Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

When moving into our new rental the previous occupants we're with green, tried to change it Octopus but green declined as they we're going bust. Took Shell 6 months to get the Green Account, bill was originally £715 and now it's £900. We're paying £150 a month. but i suspect this will be bad for customers who we're on the smaller firms that went into administration. There is no easy way out of this.

Anyone complaining about the monthly debit debit being increased needs to switch to whole amount (you can only do it by calling your provider)

You're aware that prices are going up right? People's direct debits aren't going up for no reason, they are going up because the energy they are using costs more. Whether you're paying for exactly your usage for the previous month or paying for your estimated annual usage/12 doesn't matter if the cost of what have used has increased.

I understand fine and considering energy supply to be a normal business is a little odd. I’d love someone to explain if 170million profit was ok last year why does a company need to make 300 million this year just because the wholesale cost of what they supply has been increasing?

Also why do we charge VAT on an essential isn’t it supposed to be a luxuries tax?

You've no idea what profit energy companies are going to make this year, if any.

Nil would be good but for now be thankful VAT is only 5% when many of our European neighbours are being charged four times as much.

but i suspect this will be bad for customers who we're on the smaller firms that went into administration. There is no easy way out of this.

They're in the same boat as millions of others paying standard variable rate unless they managed to switch to a fixed price.

You've no idea what profit energy companies are going to make this year, if any.
The surviving ones will make a ******* killing.

Most of the more established ones hedged the bulk of their gas and electricity for 12 months ahead, so are paying fairly normal prices, but are bumping up consumer prices as soon and as much as they are able.

Once their hedging is used up, they will be at the mercy of price caps, though.

You're aware that prices are going up right? People's direct debits aren't going up for no reason, they are going up because the energy they are using costs more. Whether you're paying for exactly your usage for the previous month or paying for your estimated annual usage/12 doesn't matter if the cost of what have used has increased.
What I meant was people on a Monthly Debit Debit are getting an estimated usage increase which is the worst way of paying your bills.

What I meant was people on a Monthly Debit Debit are getting an estimated usage increase which is the worst way of paying your bills.

But it isn't the usage which is increasing, it's the cost of that usage, and assuming they've been making accurate meter readings and haven't made any changes to their average usage, then the estimates should be pretty accurate.

Either way they'll be paying the same amount over a 12 month period, it's just with fixed direct debit they'll pay 12x the average amount, whereas with full bill they'll pay a lot less in summer and a lot more in winter.

Its the standing charge that is ********* criminal. I am happy to pay for what I use but the privilege for having a electricity line into my house that suddenly goes up due to OFGEM being complete ******* and the Tory goverment not wanting to lose elections by telling their OFGEM bum boys from ETON to keep a lid on it please chaps.

Ineptitude of the highest order from the Tory ********* in charge. It should have never ever been privatised in the first place. Bunch of **** ******* ***** ** ******** ************* ***************** ************ pillocks.

Its the standing charge that is ********* criminal. I am happy to pay for what I use but the privilege for having a electricity line into my house that suddenly goes up due to OFGEM being complete ******* and the Tory goverment not wanting to lose elections by telling their OFGEM bum boys from ETON to keep a lid on it please chaps.

Ineptitude of the highest order from the Tory ********* in charge. It should have never ever been privatised in the first place. Bunch of **** ******* ***** ** ******** ************* ***************** ************ pillocks.

This

I've just bought some heating oil...sweet mother of Jesus it was painful @ 147p but I risk running out and it going higher if I wait another month

I've just bought some heating oil...sweet mother of Jesus it was painful @ 147p but I risk running out and it going higher if I wait another month
I'm about 3 weeks from running out. Oil commodity prices eased off a bit after peaking on Monday. I'm hoping that continues a bit and filters through to heating oil before I am forced to buy (usually lags a bit)

I'm about 3 weeks from running out. Oil commodity prices eased off a bit after peaking on Monday. I'm hoping that continues a bit and filters through to heating oil before I am forced to buy (usually lags a bit)
2 companies won't quote due to supply issues and boiler juice was just over £1000(!) for 500l. Im in the same position you are, got about 3 maybe 4 weeks left but we got a little one and 2 other slightly little ones and the wife will hit the roof if we don't have hot water so I've bitten the bullet and gone for it now rather than wait. I'm hoping the heating will be off by the end of the month and but I'm gonna start cutting up all the spare wood I've got lying around and get the burner going again.
Genuinely get worried about how we are going to cope if this continues.

2 companies won't quote due to supply issues and boiler juice was just over £1000(!) for 500l. Im in the same position you are, got about 3 maybe 4 weeks left but we got a little one and 2 other slightly little ones and the wife will hit the roof if we don't have hot water so I've bitten the bullet and gone for it now rather than wait. I'm hoping the heating will be off by the end of the month and but I'm gonna start cutting up all the spare wood I've got lying around and get the burner going again.
Genuinely get worried about how we are going to cope if this continues.
**** £2/litre?!

I've turned the heating off as of the weekend, though it's been a bit nippy this week. We've got an immersion heater for hot water if the oil does run out, but it's ******* expensive using electric for hot water (i might have to try to work out if the electric price cap actually makes it cheaper than oil at those prices).

We're fortunate in that we can still afford the high prices, but we're certainly not rich enough that we won't notice an impact on household budget. A couple of hundred quid per month is going to be missed.

Nil would be good but for now be thankful VAT is only 5% when many of our European neighbours are being charged four times as much.

They're in the same boat as millions of others paying standard variable rate unless they managed to switch to a fixed price.
I’ll bet you a tenner British Gas records higher profits for the 2022 than 2021?

What bearing does VAT in the EU have in us? We left precisely so we could set our own rates yet still our government will be racking in the revenue, they could half it and still make take more actual tax then they did the year before!

Last edited:
**** £2/litre?!

I've turned the heating off as of the weekend, though it's been a bit nippy this week. We've got an immersion heater for hot water if the oil does run out, but it's ******* expensive using electric for hot water (i might have to try to work out if the electric price cap actually makes it cheaper than oil at those prices).

We're fortunate in that we can still afford the high prices, but we're certainly not rich enough that we won't notice an impact on household budget. A couple of hundred quid per month is going to be missed.

Nearly had a heart attack when I saw it

Out of interest those of you using oil for your heating how much do you spend a month? Before the crazy rises.
I bought £314 of oil pretty much bang on 3 months ago, and will need to top up again by the end of the month. So about £90/month during the coldest months.

It's a lot less in warmer months, when it's just for hot water. I dont have an accurate number for it, but I would guess about £40/month.

Price goes up and down. Sometimes it's cheaper than gas, other times it's more.

Back
Top Bottom