Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Octopus getting a benefit from the larger numbers vs overheads etc. so long as they know where to put investment is a good thing. They own wind farms, if they can keep on doing that with all their intelligent tariffs better shaping demand will be better for all. Government subsidy is always with some bias though, in theory it should have been done through bankruptcy courts etc. except you cant be allowing people to go without really.

Last edited:

How much gas does it cost to run gas central heating per hour?​

Energy prices change a few times a year in the UK, in line with the energy price cap, therefore, it’s always worth checking the latest figures.
However, at present, the cost of gas per hour is 15p per kWh, that means it will cost £4.50 to run a 30 kW per hour.

How to work out how much gas your boiler uses​

The above example is based on the UK average boiler size of 35 kW, however, if your boiler is a different size, you can easily work it out by using the following formula:

Your boiler size (in kW) x the number of hours used per day = daily gas consumption (measured in kWh).

For example, if your boiler has a size (in power output) of 30 kW and you use it for 5 hours each day, you will be using 150 kWh of gas each day.

As of October 2022, the current cost of gas per kWh is 15p per kwh, that means that it will cost around £4.50 to run a 30 kW per hour.

Well that's wrong at least as far as prices go, because it's £0.10 per kwh for most of us.

Also not convinced boiler will be running absolutely full tilt, an hour of mine is about 10kwh but I don't think it's only a 10kwh boiler.

It will cost £3.00 per hour to run a 30kw boiler , but in theory it will be running that price only for say 2 hours whilst house heats up from say 10 degrees to 2o degrees (or whatever your thermo stat is set at ) then it will start using around half that per hour keeping house at that temp

Last edited:
We're in the range of 50-57kWh of gas a day at the moment. That's for a 3-bed detached, mixture of running on timer (morning 0540-0730 and evening 1600-2130) and manually overridden if I'm WFH.

What boiler do you have? How old is it? How many radiators are on? What temp are they set to?

I ask because that sounds crazy efficient!

I've just noticed my smart meter readout has the wrong rate for gas. Thought it was costing nearly £3/day to heat the place the past week, it is actually costing over £9! :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: fez
it will be the insulation not the boiler. and he didnt mention the temperature set point
Yea I'd say it's probably insulation.
What boiler do you have? How old is it? How many radiators are on? What temp are they set to?

I ask because that sounds crazy efficient!
House is about 100 sq.m, built 2017. Boiler is Ideal Logic Combi C35 (far, far too big), 10 rads with an upstairs/downstairs split-zoning, thermostat set point is 19ºC.

I bumped up the flow temperature to 68ºC with these really cold spells but now that's going mild it's back down to 60ºC. Before the cold spell we were using <40kWh per day, which includes two people with daily showers and a bit of other hot water usage.

Reactions: TNA
Yea I'd say it's probably insulation.

House is about 100 sq.m, built 2017. Boiler is Ideal Logic Combi C35 (far, far too big), 10 rads with an upstairs/downstairs split-zoning, thermostat set point is 19ºC.

I bumped up the flow temperature to 68ºC with these really cold spells but now that's going mild it's back down to 60ºC. Before the cold spell we were using <40kWh per day, which includes two people with daily showers and a bit of other hot water usage.

Yeah, defo your insulation kicking in there allowing the thermometer to do it‘s job. We need new windows really. They are double glazed but as I recall looking at the paper work when buying the property they were installed around 15 years or so ago. They visually look fine but some are letting in some air. Trouble is I don’t see the point in changing them just yet as I will likely do an extension in a couple of years both at the front and back of the property and I think it’s best get new windows then.

Well that's wrong at least as far as prices go, because it's £0.10 per kwh for most of us.

Also not convinced boiler will be running absolutely full tilt, an hour of mine is about 10kwh but I don't think it's only a 10kwh boiler.
Not to mention the headline rating of a boiler (a combi boiler, at least) is a maximum output and that will be for hot water. Heating range will be much lower. Mine is a 35kW boiler, which is 24-35kW for DWH, whereas the heating range is 7-24kW. Even on the boiler's smallest flame (7kW) it is too much for the heating system once it's up to temperature. So the boiler does small bursts of flame to keep the flow at the set point - this reduces efficiency, unfortunately. The most efficient a boiler can be is running the smallest flame possible to hold the temperature absolutely steady. I estimate our system would need a boiler that can modulate down to 1-2kW, possibly even a touch less, to maintain a 60ºC flow temperature when the system is up to temperature and only the downstairs zone is "on".

We see somewhere around £0.35-£0.80/hour when our heating is running, a far cry from the £3.50 the boiler "should" be costing on the link/post towards the top of this page.

Last edited:
Got a letter about new charges from Jan 1st. Elec standing charge is going up by 0.007p/day to 41.718p and kWh unit rate is dropping from 33.475p to 33.328p. Gas standing has no change at 26.643p per day and gas kWh unit rate is also static at 10.326p. These include the increase in Gov support. It's going down!

Last night I came back home to a room temp of 5.6C, I honestly dont think my home has ever been that cold, it felt like I was standing outside in snow or something, walking through front door was a gust of cold air, it honestly felt like it was colder than outside. Hands painful and could feel on head, was concerned for my health the GCH was put on and has been on since, I figured since we about to get a boost of 10C outside so its just one day really. Plus if it was 12C outside tomorow and 5C inside, it would take a while for it to naturally heat up inside, better its already there.

So no data yet on the gas consumption, I will provide it tomorrow.
The radiator in my living room isnt fully up to temp, so that area isnt as warm, hallway has no radiator so also bit cooler, the bedroom hit 14.9C but now at 15.5C with PC on and will probably hit 16-17C, this is with boiler maxed out, no room thermostats, radiator maxed out. About 14-15 hours of boiler on.

--edit--

Kitchen is pretty warm, not measured temp but feels like how it should be with heating on, it has a double glazed window, the only one in my property.

Last edited:
Blimey, my energy hub has really brought home how much energy bills have soared in the past year.

in 3 months of winter 2021/22, we used 8,161 kWh.

In 3 months of autumn 2022, we used 2,835 kWh.

the bill for winter was £388, and the bill for autumn is £338.

Autumn bill just £50 less for 5,326 kWh less gas.

Thats astonishing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom