Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Society had peaked tough times are here to stay until new technology arrives.

Perhaps we week see migration to Africa, cheap to live plenty of free sunshine and not to cold.

Soldato
Be interesting to see how this will work in practice. Perhaps I could switch on a load of electric heaters at 8:01pm, cost 50p/kWh to run and get a £6 rebate for every kW used.
Damn, why didn't I think of that!?

We've stocked up on coal and logs when it was cheaper, will be adding some insulation to the loft once be the floor is boarded.

Caporegime
Bought a house in 2000 with no heating and survived 2 winters v like that, it's tough getting used to it again but as a kid we just had open fires.

Getting into bed you really appreciate a good duet and a woman to snuggle up too

Open fires or fire places?

You're not even supposed to burn certain types of wood log burners anymore so they've cut that cheap avenue off

Associate
Be interesting to see how this will work in practice. Perhaps I could switch on a load of electric heaters at 8:01pm, cost 50p/kWh to run and get a £6 rebate for every kW used.
I guess they will need a base load for that period for yourself. For example, you used 4KW between 17:00 and 20:00 last week, if you use 2KW the following week, in the same time period, they will give you some kind of rebate for the 2KW not used. If that's how it works, time to force discharge the battery so it is empty by 16:30, charge it back up between 17:00 and 20:00 at 5KW per hour, and the following week use nothing during that time period. 15KW rebate thank you very much! :)

Caporegime
I guess they will need a base load for that period for yourself. For example, you used 4KW between 17:00 and 20:00 last week, if you use 2KW the following week, in the same time period, they will give you some kind of rebate for the 2KW not used. If that's how it works, time to force discharge the battery so it is empty by 16:30, charge it back up between 17:00 and 20:00 at 5KW per hour, and the following week use nothing during that time period. 15KW rebate thank you very much! :)
Probably a more realistic way it'll work but I imagine the base load measurement will be over a period far longer than a week.

Soldato
My plan as I'm retired, buy a duvet suit and live in it most of winter. Reduce showering to once or maybe twice a week. Otherwise good old sixties style cold basin washes. Wear clothes, hang up to air and wear again several times.

Really, it is going back to pre-central heating, pre-constant hot water and laundry done a maximum once a week for a family. Luckily I have been there and done it.

Can you not join a local cheapie gym and shower there? Get some exercise and a warm shower in the process?

Caporegime
There is certainly an element of expectation that we can have "all of the things" now and we're used to it. Even the poorest people usually live better than most of the worlds population does.

And that this always get better.

People are going to have to accept society is now going backwards for most people

Soldato
And that this always get better.

People are going to have to accept society is now going backwards for most people

No it goes up and down. For a while people are going to be in belt tightening mode, using less power. We have done it before and no doubt it will happen again in ten or twenty years.

We could let Russia have its way, we should have developed more nuclear since we started closing them over the last decades, the rest of certainly northern Europe is in a similar boat but that does not help much.

Soldato
The government have no control over this. Every single country is going through this as the price on the global market has gone through the roof due to the extreme supply reduction caused by Russian gas flows being reduced. Less supply means higher prices for all, not just this little island in the Atlantic. The best the government can do in the short term is subsidise the cost a bit (which they are doing, but could do more) but we will be paying this off through more debt. Long term getting our energy production and fuels for this completely within our border and isolated from global market prices (like wind, solar and for the UK as they own more plutonium than anyone else nuclear) will help a lot but this will take decades.
agree with a fair bit of that, especially nuclear.

Soldato
Those predicted energy prices for next year are going to be a problem for all businesses and services, schools and public places. Do schools pay their energy bill or if their budget? How does that work?

Soldato
600 kWh a month is not really high use.
I would guess an average family of 4 living in a semi / detached house would be using around that.

We use 16-18 kWh a day (about 520 a month) and run nothing special.
What do you think you using then to use it? If you could answer I wouldnt mind as I am really curious.

18kwh is equal to a constant drain of 750watts. If e.g. you each had your own tv, own games console, and were in your own rooms not together all the time, you still wouldnt be anywhere near it. Maybe lots of long electric shower and hair dryer usage?

My sister has 4 in her household and uses less than me, and I am a light user. She still only has one fridge, one microwave, one cooker.

It is interesting that some think electric usage increases linearly with occupants.

Back
Top Bottom