Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Seems in 2019 Labour had a policy of doing UK wide double glazing and solar panels.

Given the resistance to nationalising energy ownership in this country, would people here be supportive of a program to get solar panels on every home and double glazing all single glazed properties?

Combination of grants and interest free loans. The grants tapered so not sudden 100% to 0% but gradual drop off as income goes higher. This would include rental properties.

The people in this thread with solar panels and batteries seem to have wiped out a majority of their electric bills, so seems really effective.
Of course I would support that (solar panels + insulating homes + heat pumps or equivalent), that's exactly what we should be doing and this crisis has made it even more obvious

Of course I would support that (solar panels + insulating homes + heat pumps or equivalent), that's exactly what we should be doing and this crisis has made it even more obvious

They need to change their tune then and stop parroting a few rolls of insulation in the loft is going to band aid the issue. The suppliers should be offering all of that but I guess its turkeys voting for Christmas as then your not going to be paying (them) lots for your units in the long term..

Although I'm not entirely convinced that we will have any power cuts, I'm still going to make sure that my torches are charged and that I know where my candles are during winter.

What's will bother me more than anything, is my Virgin Media Superhub not getting any power. But it's not worth buying a battery for, in my opinion anyway.

I will be able to keep the edge off the cold by lighting a gas ring on my cooker.

Seems in 2019 Labour had a policy of doing UK wide double glazing and solar panels.

Given the resistance to nationalising energy ownership in this country, would people here be supportive of a program to get solar panels on every home and double glazing all single glazed properties?

Combination of grants and interest free loans. The grants tapered so not sudden 100% to 0% but gradual drop off as income goes higher. This would include rental properties.

The people in this thread with solar panels and batteries seem to have wiped out a majority of their electric bills, so seems really effective.
I would say solar combined with battery is really effective for 5-6 months, it is helpful for another 2-3 months then for the remaining 3-4 months it is the battery which is the main help , that is only if you have cheap off peak energy that you can store.

there is no doubt however that those with solar are going to have a lot less stress over yearly energy bill. government wise unless a LOT of people get it I doubt it will help future crisis that much, and on top of that if they are serious about solar then storage is even more important so that they can make hay whilst the sun is shining to cover those up to 4 months when it isn't. the bonus is I suppose those winter months are probably more likely to be breezy.
that is the thing about renewables. no one tech will manage on its own, but wind/solar and tidal with a core of some nuclear I think would mean we could ween our reliance off burning stuff.

good thing about tidal is we are an island so lots of water, and that is the 1 renewable you can rely on.

we also probably need more interconnects with the rest of Europe that way we can all share our surplus with the hope that we are not all in the doldrums and cloudy at the same time

I work from my shed since covid hit and in winter it can get really cold, it's lined with Celotex, then OSB, it has rubber flooring + a carpet, 1 weakness is the 'shed style' door on one side that I can't sela up like I have the other side.
Last winter I ran a 2500W oil heat from ~ 8am then on/off throughout the day, I've worked out this will now cost me over £7 a day, any suggestions other than insulation as I've kinda done all I can in that regard.

House is west facing so solar is a no go, but perhaps a small solar panel on the shed (south facing roof) to a small heater? How would I even start with that?

Diesel heater?

Like the Chinese ones people use in camper vans.

what about carbon monoxide.

But we won't have to buy at he highest rates if demand is lower. And of course we'd be buying less overall.
but you have to buy gas upfront anticipating the worst case electric demand, unless you can accurately predict the domestic solar output by knowing the weather/sunshine.
california is going to charge domestic customers with solar MORE for their electric units, that they do need to take from the grid, because of that unpredictability.

california is going to charge domestic customers with solar MORE for their electric units, that they do need to take from the grid, because of that unpredictability.
wow talk about short sighted. I mean ok I get that solar may be unpredictable but FGS fossil fuels have had subsides up the wazzu for years. people need to be encouraged to get renewables not punished for them.

Dread to think what our energy bill is going to be like at work. For a company that really wants to keep the bottom as tight as possible, they don't really do anything about the energy costs.

Some of our female employees will come into work with a dress on or thin top and skirt, complain they're cold and put an electric fan heater on all day... The company allows people to just plug in whatever they want, i've been advising them to stop this, not just because of the energy use but because it's muggins here that has to sort out a tripped switch or blown fuse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/energy-bills-blackouts-boris-johnson-b2149998.html

Use as much energy as you want... at £500-1000 a month for the sake of these politicians golden parachutes please.

Even as a true blue conservative I've been absolutely flabbergasted at the government's handling of the energy crisis. They can't see that the cap cannot rise any further. Because then the economy grinds to a halt as everyone stops spending because they have to spend it on the quadrupling of the leccy bill. Shops will fold because they have to keep up with the backbreaking rises and no customers and further shops will close, it will cause a downward spiral and It'll plunge us into a deep recession.

When you're energy bill is half what your mortgage is then somethings gone horribly wrong.

Even as a true blue conservative I've been absolutely flabbergasted at the government's handling of the energy crisis. They can't see that the cap cannot rise any further. Because then the economy grinds to a halt as everyone stops spending because they have to spend it on the quadrupling of the leccy bill. Shops will fold because they have to keep up with the backbreaking rises and no customers and further shops will close, it will cause a downward spiral and It'll plunge us into a deep recession.

When you're energy bill is half what your mortgage is then somethings gone horribly wrong.

Even with my fix I'm not really spending.
Because I have no idea what's coming next.

If they do cap the price at 2k what does that mean for future?
If we have to pay it back 2k will be the new norm?

Will there be any competition if we are effectively paying 2k for the next 10 years?

Because let's face it, it will be years at best.
2k for me is probably 3k.

Or will it not be this. Will they just give some cash.?

Without knowing the future I'm holding back on purchasing anything. People want to know. Enough of these games and playing with peoples lives to score points.

I hope it back fires. I hope truss gets so much hassle she breaks down mid term and has to quit.

It probably isn't an exaggeration to say she has many peoples lives in her hands. Politicians haven't had this much direct influence on the average persons life for a long time

Back
Top Bottom