Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
I work from my shed since covid hit and in winter it can get really cold, it's lined with Celotex, then OSB, it has rubber flooring + a carpet, 1 weakness is the 'shed style' door on one side that I can't sela up like I have the other side.
Last winter I ran a 2500W oil heat from ~ 8am then on/off throughout the day, I've worked out this will now cost me over £7 a day, any suggestions other than insulation as I've kinda done all I can in that regard.

House is west facing so solar is a no go, but perhaps a small solar panel on the shed (south facing roof) to a small heater? How would I even start with that?

Rob Look at the eberspacher d4, you can run them really cheaply 4kw air heater, like the lorry drivers use, I've used mine in the shed/workshop for over 10years
never use more that 100Lt a year, they run happily on heating oil.
12v or 24v you will need a power supply, of use a solar panel and battery.

Associate
Rob Look at the eberspacher d4, you can run them really cheaply 4kw air heater, like the lorry drivers use, I've used mine in the shed/workshop for over 10years
never use more that 100Lt a year, they run happily on heating oil.
12v or 24v you will need a power supply, of use a solar panel and battery.
I've no idea what that is but I'll take a look thanks :)

I'm considering a small turbine, problem being that 40/50+ mph winds are not a rare occurrence here and I'm not sure how a lower end turbine would fare in those conditions.

Soldato
the poorest live in tower blocks and maisonettes etc the places already less desirable because they don't have a garden and just tiny cramped rooms
"Some" of them do yes, in those cases they would be sharing the generated electric, it wouldnt save them as much but it would still save them money. There is still a lot of poor people who live in houses or flats that arent part of tower blocks.

I do agree though that nationalised extraction would be my preferred way to go as a starting point, but I do also like the idea of providing homes with their own energy source and fixing the long standing single glazed wooden window frame problem everyone keeps ignoring.

Has anyone tried putting panels on walls, or do they have to be facing the sky directly upwards?

Soldato
In this immensely entitled country? People are in denial about the state of the country and are spending well beyond their means.

Perhaps they are spending beyond their means, but thus there is headroom to cut back

Massive energy bills will cause them to do that.

Win win from your POV

Let's not do the classic internet thing and focus on whataboutery of the small percentages. Median UK household disposable income in 2021 was £31,400

Raise benefits for those on them. Everyone else needs to cut back. Job done.

Associate
I disagree with such a broad statement. 'Some' people - yes, all/most I'm not convinced.

Lots of people can't cut back further and to say a jumper and cutting back will solve this isn't fair. People are struggling and need help, be that money/services/education or actual physical things like insulation etc
There probably isn't a quick fix but the government can, and should, be doing FAR more than they are, busy squabbling over who is in charge whilst people worry about if they can afford to survive the coming winter, George RRM would be proud of this storyline.

Caporegime
"Some" of them do yes, in those cases they would be sharing the generated electric, it wouldnt save them as much but it would still save them money. There is still a lot of poor people who live in houses or flats that arent part of tower blocks.
yea so about 4 house roofs worth of solar panels shared between about 100 people

Love it when Western commies say this

Thankfully they are all too angry and lazy to actually do anything (including being a productive member of society) :cry:
Wanting a fair and just society that benefits everyone who lives here doesn't mean I'm angry.

be funny when we get 2008 style riots again though since we won't have enough police to deal with it this time and the police we do have are all incapable these days anyway.... I remember seeing them on the news running away from covid protestors in london :p

Soldato
be funny when we get 2008 style riots again though since we won't have enough police to deal with it this time and the police we do have are all incapable these days anyway.... remember them running away during the protests in london during covid :p
Do you live in an alternate timeline to the rest of us in the uk? What 2008 riots?

I do agree though that nationalised extraction would be my preferred way to go as a starting point, but I do also like the idea of providing homes with their own energy source and fixing the long standing single glazed wooden window frame problem everyone keeps ignoring.

Has anyone tried putting panels on walls, or do they have to be facing the sky directly upwards?

They are less efficient on walls (bad angle) so I think true south facing would be an absolute must

Soldato
Not wishing to be "that person" But you are missing 5% VAT and oct and Nov is £66 then Dec- March is £67. Other than that good work :)
I ignored that because being Octopus I get a loyalty discount of the figures. It basically negates the 5% rate approx. I know it won't work that well as rates go up but it was good enough for a quick update to get idea this morning.

It comes off the standing charge. At moment it makes my standard charge 32p instead of 45p. I assume anyone on Octopus variable would be getting that but yes. Could add a column for 5% VAT for those that don't for it all. And to get it closer to exact which be true.

But cheers :)

*removed the image with your address and postcode on it :) * - montymint

Back
Top Bottom