Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Surely they're not expecing anyone to pay that? £520 a month?

They are expecting me to pay that much! Big house but well insulated. Wife WFH full time me 3 days a week so I think that explains the usage. I expect that if prices stayed the same after the summer (obv. up for discussion that) we'd have a reasonable credit balance with them.

You think landlords wouldn't increase rents as soon as they are able to cover their increased costs?

This is why you enter into longer term rental contracts.

There is no general rule of increasing standards of living! The last couple decades have been the exception not the rule. Looking further back the last 200 years have been an incredible *exception* not the rule. Over the last 10,000 years the general standard of living has been up and down dramatically, civilisations rising and falling. The last two hundred years of the 'carbon pluse' has been truelly exception and only a fool would consider this trajectory a sustainable general rule.

For most of history people have been living under tyranny, the advent of classical liberalism/capitalism ~250 years ago makes any comparisons to thousands of years ago utterly irrelevant quite frankly. Ever since then the rule has been towards an ever increasing standard of living.

Last edited:
This is why you enter into longer term rental contracts.

Yeah indeed but it generally max 12 months and so most landlords I know run their agreements April to April to allow them to review as the financial year does and so if there a 9 month period they offer the time as 9 months or similar.

Mine however for my housemates is monthly because he friend but that also why I've swolled all cost increases for 4yr till now and am still taking 80% of the increase and not laying it all out for them to pay. And I'm still not really sure I won't just swallow all 100% tbh but I've warned them once April bills all come in that I'll work it out then.

Yeah indeed but it generally max 12 months and so most landlords I know run their agreements April to April to allow them to review as the financial year does and so if there a 9 month period they offer the time as 9 months or similar.

Mine however for my housemates is monthly because he friend but that also why I've swolled all cost increases for 4yr till now and am still taking 80% of the increase and not laying it all out for them to pay. And I'm still not really sure I won't just swallow all 100% tbh but I've warned them once April bills all come in that I'll work it out then.

12 months has been the minimum term I've ever been offered, certainly if you go on Rightmove that's pretty standard, never heard of anyone doing 9 months, that would be just bizarre, no incentive for me as a tenant to do weird length contracts. Last few tenancies I've had with Entwistle Green I was given a box to fill in with how long I wanted the tenancy to last which is why I'm in a 36 month one now.

12 months has been the minimum term I've ever been offered, certainly if you go on Rightmove that's pretty standard, never heard of anyone doing 9 months, that would be just bizarre, no incentive for me as a tenant to do weird length contracts. Last few tenancies I've had with Entwistle Green I was given a box to fill in with how long I wanted the tenancy to last which is why I'm in a 36 month one now.

Long term tenancies on Rightmove mean anything from six months. How often does your tenancy agreement allow for rent reviews?

Most are generally monthly, 6 month or 12 month. As mentioned only reason there may be 9 months from this particular person is purely so he can align new clients to an April to April 12 month.

6month and 12month rental agreements are about 80% of the market still. 15% is weekly and monthly with the last 5% other.

36 month rentals have really only been about since 2019 and still limted. All I've seen with them also still have an annual rental review again normally set in April to tie in with financial year.

Yesterday we received our revised combined energy bill, we knew it would be going up like everyone else’s had. It’s doubled, will have to have a look at Uswitch in a bit, but holding out much hope finding a cheaper supplier at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom