Energy Suppliers

Don
I didn't think my usage was that high, I knew it was more than average but when I asked some colleagues how much they are paying per month mine wasn't even the highest (I don't know their unit rate)

thermostat set to 21c in the winter (victorian terrace)

lots of smart tech including 5 cameras.
Total for 2021
£1674.37

This is the problem with comparing costs versus actual usage.

For reference, 4-bed house, 2 adults and 2 kids, wife and I both WFH 5-days a week - 3400kWh electric, 7800kWh Gas over the last 12 months (although it is a new-build and very efficient).

Soldato
You'll be looking at 2000-2500 a year for gas alone just on unit cost with that
And for electricity probably 2500-3000?

5k bill over the year
Don't forget the much higher standing charge too now. I worked out @xb8browney will be looking at about £7k total on the April rate, and over £9.2k on the October rate.

Caporegime
I expected my bill to jump to £3000 per year not what's been quoted above.

It will be much much higher than that.

Gas will be 10p to 11p a unit ish. (7-8p now 50 percent rise in October)
If you use 23000 that's £2500 ish

Electricity will be 45p a unit ish (28-29p now 50 percent rise in October)
If you use 7000 that's £3000ish

Who knows what standing charge will be. But it will probably be over 1 pound a day

Caporegime
Will be interesting to revisit this next year :D

I've just had a smart meter installed and I'm hoping prices will settle down before my fix ends. Otherwise I'm going to have to make home adjustments.

It really does make it obvious how much electricity we use

The plasma TV will have to go!

Soldato
@xb8browney as other have said your usage is really high. Even if your insulation is bad (fix this!!), that only really impacts the gas. Your electric is also very high, even for your household make up.

We work from home every day and have an electric car and our electric usage is still significantly lower than what you are consuming.

No doubt you’ll have the opportunity to reduce usage significantly just through behaviour change. But also get some insulation in that loft now, it helps keep things cool in summer too. Likewise if your ground floor is suspended, get some under those floor boards too.

Soldato
I think BigBoy touched on this.

The system has problems with how long it takes for the talking to start, and they dont have enough manpower to have engineer sitting at a customer's house for half a day to see if it starts working, when the guy came to replace my IHD he gave me his mobile number and said I could ring him back before 5pm if the IHD stayed broken.

The system is so overloaded now there is customers now who are unable to book a smart meter fitting.

I think the actual meters can take longer to start uploading and synchronising at supplier, my electric meter took multiple days, and gas meter a week or so for readings to show on supplier website.

How close is your gas meter to the electric meter?
Only about 3 or 4 metres apart.
Electric is working fine both on the IHD and online. Gas nothing not even on the IHD 24 hours later.
I know the online but can take longer, but the display normally starts working within an hour or two.

Don
I expected my bill to jump to £3000 per year not what's been quoted above.

I have documented all of my energy costs in a spreadsheet and my annual costs are going to be £2500/year with usage that is around 1/3 of what you're using.

Me: 3400kWh electric, 7800kWh Gas
You: 7005kWh electric, 23236kWh Gas

If we break down your costs on the SVR:

Electric: 45p/day standing charge - £164.25 / year, 7005kWh @ 42p/kWh = £2942.10
Total Elec costs - £3106.35

Gas: 27p/day standing charge - £98.55 / year, 23236kWh @ 10p/kWh = £2323.60
Total Gas costs - £2422.15

Total energy costs
(based on the predicted October SVR rate) - £5528.50 / year

Soldato
@xb8browney as other have said your usage is really high. Even if your insulation is bad (fix this!!), that only really impacts the gas. Your electric is also very high, even for your household make up.

We work from home every day and have an electric car and our electric usage is still significantly lower than what you are consuming.

No doubt you’ll have the opportunity to reduce usage significantly just through behaviour change. But also get some insulation in that loft now, it helps keep things cool in summer too. Likewise if your ground floor is suspended, get some under those floor boards too.
Victorian terrace means hugely reduced opportunity for insulation without causing massive damp issues (speaking from experience).

Soldato
I have documented all of my energy costs in a spreadsheet and my annual costs are going to be £2500/year with usage that is around 1/3 of what you're using.

Me: 3400kWh electric, 7800kWh Gas
You: 7005kWh electric, 23236kWh Gas

If we break down your costs on the SVR:

Electric: 45p/day standing charge - £164.25 / year, 7005kWh @ 42p/kWh = £2942.10
Total Elec costs - £3106.35

Gas: 27p/day standing charge - £98.55 / year, 23236kWh @ 10p/kWh = £2323.60
Total Gas costs - £2422.15

Total energy costs
(based on the predicted October SVR rate) - £5528.50 / year
Have the October rates been published or is that just adding 32%-ish to the April rates?

Don
Victorian terrace means hugely reduced opportunity for insulation without causing massive damp issues (speaking from experience).

Indeed, but his electricity use is massive too. My guess is a combination of the A/C and maybe electric showers, ceramic hobs, maybe a hot tub etc.

Caporegime
Yeah definitely without changes you'd want to be estimating for 6k

I think the windows in our house are the worst offender. Going to try replacing hinges and seals as a start. As I'd rather not buy new ones!

Im going to check what our electricity usage is looking like now!

Caporegime
No they haven't been published, guess work on my own part :) I don't think they are going to be far off of the mark though.

Your numbers look fair to me.
Depends how they load the increase.

People are in for a shock this year. The numbers talked about are not that useful to the average person (I hate this average household use in pounds figure).
We are into summer with these new costs. And this is the cheap period. Winter is coming

Soldato
No they haven't been published, guess work on my own part :) I don't think they are going to be far off of the mark though.
Yea fair enough. I just used the April rates and multiplied by 1.32 to get the expected 32% rise :) it'll obviously depend on where they slap on the new costs. I'd imagine it'd be on the unit rates though.

I've estimated we'd be around £2450 all-in on April SVR rates but about £2050 if I can get on Octopus GO, and that's even accounting for the 37p/kWh day rate. That's two of us (and a dog), plus my EV with 8000 miles/annum, though I doubt I'll get that high.

Back
Top Bottom