Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Blimey, my energy hub has really brought home how much energy bills have soared in the past year.

in 3 months of winter 2021/22, we used 8,161 kWh.

In 3 months of autumn 2022, we used 2,835 kWh.

the bill for winter was £388, and the bill for autumn is £338.

Autumn bill just £50 less for 5,326 kWh less gas.

Thats astonishing!
How come your autumn use was so heavy?

Gas has risen more than electric as well so yeah a very big hit there.

Last edited:
I've just noticed my smart meter readout has the wrong rate for gas. Thought it was costing nearly £3/day to heat the place the past week, it is actually costing over £9! :(
Lots of people have the wrong gas rates there's been lots of complaints about it. Mine still shows 3.1p and 20p standing charge. I've contacted bulb numerous times and they just say switch it off and on again

Lots of people have the wrong gas rates there's been lots of complaints about it. Mine still shows 3.1p and 20p standing charge. I've contacted bulb numerous times and they just say switch it off and on again

That's really bad and could really mess someone on a tight budget up.

How come your autumn use was so heavy?

Gas has risen more than electric as well so yeah a very big hit there.
There’s 5 adults here. The showers running for around 25 hours a month. Then there’s the gas hob on for quite a while as is the central heating. It’s very easy to hit that figure.

On the 10 December, we hit 166 kWh in just 24 hours.

Turned off 2 lights that were accidently left on from when I went bed, I checked on my IHD the current cost for my gas so far today (£8) shows floor space is far from everything, thought the electricity wattage seems high, turned off 2 LED's and bam 30w gone. LED's are good but I dont consider them good enough that they can be left on carelessy. They are bright LED bulbs though.

The maths would put them at about £6-7 month if on 24/7? EPG rates.

I wont know used kWh for the gas until tomorrow as IHD is for dummies mode only showing cost (at wrong unit rates, so had to calculate gas still). My main curioisity is if its going full pelt hourly or does what everyone says, to a trickle after a big start.

Last edited:
Turned off 2 lights that were accidently left on from when I went bed, I checked on my IHD the current cost for my gas so far today (£8) shows floor space is far from everything, thought the electricity wattage seems high, turned off 2 LED's and bam 30w gone. LED's are good but I dont consider them good enough that they can be left on carelessy. They are bright LED bulbs though.

The maths would put them at about £6-7 month if on 24/7? EPG rates.

I wont know used kWh for the gas until tomorrow as IHD is for dummies mode only showing cost (at wrong unit rates, so had to calculate gas still). My main curioisity is if its going full pelt hourly or does what everyone says, to a trickle after a big start.
15w, they must be extremely bright. Our house is adequately lit with 5w bulbs, equivalent to 50-60w.

15w bulbs must be equivalent to about 150w incandescent!

Last edited:
15w, they must be extremely bright. Our house is adequately lit with 5w bulbs, equivalent to 50-60w.

15w bulbs must be equivalent to about 150w incandescent!
The one in kitchen is 18w fitted by landlord tech and is really bright, I didnt do it as couldnt reach and diffilcult.

Other is 12w and also too bright for my liking, but the bulbs were bit pricy to buy so didnt replace, I did replace my most heavily used bulb in my bedroom with a smart bulb which I have much dimmer.

The 12w if I remember was either 2nd dimmest or middle one from amazon, there were brighter ones for sale as I hadnt had LED before I didnt know which one I needed before buying, I think they targeted at people who liked the really bright old school bulbs.

The box for the living room bulb says 8w equivalent to 60w philips(so yours must be extra efficient or something for 5 to 60), but the IHD is definitely moving 12w when I cycle it.

Last edited:
The one in kitchen is 18w fitted by landlord tech and is really bright, I didnt do it as couldnt reach and diffilcult.

Other is 12w and also too bright for my liking, but the bulbs were bit pricy to buy so didnt replace, I did replace my most heavily used bulb in my bedroom with a smart bulb which I have much dimmer.

The 12w if I remember was either 2nd dimmest or middle one from amazon, there were brighter ones for sale as I hadnt had LED before I didnt know which one I needed before buying, I think they targeted at people who liked the really bright old school bulbs.

The box for the living room bulb says 8w equivalent to 60w philips(so yours must be extra efficient or something for 5 to 60), but the IHD is definitely moving 12w when I cycle it.
Mine is prob closer to 50w equivalent.

The simplest way is just to multiply the LED wattage by 10 to get your incandescent equivalent

Mine is prob closer to 50w equivalent.

The simplest way is just to multiply the LED wattage by 10 to get your incandescent equivalent
I am just quoting you what is said on the box which seems to be a 6.25x ratio not 10x.

These are the bulbs used in my hallway and living room. Marketed as warm white, but to me is more like bright white. :/

The one in my bedroom I replaced with a smart bulb of which I forced to the desired tone and brightness. :)

PPbinQj.jpg

Last edited:

Disgusting this day and age

As terrible as that is, it depends why they're afraid surely - I know people at work who've heard all of the horror stories of the past 6 months and haven't put their heating on at all over the past 2 week cold spell, despite them being perfectly able to afford it and them living in housing of various standards that would retain enough heat if given the chance. I've also heard some people still going on about the cap as if it doesn't matter how many units they use. Some people are just clueless. There's only so much government and suppliers can do to try and educate people about how it all works at the end of the day. There will always be a spectrum of people, from those who are totally clued up to those who aren't.

If they aren't putting the heating on because they genuinely can't afford it after all the support offered, then yes, that is disgusting.

Last edited:
I had a conversation with a lad from work who said energy won't be much more than 2.5k he was quite shocked when I told him that 2.5k a year is only the average house price

He thought I was joking when I said we could be looking at 8 to 10k next winter way energy prices keep rising

Last edited:
I had a conversation with a lad from work who said energy won't be much more than 2.5k he was quite shocked when I told him that 2.5k a year is only the average house price

He thought I was joking when I said we could be looking at 8 to 10k next winter way energy prices keep rising

Unlikely to be future big increases unless something dramatic happens like Russia launching nukes or invading someone else. Wholesale year ahead pricing has remained relatively static around x350 for both gas (p/th) and electricity (£/MWh) over the past 4 months, although there's been some drops recently. How supplies fare on the continent into the new year towards spring will likely be the biggest determinent of what happens with our cap but it's also unlikely to drop significantly in the medium term.

Last edited:
Unlikely to be future big increases unless something dramatic happens like Russia launching nukes or invading someone else. Wholesale year ahead pricing has remained relatively static around £350 for both gas (p/th) and electricity (£/MWh) over the past 4 months, although there's been some drops recently. How supplies fare on the continent into the new year towards spring will likely be the biggest determinent of what happens with our cap but it's also unlikely to drop significantly in the medium term.

Nah. It'll be fine. You'll have that permanent warm glow in that case. No need for gas then!

Unlikely to be future big increases unless something dramatic happens like Russia launching nukes or invading someone else. Wholesale year ahead pricing has remained relatively static around x350 for both gas (p/th) and electricity (£/MWh) over the past 4 months, although there's been some drops recently. How supplies fare on the continent into the new year towards spring will likely be the biggest determinent of what happens with our cap but it's also unlikely to drop significantly in the medium term.
Kinda apart from current pricing is giving us true costs of the £4300 and we are still artificially being supported/blocked from paying those costs so if nothing changes then you'll be at a 70% increase on current cap when support stops.

If nothing changes that's where we will ne at. Even if it drops significantly we'll be struggling to not see any rise.

As terrible as that is, it depends why they're afraid surely - I know people at work who've heard all of the horror stories of the past 6 months and haven't put their heating on at all over the past 2 week cold spell, despite them being perfectly able to afford it and them living in housing of various standards that would retain enough heat if given the chance. I've also heard some people still going on about the cap as if it doesn't matter how many units they use. Some people are just clueless. There's only so much government and suppliers can do to try and educate people about how it all works at the end of the day. There will always be a spectrum of people, from those who are totally clued up to those who aren't.

If they aren't putting the heating on because they genuinely can't afford it after all the support offered, then yes, that is disgusting.
Today has really shown me the effect of the house build.

My kitchen is way warmer than my bedroom and living room, it is smaller, but its also the only room that has double glazing.

My cost seems to be comparable to those in 4 bed houses, of what I have tallied so far, tomorrow the kWh will be revealed also broken down into timespan.

I can see this been £15-20 by end of day, with two of my rooms merely no longer freezing (still chilly), £20 x 30 days, thats not affordable for many people. GCH can be a money vacuum.

I wonder if anyone still has those old gas room fires/heaters from the 80s? The gas equivalent of a electric heater?

Last edited:
Could you guys take a look at my bill please. I am with Sainsburys Energy on their SVR tariff and the unit prices they are charging me are confusing. I was under the impression that under the government cap we would be charged a maximum of 34p per kwh with a standing charge of 45p per day for electricity and 10.3p per kwh for gas with a standing charge of 27p per day. What Sainsburys seem to be doing is billing me for a higher rate and then redoing the figures for a lower rate and then subtracting that from the higher total. They won't explain where they get these rates from or why they aren't just applying the government capped rates. The only reply I got from them after waiting 18 days for one was "that's the way the industry has told us to do it"!! Surely this can't be right? In all the years I have been paying for energy this is the first time I have not been able to understand my bill.

GHoUbZl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom