Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

A PC kicking out heat isn't efficient, the excess heat costs power, and electric costs more per kwh than gas does.

I can spin up a AAA game and the 3080 will heat the room pretty well, but it's also burning 0.5kw the whole time it's running.
Sorry that was not meant as serious in regards to the PC but since it is on and being worked on it at least is giving some heat out as ambient whilst in use but I am not suggesting turning it on specifically as a heater. On note I have basically stopped gaming cause of costs to do so with regard power. Even at about 0.27kWh that is the same as about 3hrs of work PC use.

I turned on water heating for 30 mins to do dishes, (usually its on longer as I do same time as bath water) and was only coldish warm, next time I think I will fill the dishes bowl with hot shower water, probably more efficient as its immediately hot.

Room temp is now 15.4C, PC gradually heating things up, and yeah I havent turned on the PC to use as a heater, I am doing work on it. :)

Last edited:
If you have a hot water tank you'll need to heat it up to a specific temp to kill off legionnaires periodically.

I think most people heat it daily for that reason, the tanks don't lose a lot of heat and lost heat should in theory make it inside the house.

Something to be wary of if you've turned that off.

A PC kicking out heat isn't efficient, the excess heat costs power, and electric costs more per kwh than gas does.

I can spin up a AAA game and the 3080 will heat the room pretty well, but it's also burning 0.5kw the whole time it's running.

Not sure about that, surely it's nearly 100% efficient (save for any energy used to power the fans or HDD if present).

I don't have gas for example so a comparison with gas isn't relevant to me personally, for anyone who'd otherwise be using an electric heater in a given situation the PC is a potential alternative... someone should create some crypto heaters; let people get some cashback on their bills! :D

Yeah warm but not above 60 degree is the real risk area for legionella.
Basically warm water has plenty of energy to thrive, hot kills it, cold basically stops it reproducing.

Its why industrial water cooling towers were such a risk as they may be permanently tepid, but never hot enough to kill it.

If your just doing a bowl of washing up and you don't want to keep hot water then a kettle is probably best and dilute with cold tap to required temp.

Last edited:
Not sure about that, surely it's nearly 100% efficient (save for any energy used to power the fans or HDD if present).

I don't have gas for example so a comparison with gas isn't relevant to me personally, for anyone who'd otherwise be using an electric heater in a given situation the PC is a potential alternative... someone should create some crypto heaters; let people get some cashback on their bills! :D

I think what he meant was an efficient use of money…

I've been able to opt into Octopus's Saving Sessions since having a smart meter installed yesterday, but since they're still not receiving data (can take up to 14 days), I don't think I'll be earning anything! :p

Last edited:
Yeah warm but not above 60 degree is the real risk area for legionella.
Basically warm water has plenty of energy to thrive, hot kills it, cold basically stops it reproducing.

Its why industrial water cooling towers were such a risk as they may be permanently tepid, but never hot enough to kill it.

If your just doing a bowl of washing up and you don't want to keep hot water then a kettle is probably best and dilute with cold tap to required temp.
True, kettle is probably better bet than shower.

Last edited:
BBC just mansplaining that legal wrangle/tug-of-war over Bulb will not impact customers supply, we'll see how big octopuses pockets really are.

for heating just you, in close proximity, you may use less energy with PC than gas central heating, my hands are currently warmed by the PC to a higher temp than heating could probably achieve.

like boiling an electric kettle uses less energy than gas hob, or belief, using an airfryer is more efficient than an oven (not if you are batch cooking)
reposting
52332895522_cdc1f53fb9_o_d.jpg

If you have a hot water tank you'll need to heat it up to a specific temp to kill off legionnaires periodically.

I think most people heat it daily for that reason, the tanks don't lose a lot of heat and lost heat should in theory make it inside the house.

Something to be wary of if you've turned that off.

Had to change out the immersion tank a couple of years ago, the new one is covered in some form of hard insulation with a blue topcoat.

We added another immersion Jacket to it as well, the airing cupboard it all lives in is no longer any use as an airing cupboard, it's probably the coldest place in the house now.
Shows how much heat the old one was losing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom