Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I had a look at octopus tracker, but I can only see the electric not gas. I've emailed them, buy has anyone joined them recently on just the gas tracker?
You have to ask the customer services to get on just the gas tracker, the training is hit and miss so may have to ask multiple times. Some untrained staff may tell you its uncapped etc, persist with it.

Soldato
Those predicted energy prices for next year are going to be a problem for all businesses and services, schools and public places. Do schools pay their energy bill or if their budget? How does that work?
Yeah schools are given a budget and they have to try stick to it. That budget won't take into account rising energy price most likely so money will be taken from some other pot to cover energy resulting in worse schooling. There isn't a terrible amount of immediate blowback if they go above budget though as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
Yowzers, Eon:N renewal time is now available for my household and the best fixed for a year is Next Online v19 - Monthly - £255.22p, up from £93. Do you commit or place faith that the government will support households on the variable cap in the coming weeks / months?

TypeUnit RateStanding Charge
Electricity61.60p32.14p
Gas15.26p27.22p

Soldato
What do you think you using then to use it? If you could answer I wouldnt mind as I am really curious.

18kwh is equal to a constant drain of 750watts. If e.g. you each had your own tv, own games console, and were in your own rooms not together all the time, you still wouldnt be anywhere near it. Maybe lots of long electric shower and hair dryer usage?

My sister has 4 in her household and uses less than me, and I am a light user. She still only has one fridge, one microwave, one cooker.

It is interesting that some think electric usage increases linearly with occupants.

Our use mostly consists of the following:
  • Working from home - a desktop and laptop on for 8+ hours, Mon-Fri
  • Using the oven 3-4 times a day. Cooking lunch and dinner at different times
  • Heating home water for 30-45mins a day
  • Gaming PC / PS5 on for 2-3 hours a day
  • Washing machine 4-6 times a week
  • Dishwasher 1-2 times a day
  • 3x tropical fish tanks : water heater, filter, bubbles, wavemaker going 24/7 (heater intermittent)

Here is a graph showing our typical energy consumption on a week day : about 17 kWh (without any EV charging). [Although we were out from 3pm to midnight on this day, so there was no oven or any other home use in the evening]. The energy use from 3pm would be dishwasher set before we left.

52301823562_882d85b516_z.jpg

:: EDIT ::

This is probably a better example - Wed 27th July. [Difficult finding a day where i'm not charging my car, from grid or solar, which adds significant extra use]

52301839592_0b5400a975_z.jpg

Soldato
Yowzers, Eon:N renewal time is now available for my household and the best fixed for a year is Next Online v19 - Monthly - £255.22p, up from £93. Do you commit or place faith that the government will support households on the variable cap in the coming weeks / months?

TypeUnit RateStanding Charge
Electricity61.60p32.14p
Gas15.26p27.22p
The bigger question is why do you think GD is able to answer that for you?

Soldato
  • 3x tropical fish tanks : water heater, filter, bubbles, wavemaker going 24/7 (heater intermittent)

Here is a graph showing our typical energy consumption on a week day : about 17 kWh (without any an EV charging)

The fish tanks wont help... Dont get me wrong, pets are pets and can be expensive so i am not suggesting you should ditch them... but getting on for a decade ago i had a marine fishtank (admittedly it was a large one with a sump) but i was as energy efficient with it as i could be with gravity fed skimmer using the water circulation pump rather than its own supply etc.

but i worked out that was costing me £30 a month in the cooler months. This was when energy was much much cheaper. I imagine your tanks wont be costing too much now but just be prepared for winter esp as energy will have gone up again. on the bright side it will help heat the rooms they are in so it isnt all bad.

All i can suggest is you also add in the petrol/diesel bill you are saving by WFH as part of your cost analysis. All that energy use will be lost as heat so in theory may cost you less to heat the home in the evening when you would be in anyway than if you had been at work all day. For most people WFH is cheaper than driving to the office - unless it is within cycling range - but your utility bills do take a hit.

I do miss my fish tank sometimes but could not justify the costs along with the work in maintanence and the full on chemistry set needed :(

Soldato

Here is a graph showing our typical energy consumption on a week day : about 17 kWh (without any an EV charging). [Although we were out from 3pm to midnight on this day, so there was no oven or any other home use in the evening]

Yeah fair few multi kwh spikes there.

Thanks for explaining, do you use an electric hob as well when using oven?

I can see clear easy cuts, but looks like you generating energy as well so only really paying for very little right?

Associate

Here is a graph showing our typical energy consumption on a week day : about 17 kWh (without any EV charging). [Although we were out from 3pm to midnight on this day, so there was no oven or any other home use in the evening]. The energy use from 3pm would be dishwasher set before we left.

Worth looking at something like an airfryer instead of the oven? It uses less power and cooks a lot more quickly

Soldato
With putin threatening to cut off supply this will not help, the problem is if it does get to 6k what is the government going to do? they haven't really helped apart from Small handouts.

My only advise is to save now or as much as you can, but it's impossible with rent/ cost of living going up.

Suicides are going to be through the roof as debt piles up

Soldato
Yeah fair few multi kwh spikes there.

Thanks for explaining, do you use an electric hob as well when using oven?

I can see clear easy cuts, but looks like you generating energy as well so only really paying for very little right?

We have a gas hob. I've looked at induction hobs but the payback is too long, so will replace when we really need to.

Soldato
600 kWh a month is not really high use.
I would guess an average family of 4 living in a semi / detached house would be using around that.

We use 16-18 kWh a day (about 520 a month) and run nothing special.
We use 24kWh a day and there’s only 2 of us at home! Bloody pond outside draws about 400w 24/7 with its pump and dual UV bulbs.

Going to really start considering getting rid of it as the fish came with the house 5 years ago and all we do is feed them once a day, you don’t exactly interact with them for £80/month (currently but soon to jump up).

Soldato
Worth looking at something like an airfryer instead of the oven? It uses less power and cooks a lot more quickly
Air fryers are really good. We only really use our main oven a handful of times a week now. like anything they take time to pay for themselves (£100 ish does buy a fair bit on electricity) but if there are only 1 or 2 of you you could probably almost use it every day (3 in our household hence still need main oven from time to time).

slow cooker is the really winner tho if you are happy to adapt your meals. 1 cook up in ours can do 10 meals, of which we freeze most. convenient and tasty if you like stews and those sorts of meals.

Soldato
I Don't. Wondering what the consensus is with regards to fixing now or waiting. All reference points are skewed.
We won't find out what the government are going to do until after Sept 5th. It will have to be something spectacular to have much effect so I wouldn't be that hopeful. If I was coming out of a fixed deal now I wouldn't have a clue what to do!

Soldato
We won't find out what the government aew going to do until after Sept 5th. It will have to be something spectacular to have much effect so I wouldn't be that hopeful.
Well precisely. I'm reluctant to fix if, heaven forbid, the government did take a line out of Labour's playbook and freeze the current variable cap as this would save me ~£1500 quid over the presented renewable fixed deal.

Caporegime
I Don't. Wondering what the consensus is with regards to fixing now or waiting. All reference points are skewed.

Quite a low electricity standing charge (lower than the current price cap) but unit rates are quite a bit higher than predicted for 1 October. Significant rises are expected again in January and April though.

You need to do the sums and work out roughly what you'll pay on the fixed deal over 12 months (based on actual usage) compared to prices now and what they might be on 1 October, 1 January, 1 April and 1 July.

It seems unlikely but if Labour and the SNP get their way, and the price cap isn't increased, you need to consider how easily and costly it is to get out of the fixed deal.

Soldato
Well precisely. I'm reluctant to fix if, heaven forbid, the government did take a line out of Labour's playbook and freeze the current variable cap as this would save me ~£1500 quid over the presented renewable fixed deal.
others may do it as well, but OCtopus allow you to leave their fixed deal at any point. Someone here did say it is not as easy as Octopus make out if you want to go elsewhere as other companies may still not take you if in a fix deal.

but you are free to leave your octopus fix and go on to octopus variable at any time.

Soldato
Air fryers are really good. We only really use our main oven a handful of times a week now. like anything they take time to pay for themselves (£100 ish does buy a fair bit on electricity)

That's the thing - £100 for an airfryer is about 333 kWh of electricity at our current 30p kWh fixed until March. Then this is time when our solar generation will start to ramp up, which provides easily enough to power the oven several times a day.

Good for people without solar who cook often though.

Soldato
We use 24kWh a day and there’s only 2 of us at home! Bloody pond outside draws about 400w 24/7 with its pump and dual UV bulbs.

Going to really start considering getting rid of it as the fish came with the house 5 years ago and all we do is feed them once a day, you don’t exactly interact with them for £80/month (currently but soon to jump up).

I had the same problem, fish that came with the house.

Previous owners could have tried to re-home their pets prior to leaving, but nope, and I didn't really want fish.

In the end I found a new owner for some of them, and the rest I found a new home, it has to have been a better bet than the small pond they were stuck in at my house.

Back
Top Bottom