Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
My first quarterly elec bill on the bad tariff is £140 still a bit of background plasma TV viewing I can knock on the head ,microwave air fryer and ninja (0 to smooth hot soup 30mins) are my go to appliances,oven just for the odd pizza.
But I live alone,I only have to monitor myself

Permabanned
If the government provided a subsidy on solar I'd jump on it.

25 percent discount? Yeah I'd stump up the rest of the cash. Would mitigate much of ROI risk for me

Not sure what my personal cut off cost would be. Right now. ROI is too long for me
I thought people cared about polar bears? Or is it when it suits them? You either want to or you don’t but stop using ROI as an excuse.

Soldato
My first quarterly elec bill on the bad tariff is £140 still a bit of background plasma TV viewing I can knock on the head ,microwave air fryer and ninja (0 to smooth hot soup 30mins) are my go to appliances,oven just for the odd pizza.
But I live alone,I only have to monitor myself
Easy when it’s just you. She’s got the light on in her office. May go flip the breaker switch on the fuse box and plead ignorance. ;)

Caporegime
My 4.4KW system going up in a few days should, in theory, generate about 3500-3800 kwh per year, slowly dropping yearly as panels degrade.

If I use most of those, it's very good value for money at the new cap prices in October. Even using just 2000 kwh of that generation (I'll have a battery as well so I think I can do better than 2000 / 3500) it's a little over £1000 for 2000 kwh of electric.

I think you've answered your own question somewhat though, if you're on a good long term fix, then the benefit to you is much smaller. Those of us on cap pricing are going to feel the pain much sooner than you.

So you can afford to wait longer potentially anyway, because the cost of doing nothing is small enough for you.

If I can use more of that generation, and perhaps look at getting paid better for additional generation, I'm anticipating this could save me £1.5K or more per year, and that only goes up as unit prices go beyond the planned October caps.

Current plan is to save up the extra and then when situation changes (ie if when fix ends energy is still 3-4k) I'll hopefully be ready to move house (if able!) and then go solar.

At the moment I'm only pay 59 a month. So I can put the 300 a month I would be spending on the new cap into a fund to go towards solar if/when it's sensible.

Solar may well be so important that next house solar ability my play into purchase decision.

But the world may change so much in next 3 years it seems hard to plan anything significant.
House Market may crash to such a level and inflation may be so bad moving may be impossible. Who knows!

Associate
I’ve just fixed at

is that v19? I’m moving onto that at end of September. There are no exit fees so my thinking is I’ll sign up to that and see what happens with the cap. However, I did the sums and based on projected increases the variable will cost me £10 more a month over twelve months. The fix gives piece of mind if prices jump up a lot. Alternatively as there are no fees I can jump onto the variable should prices drop.

Share your annual usages and I can plug it into my calculator to see your situation if you want. It’s not perfect but it’s a good estimation.

I’m paring more in Oct - Dec on the fix but saving come January - June.
Yeah that’s the v19,

That was my thinking, adds a bit of stability knowing it’s fixed for another 12 months when all you hear is the cap rising. Plus with the no exit fee you’re able to jump to another deal or SVR.

My usage is quite low to be fair roughly,

9000 kWh Gas
2000 kWh Electric

Soldato
My 4.4KW system going up in a few days should, in theory, generate about 3500-3800 kwh per year, slowly dropping yearly as panels degrade.

If I use most of those, it's very good value for money at the new cap prices in October. Even using just 2000 kwh of that generation (I'll have a battery as well so I think I can do better than 2000 / 3500) it's a little over £1000 for 2000 kwh of electric.

I think you've answered your own question somewhat though, if you're on a good long term fix, then the benefit to you is much smaller. Those of us on cap pricing are going to feel the pain much sooner than you.

So you can afford to wait longer potentially anyway, because the cost of doing nothing is small enough for you.

If I can use more of that generation, and perhaps look at getting paid better for additional generation, I'm anticipating this could save me £1.5K or more per year, and that only goes up as unit prices go beyond the planned October caps.
How much did the application to the DNO cost? The limit is 3.6kw

Caporegime
You want one though like a politician you want the taxpayer to pay for the risk of your ‘ investment’

I don't want one.
But if one comes I'm not going to turn it down.

It would be better if any help is means tested. But judging my the current trajectory. 400 for everyone. Potential tax cuts. Its as likely to be blanket as means tested.

Caporegime
My costs are pretty decent, doubt you'll get a quote that beats mine at the moment.

4.44KW panels, 8.2KWH Givenergy battery, 5KWH Givenergy hybrid inverter, DNO application all handled by installer (G99 already approved), £8250.

That does seem like a great price.

Like the tariff fixes. The best time to jump on has passed.

Permabanned
I don't want one.
But if one comes I'm not going to turn it down.

It would be better if any help is means tested. But judging my the current trajectory. 400 for everyone. Potential tax cuts. Its as likely to be blanket as means tested.
No need to make a post about it then I guess.

I can’t see the government spending money on solar subsidies at the minute

Soldato
My costs are pretty decent, doubt you'll get a quote that beats mine at the moment.

4.44KW panels, 8.2KWH Givenergy battery, 5KWH Givenergy hybrid inverter, DNO application all handled by installer (G99 already approved), £8250.
Great price.

Although, I'm keen to know how much the G99 specifically cost you.

I am installing my own 20 panel install. Micro inverters.
The only thing I don't know how to sort is the G99.... as I want to install 5.7kw
(Older 285w panels, free from work)

Micro inverters and install brackets cost me just under £1500.
Person to install £500.

G99 cost... God knows

Soldato
It’s not perfect as it just averages out your usage over the year, and I can’t factor in your actual usage profile. But rough maths suggest you’re better off fixing.
You’d be £236 average a month by fixing.
Over 12 months you’d average £247 if you didn’t fix.

Happy to welcome any critique on my formulas though!

img

Back
Top Bottom