I was expecting you'd posted something a little more detailed.

Who do you envisage would be paying a lower social tariff?

I expect if it was to happen the most feasible way would be to flag any account holder who is in receipt of means tested benefits. This would likely cover the poorest pensioners, poorest workers and unemployed.

What I think is more likely as it would be cheaper and less complex is just a boost to WHD, would cover far less people and they would need to wait until next winter, but perhaps still give the political points.

My comments on discord this morning about this subject

I checked the current fixed deal from Octopus and unsurprisingly given the events of the last few days I will be ****** hard even if prices went up 100% next October.

The only way it would perhaps make sense is if the 6 month review is brought forward or it was a 2+ year deal.

Happened to a few family members umming and ahhing yesterday. Like me rushed to see if what was available was still there to sign up to but nope, gone, they were fast. Almost as if they knew what was going to be publicly announced...

42p kWh fixed isn't appealing. I'm currently on 16.8p until the end of the month and then up ton the cap from then on.

Same here. I think I was just shocked and kept looking and hoping something would come up but it didn't and then missed the boat. I have quite a bit in credit so have phoned them up and will put that towards lower monthly payments instead of taking it out.

There was an interesting statement from Conoco Phillips CEO yesterday about demand destruction. He feels we're getting close with crude and gas prices where the inflated prices will cause a significant collapse in demand as businesses and residential users cut back heavily.
Whatever happens, prices are now reaching comedy levels of expensive so I've stopped worrying about it.

I checked the current fixed deal from Octopus and unsurprisingly given the events of the last few days I will be ****** hard even if prices went up 100% next October.

The only way it would perhaps make sense is if the 6 month review is brought forward or it was a 2+ year deal.

Yeah, kicking myself for not jumping on the BG 2 year fix at "only" 32p/unit 54p standing electric, 8.5p/unit 27p standing gas :(

Whatever happens, prices are now reaching comedy levels of expensive so I've stopped worrying about it.

Yeah, it's quite grim in a "I can't afford it anyway so it doesn't matter if it's £100 or £1,000/month over budget" way :p

Back
Top Bottom