Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

12 months has been the minimum term I've ever been offered, certainly if you go on Rightmove that's pretty standard, never heard of anyone doing 9 months, that would be just bizarre, no incentive for me as a tenant to do weird length contracts. Last few tenancies I've had with Entwistle Green I was given a box to fill in with how long I wanted the tenancy to last which is why I'm in a 36 month one now.

I have seen many offer 6 month terms, when the law came in that forbid S21 been issued during a tenancy my contracts are now 10 instead of 12 months to account for that. Done so even with a S21 its only a year of commitment from landlord.

So I've had the "You're ready to renew" email this morning... Let have a look at before and after. Bear in mind that I have a pretty efficient home:
  • Current Tariff (Eon)
    • Elec Unit: 17.9p
    • Daily Charge: 7.35p
    • Gas Unit: 3.45p
    • Daily Charge:.7.35p

• New Tariff (Eon)
    • Elec Unit: 27.84p
    • Daily Charge: 49.65p
    • Gas Unit: 7.34p
    • Daily Charge:.27.22p
So I will go from £33/month to £71/month or more than doubled. This may not seem like a lot in monetary terms to some on here but it's a 215% increase.

The standing charge increase of 525% is particularly galling.... Robbing bar stewards come to mind...

Its like.. they should have been doing that anyway!
most of those kind of lists are just people desperately thinking of things to write down.

"promote efficient use of freight trucks and goods delivery"

yea because no company were ever doing that, they aren't ran for profit
The standing charge increase of 525% is particularly galling.... Robbing bar stewards come to mind...
do you want to trade standing charges. This is with Eon too btw
RKVFgG0.jpg

Last edited:
So I've had the "You're ready to renew" email this morning... Let have a look at before and after. Bear in mind that I have a pretty efficient home:
  • Current Tariff (Eon)
    • Elec Unit: 17.9p
    • Daily Charge: 7.35p
    • Gas Unit: 3.45p
    • Daily Charge:.7.35p

• New Tariff (Eon)
    • Elec Unit: 27.84p
    • Daily Charge: 49.65p
    • Gas Unit: 7.34p
    • Daily Charge:.27.22p
So I will go from £33/month to £71/month or more than doubled. This may not seem like a lot in monetary terms to some on here but it's a 215% increase.

I take it you're coming off a long term fixed deal. How long was it?

You guys must not live in the UK then! :cry:

There is a lot of variation even just in my locality I've seen blanket snow on the ground in May and it was very cold but also UK has some really sunny coastal areas. People living up high in scotland wont recognise that situ.

Glasgow is on the same parallel as Moscow, we obviously get lucky on the warm atlantic waters mostly. My perverse take on global warming is the natural warm waters change direction away from UK and Uk plunges into a more polar type weather pattern

Unless he's just baiting and uses a woodburner or similar instead

400w graphics card might do it

Last edited:
do you want to trade standing charges. This is with Eon too btw
RKVFgG0.jpg

It's mildly higher but a 1.75x increase is not anything close to the 5.25x increase on what mine went to. The standing charge is pretty much 1/3 of my bill now and is only £10/month short of my entire power bill as it stands now... Ridiculous.

Also - prepayment meters like yours have higher standing charges I believe so its comparing apples with oranges

I know it's also to do with bailing out the bust companies but how long is that bailout for and, once complete, is it a guarantee that the standing charge will reduce again? The cynic in me says not a chance.

I have emailed Eon to advise on this and they said:

Energy suppliers use standing charges to cover costs such as:
maintaining the energy networks, wires, and pipes that carry gas and electricity to your home
connecting your home to the energy network
conducting meter readings.

With the cost of energy rising, the cost to maintain and supply your energy rises too. Standing charges are regulated by OFGEM the industry regulator, and this is regulated across all energy providers

So I have replied asking them how the costs she states above have increased so much in 2 years. Nothing will come of it but nothing else has went up 525% in 2 years that I know of.

I take it you're coming off a long term fixed deal. How long was it?

2 year fix. I come off at the start of May so I won't be renewing any tariff sooner than that.

As I say, I know it will go up given the current circumstances but the standing charge increase is ridiculous and you're held to ransom. People are in control of how much power they use so, if they want to save money, they can try and reduce consumption but they are not in control of the standing charge...It's almost as if the energy companies realise this so lump some of the costs onto the charge to maintain profits.

As I say, I know it will go up given the current circumstances but the standing charge increase is ridiculous and you're held to ransom. People are in control of how much power they use so, if they want to save money, they can try and reduce consumption but they are not in control of the standing charge...It's almost as if the energy companies realise this so lump some of the costs onto the charge to maintain profits.
Standing charges are 20p or more for most people for quite some time (before the increases) you got very lucky on the fixed deal you are on. Still the increase is massive. Also if you believe companies like Octopus who are apparently running at a loss, they are not making profit (whether this is true or not is up in the air)

Last edited:
2 year fix. I come off at the start of May so I won't be renewing any tariff sooner than that.

You had a great deal and, at least for now, the good times are over. You've been sheltered from recent events and now they're all hitting you at once.

The standing charge has to cover certain costs. If they go up so does the standing charge.

Standing charge costs include:
  • using and maintaining the energy networks, wires and pipes that carry gas and electricity across the country to your home
  • keeping your home connected to the energy network
  • carrying out meter readings
  • payments towards government initiatives that help vulnerable households and reduce CO2 emissions (a not insignificant cost)
  • the shortfall caused by any suppliers going bust who do not have the funds to cover the credits their customers have built up (again, a not insignificant cost)

It's mildly higher but a 1.75x increase is not anything close to the 5.25x increase on what mine went to. The standing charge is pretty much 1/3 of my bill now and is only £10/month short of my entire power bill as it stands now... Ridiculous.

Also - prepayment meters like yours have higher standing charges I believe so its comparing apples with oranges

I know it's also to do with bailing out the bust companies but how long is that bailout for and, once complete, is it a guarantee that the standing charge will reduce again? The cynic in me says not a chance.

I have emailed Eon to advise on this and they said:

So I have replied asking them how the costs she states above have increased so much in 2 years. Nothing will come of it but nothing else has went up 525% in 2 years that I know of.

Remember when they said all these energy companies going bust was going to cost us? Well here it is in the standing charge. You've been living in a bubble on a cheap deal, welcome to reality.

Remember when they said all these energy companies going bust was going to cost us? Well here it is in the standing charge. You've been living in a bubble on a cheap deal, welcome to reality.
they won't even energy companies, they were just middle men resellers.

I don't get why they were even allowed to operate

Back
Top Bottom