Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Yes you would need to contact them but you said you already are?

I'll have to give Eon some credit; I emailed them about adjusting my direct debit to what I think is reasonable consumption (different from theirs) and they have responded and altered my DD as per my request. Well done Eon.

Here's my reasoning, working backwards from the DD amount:

DD AmountkWh Unit RateSC p/daySC p/mDayskWh p/m in £kWh p/mkWh p/day
£ 145.00£ 0.2791£ 0.6375£ 19.1330£ 125.88451.0015.03

I'm sure 15kWh per day is plenty even in the depths of winter as my heating source is oil.

Caporegime
Well. Despite Scottish Power saying they were going to refund my huge credit balance they haven't.

They even confirmed the new DD etc.

May just leave it to to tick down over winter.

Man of Honour
It's finally gotten real. With my cheap fix ending on 7th October (elec 19.97p/kWh, 20.54p/day sc, gas 3.80p/kWh, 19.27p/day sc, direct debit £85.10 per month and currently £120 in credit) Sainsburys Energy has sent me a email saying that I should log into my account and see the "great" offers they have for me after my fix ends. There is only really two as the variable will be much higher by the time my fix ends so the current one is irrelevant. I don't understand why they have given me two alternative fixes as one is massively higher than the other and both are for 12 months with no exit fees. Anyway, the first is 1 year smooth renew v20 with rates of Electricity 59.9655p per kWh, 50.05p per day sc, Gas 15.0843p per kWh, 27.22p per day sc with a monthly direct debit of £259.98 which is just over triple my current DD. The second is 1 Year Fix and Reward v36 with rates of Electricity 82.72425p per kWh, 51.42p per day sc, Gas 20.5842p per kWh, 28.59p per day sc and a monthly direct debit of £349.10 per month which is just over 4.1x my current DD. Both are based on my actual years usage and they will kick in from when my current deal ends. The first "deal" will be a struggle and the second is quite unaffordable. Scary stuff seeing as my usage is already as low as possible.

Soldato
I don’t really have anything to add but it’s utterly insane that huge swathes of people are going to suffer so that a handful of energy conglomerates and their shareholders can get even richer. This could all stop tomorrow if people had a social conscience.

Soldato
I'll have to give Eon some credit; I emailed them about adjusting my direct debit to what I think is reasonable consumption (different from theirs) and they have responded and altered my DD as per my request. Well done Eon.

Here's my reasoning, working backwards from the DD amount:

DD AmountkWh Unit RateSC p/daySC p/mDayskWh p/m in £kWh p/mkWh p/day
£ 145.00£ 0.2791£ 0.6375£ 19.1330£ 125.88451.0015.03

I'm sure 15kWh per day is plenty even in the depths of winter as my heating source is oil.

Your prices and DD will need to change come October though. New prices will come into affect then.

Associate
1 year smooth renew v20 with rates of Electricity 59.9655p per kWh, 50.05p per day sc, Gas 7.33635p per kWh, 27.22p per day sc with a monthly direct debit of £259.98

As ridiculous as it sounds, might want to snap them up on that. Those gas figures are the same as the current SVR, will be a lot higher from October. Seems like an error but if the transaction goes through..

Soldato
Well. Despite Scottish Power saying they were going to refund my huge credit balance they haven't.

They even confirmed the new DD etc.

May just leave it to to tick down over winter.
EDF refunded mine the next day. Well, they kept £150 of it, and the DD the same, so they'll owe me some more next time.

Caporegime
EDF refunded mine the next day. Well, they kept £150 of it, and the DD the same, so they'll owe me some more next time.

They said they'd refund 400 but put my DD to 90.
That would leave me with 200 credit and 90 DD bill

Seems a ridiculous really.

Can you dictate somewhere (to the bank or to your supplier) what to put your DD to?

If we start getting the 66 a month. 90 a month DD is just going to accrue credit again

Soldato
Condensing boiler what are the optimum settings?

Water?
Heating?

If you have a combi boiler, this doesn't make sense. You don't need to worry about legionella when you have a combi boiler as there is no stored hot water.

My guidance for combi boiler: hot water as low as possible - try 45 C. You probably won't notice any difference.

Heating: for a relatively modern house try 70C in the dead of winter, but you could probably drop that to 50C early on in the heating season.

I personally start at about 50C as the heating season starts. I try and balance my radiators (a thankless and rather pointless task given this only works at full load). Then, as it gets colder outside, if rooms aren't getting up to temperature I'll increase the 50C by a couple of degrees, see how that works out etc and continue until the cold peaks. Then, as it gets warmer again, start dropping it back down.

A more permenant solution to this is installing weather compensation on your boiler. It will change the flow temperature according to external conditions.

Bear in mind that you want the lowest return temperature possible.

Soldato

Can you dictate somewhere (to the bank or to your supplier) what to put your DD to?

If we start getting the 66 a month. 90 a month DD is just going to accrue credit again

The £66 is meant to be refunded to you after you pay your DD or your DD will automatically be adjusted less the £66 depending on supplier from what was being stated by company at moments.

Caporegime
The £66 is meant to be refunded to you after you pay your DD or your DD will automatically be adjusted less the £66 depending on supplier from what was being stated by company at moments.

I assumed it would just appear as credit? So my in credit balance would just increase?

I may just have to call Scottish Power.

The chat agent confirmed my refund. But nothing has arrived

Soldato

With EDF the only option on the website is to increase the DD, funny that. I think, as someone has already said it's less companies wanting you to average your bills out, and more them wanting to keep the cash.

Soldato
I assumed it would just appear as credit? So my in credit balance would just increase?

I may just have to call Scottish Power.

The chat agent confirmed my refund. But nothing has arrived
Yes it looks like you will pay your usual £90 DD, then they will refund £66/£67 a few days later...

Caporegime
Thanks!
Didn't realise it was company specific.
It is indeed refunded back. As cash

Looks like I may as well just keep it how it is.

I'm paying 59 now but have 600 in credit. Using about 80 a month (summer).
Over winter the credit balance will drop away as I expect my bill to double with gas use for heating.

Currently using 40kwh of gas. (gas cooker and once a week hot water heat)

Soldato
I don't think that most people are aware of what's coming, speaking to people at work they just don't seem to get the size of the rises ahead

Popped round to a friend's on Saturday afternoon. Turns out they'd had a rude awakening to the current energy costs, octopus had just sent them a revised prediction as they've just finished their fixed rate deal, a jump from approx £170 to £650 per month. I'm guessing a new fixed rate deal at that price, we haven't quite got as far as working out how many units they're using, baby steps are this stage. I'd warned them what was happening around March-April time but they weren't interested as they were on a good fixed rate, she also likes to be warm in winter and whenever I've commented on how warm it is in their house she just says "you can't put a price on heat", well it turns out yes you can and she's now constantly following everyone around the house turning everything off :D

They've just assigned up for a 6kWh solar install with 6kWh battery. Their roof is perfect for it and they've worked out that the savings per month will cover the loan payments with some left over.

Soldato
Popped round to a friend's on Saturday afternoon. Turns out they'd had a rude awakening to the current energy costs, octopus had just sent them a revised prediction as they've just finished their fixed rate deal, a jump from approx £170 to £650 per month. I'm guessing a new fixed rate deal at that price, we haven't quite got as far as working out how many units they're using, baby steps are this stage. I'd warned them what was happening around March-April time but they weren't interested as they were on a good fixed rate, she also likes to be warm in winter and whenever I've commented on how warm it is in their house she just says "you can't put a price on heat", well it turns out yes you can and she's now constantly following everyone around the house turning everything off :D

They've just assigned up for a 6kWh solar install with 6kWh battery. Their roof is perfect for it and they've worked out that the savings per month will cover the loan payments with some left over.
I think this is probably going to be a textbook story especially when people get the first bills at the higher rates at the end of October

Soldato
I don’t really have anything to add but it’s utterly insane that huge swathes of people are going to suffer so that a handful of energy conglomerates and their shareholders can get even richer. This could all stop tomorrow if people had a social conscience.
Which is why people should consider the Don't Pay protest. It is not just a protest towards the energy retailers it's against the whole setup.

Get sufficient numbers and it will have an effect.

Back
Top Bottom