Energy Suppliers

Not sure what to do, fix or stay on flexible tariff?

Work out how many kWh of each gas and electricity you will use between now and October (6 months) and the figures below are the difference not including the 5% VAT

Gas 3.68p kWh
Elec 8.71p kWh

So if you use 2000kWh of electricity that would cost you £182.91 extra on the fixed vs the variable, but you'd save £34.21 in standing charge costs. You get the idea, work out what you use and do the simple maths, then make a guess, no reason why you have to fix right now either, it's not like we are anywhere near October yet, so if anything you want to be looking at fixing in August time.

Why £800?

I really can't get my head around this :confused:

How much are they predicting it will go up again in October?
Because your only getting 6 months at that figure then you'd be on either another even higher fixed or the same variable the rest of us will be on.
Unless I've got my head around it wrong.

Work out how many kWh of each gas and electricity you will use between now and October (6 months) and the figures below are the difference not including the 5% VAT

Gas 3.68p kWh
Elec 8.71p kWh

So if you use 2000kWh of electricity that would cost you £182.91 extra on the fixed vs the variable, but you'd save £34.21 in standing charge costs. You get the idea, work out what you use and do the simple maths, then make a guess, no reason why you have to fix right now either, it's not like we are anywhere near October yet, so if anything you want to be looking at fixing in August time.

Thank you for explaining, I still don't get it :cry: its been a long day...:o

I am low usage, my yearly amounts are:
  1. Gas 9,500 kWh
  2. Elec 2,000 kWh
So happy to just say half them for 6 month period.

Last edited:
Are dehumidifiers really that much better than a rad for a utility? I'm still investigating, but when I got up this morning apparently we'd already used 3.6kwh? It might be that my car was still charging past midnight. I checked this morning with stuff in the natural off/standby state and were using 111w (disconnected the fridge) so thats 2.6kwh on its own. In still trying to account for other stuff. Did make a schoolboy error last night though, looking at usage and it was 8.8kw. Couldn't work it out then facepqlmed as I realised the car was on a 7kw charger:cry:.

Yeah, fair point. However, still can't work out what is best. Thinking to go with the fixed, Gas is more, but will use less over the summer months and will cover me if there is a big increase in Oct.
It would have to be a hell of an increase to make the fixed worth it.

Low usage? Your gas isn't that low.

My own annual usage is:
  1. Gas 3,850 kWh
  2. Elec 1,200 kWh
This is why I am annoyed about subsidising the unit rate with an extortionate Daily Charge, people like me get screwed :(

He's definitely below average though, but you're right that your usage is very low.

Typical average for UK homes is 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas

I can see gas scaling with size of house die to heating, but I'd have thought electric doesn't scale the same way. One if the guys I work with uses about 2000kwh a year and his Mrs works from home all week and he uses the telly every night with either a pc or ps4. I can't understand why his is so low, I'm beginning to think his meter doesn't work right:cry:.

2000kwh seems very low. I use 3036kwh a year according to Bulb; and that is with two people fully WFH - 2x27" monitors, 2xlaptops, desktop PC in the evenings, TV in the evenings; electric oven.

Gas is only 9456kwh which'll just be hot water (2x 1hr per day), hob.

Snap; my elderly mothers three bed is insane.
6416kwh electricity (that'll be the pond pumps I imagine)
13923kwh gas :eek:

I can see gas scaling with size of house die to heating, but I'd have thought electric doesn't scale the same way. One if the guys I work with uses about 2000kwh a year and his Mrs works from home all week and he uses the telly every night with either a pc or ps4. I can't understand why his is so low, I'm beginning to think his meter doesn't work right:cry:.

:cry:

My yearly is about 2800kWh, 3 bed house with 2 of us, and i WFH all week.

I don't think i've got any particularly high powered devices. I use the dishwasher and washing machine on eco cycles, no tumble drier etc.

Wow, some of this gas usage is insane (to me). We're:

Elec: 6626kWh
Gas: 2201kWh

Two people in a large two bedroom flat, gas boiler for water and central heating and stove top.

Back
Top Bottom