Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

In pretty much every business I've worked in, in any industry, lumpy demand is more expensive than smooth predictable demand. Incentivising people to use off peak electric could be argued as just recognising that reduced cost?

Those last few % of power generation they have to bring online are the ones who were basically taking the **** when supply contracts are handed out
Its cheaper for NG to pay £2.25 per kwh avoided vs normal than to pay them to generate it

Smashed it. :)

Thanks for being part of our Saving Session on 12th December. Here’s a quick look at the difference your efforts made:
  • You saved 0.131kWh, which earned you 240 OctoPoints – worth £0.3.

I thought people weren’t going to fiddle it for money lol.
it isn't really fiddling it. if you go on the assumption that the power HR period Is the most dirty and most expensive energy of the day then doing what ever it takes to get through that period without using the grid is a win win. (I don't as it's too much of a hassle to do it however last power (2) hrs I hit the trip switch on my battery to make sure I had the juice to carry me through. it works as well. I used no grid power.... and my battery ran out at 7:30 pm so timed it perfectly and made a nice £2.50 from that session.

Got an email from Eon energy prices to rise again from january, oh joy
What's the difference? Mine is a pence bump on UC for Elec.
Eon_uc.png

Last edited:
it isn't really fiddling it. if you go on the assumption that the power HR period Is the most dirty and most expensive energy of the day then doing what ever it takes to get through that period without using the grid is a win win. (I don't as it's too much of a hassle to do it however last power (2) hrs I hit the trip switch on my battery to make sure I had the juice to carry me through. it works as well. I used no grid power.... and my battery ran out at 7:30 pm so timed it perfectly and made a nice £2.50 from that session.
That’s how it supposed to work. Purposely filling your battery up before to artificially inflate usage in order to gain money is fiddling. Leaving your battery alone to do it’s normal thing as you did the rest of the week is not.

Choosing not to put the dishwasher on during the period is perfectly acceptable and is in the spirit of what the scheme is trying to achieve, as is not boiling the kettle, turning off your electric heater, oven, ect. They are very different things and you all know it.

Last edited:
Despite being on whole-amount DD for the last 4 months, British Gas has still managed to take overpayments and build up credit in my account again :rolleyes: Absolute muppets, and I guess that means another long wait on their phones to get through to agent again

Mine is equally messed up, on whole amount DD but they haven’t billed or taken it, only had two of three +£66 credits and if I login I can’t view any of my DD or billing information.
Can’t face trying to call them, it’s too much hassle!

You can laugh but look at this.

52565357550_4c40e83fb2_c.jpg

You can’t tell me shenanigans are not going on? 15/11 nothing then every session has increased after a month later 5000 points lol.

This is what my battery looks like without trying to change my usage at all.

D74-F6955-F7-D8-44-A4-BCA8-2860-B19448-AE.png

Dishwasher used overnight as it should be, battery charged overnight. Ashp put on at 4pm and been on ever since, tea cooked at 5pm and I’ve still got just under half my battery left. So my normal usage would have made nothing unless I purposely altered it to gain points.

You can laugh but look at this.

You can’t tell me shenanigans are not going on? 15/11 nothing then every session has increased after a month later 5000 points lol.
~The recent session was double the time of the others - 2 hours vs 1 hour, so hence double the points

Also, generally speaking - the more points you get, the more electricity you have used the previous 10 days, at peak cost.
For me - it's just less solar generation as the the sun is lower, so my battery is being charged less and used more.

Last edited:
Has anybody fitted something like this?

On first glance is looked like nonsense. But after a bit of a read it might actually save quite a bit of energy.
Vent-Axia do one too, my house is not warm enough to benefit. :D

[On 13 Dec] I used roughly 70kwh of gas yesterday, but we are both still getting over illness so we had 18-19 from about 8am till 10pm, this is a 4 bed detached. It is cold at the moment so I don't really see that as bad value.
Sure for many its a bit painful but equally for me for maybe 3 months its worth the cost.
I had an earful from my parents when they visited the previous day, so on 13 Dec I tried to run the heating "properly". This is a 4 bed detached and it reached 18 degrees in the lounge. 150kWh of gas and 19kWh electricity (mostly oil filled radiators).

Looking forward to the external temperature reaching 12C next week. Can't come soon enough

I had an earful from my parents when they visited the previous day, so on 13 Dec I tried to run the heating "properly". This is a 4 bed detached and it reached 18 degrees in the lounge. 150kWh of gas and 19kWh electricity (mostly oil filled radiators).

Looking forward to the external temperature reaching 12C next week. Can't come soon enough
That is insane, bill is going to be painful.

I put the heating on all day yesterday being home all day and ended up at £16 in gas only reached a max of 16 too! decided it’s just going to be in the evening now. I’ll wear my coat/hat and gloves through the day and then have some heat in the evening.

I have spent the day doing some draught dealing as going round id found a fair few. Main one was round skirting boards etc so hoping that might help a tad!

We’re using something like 140kwh of gas per day at the moment and our thermostat is only set to 16.5c. Can’t wait for milder weather. I did a bit of remedial work over summer but think I’m going to buy a FLIR camera and go to town next year.

Last edited:
We’re using something like 140kwh of gas per day at the moment and our thermostat is only set to 16.5c. Can’t wait for milder weather. I did a bit of remedial work over summer but think I’m going to buy a FLIR camera and go to town next year.
We need some kind of group-buy or lend scheme on a FLIR. Its a lot of money to spend for 10minutes use :(

I'd get new parents rather than take that crap advice

Back
Top Bottom