Energy Suppliers

Low usage? Your gas isn't that low.

My own annual usage is:
  1. Gas 3,850 kWh
  2. Elec 1,200 kWh
This is why I am annoyed about subsidising the unit rate with an extortionate Daily Charge, people like me get screwed :(

It's a 3 story 4 bed detached house, with 2 adults and 2 young kids. I'd thought it was low for us... considering we have some big rooms to heat.

Context is everything :cry:.... For your house/family size I would guess this is low :)

:cry: Yeah, I guess I should have said that to start with. I'm not bragging by any means. it's not a mansion, just has good sized bedrooms, and the downstairs has a large kitchen dinner which takes a fair bit to heat.

Has everyone else's standing charges gone mental? I can understand (well not really, seeing as they have made massive profits) Shell increasing the energy cost but not the hike to the standing charge

Your electricity rates will change from 20.140p to 28.020p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 24.38p to 42.24p.
Your gas rates will change from 4.043p to 7.343p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

Has everyone else's standing charges gone mental? I can understand (well not really, seeing as they have made massive profits) Shell increasing the energy cost but not the hike to the standing charge
Its partly to lessen the blow of people cutting down on their usage, may as-well wack up the charge that we can't do anything about. Got to keep the record profits up :)

So that standing charge goes to the government? I don't think that is correct.
Credit balances were transferred across from defunct suppliers "without any underlying sterling". Suppliers therefore 'took the hit'. The suppliers were told they'd make this back, with a level of certainty (i.e. standing charge) through an increase to standing charges.

Has anybody waiting for refunds from Shell heard anything from them? They aren't even responding to my emails now and they have over £200 of my money from Green. This is a complete farce.

I posted in this thread a few days ago, probably got lost within all the current madness.

I got my cheque this week and it has now cleared into my account.

From the point of them agreeing I needed to be refunded, to actually getting the check was about 3 weeks. It took a fair bit of correspondence to get to that position.

I found their web form tended to get a better response compared to just emailing.

Its not a profit grab, its to pay for all the suppliers that went bust last year, remember when we were told bills would rise because of it.... well here it is.

It’s also to pay off things like Hinckley point C and all the past green initiatives and the discount people who are on welfare get.

Yep, the standing charge covers the following:

- Moving customers of firms that went bust
- Green levy, Warm Home Discount, network cost rises

Well, I have learnt something. Absolute pain in the arse.

As long as these big energy firms don't lose a tiny bit of profit though eh?

Most have been supplying at a loss recently anyway, the profit margin is a tiny % of your bill in reality. Now maybe they shouldn't make any profit and it should be nationalised but that is another discussion.

Yes, you can only do what you can with the property you have. I assume you’ve got at least 250mm (or more) in the loft already if you have gone and got cavity wall put in?

Windows are the biggest issue in my place and they are only 20 years old. They are really drafty despite being UPVC and double glazed. They need ripping out but it’s a big job and really not cheap at all.

Floors are something to consider if they are suspended, it’s not that difficult to DIY if you don’t mind getting stuck in. Solid floors are obviously much more difficult to deal with.

Same. I'm sure it's the windows that are the biggest issue for me.

Same age too!

They certainly don't generate at a loss though...

Why would you work for a loss? Makes no sense. The suppliers are only supplying at a loss because government legislation is forcing them to.
All the people moaning about companies making a profit, I assume you all work for charitable organisations or non profit organisations, otherwise why is it ok for you to make a profit and not others?

Most have been supplying at a loss recently anyway, the profit margin is a tiny % of your bill in reality. Now maybe they shouldn't make any profit and it should be nationalised but that is another discussion.

Absolutely this, suppliers have been running at huge losses (especially the smaller ones) larger ones like my Employer are lucky that they hedge so far in advance so can prepare for the worst to happen.

There is very little profit in wholesale power to the public, most suppliers only get revenue from retail and major business.

It's a 3 story 4 bed detached house, with 2 adults and 2 young kids. I'd thought it was low for us... considering we have some big rooms to heat.

Your electric seems very low.

For comparison, 2,600 electricity and 8,600 gas. 4 bed detached with 3 young adults, 2 of whom are away every weekend and besides games consoles and cooking don't use much in the way of energy. I work from home 2 days a week and am often away at weekends 50% of the time myself.

My electric looks high by comparison to yours though have a bit of AV kit, all my lights are LED, appliances fairly well rated and besides hoovering for 15 mins once a week don't have any really power hungry devices. Must be the microwave and the fridge/freezer...

Back
Top Bottom