Energy Suppliers

Associate
On tracker my headline figures are:

Electric: 420.5 kWh @ 17.62p/kWh = £91.48
Gas: 1613.4 kWh @ 4.97p/kWh = £92.57

Above includes standing charge, also for reference decided to splash out and the house has been heated to 21c 24/7 for the whole month.

Last edited:
Soldato
On tracker my headline figures are:

Electric: 420.5 kWh @ 17.62p/kWh = £91.48
Gas: 1613.4 kWh @ 4.97p/kWh = £92.57

Above includes standing charge, also for reference decided to splash out and the house has been heated to 21c 24/7 for the whole month.
Mine was similar but drastically different temps at 18degs from 8am-10pm (old victorian, 2.5m bay windows with LOTS of cast iron rads) with the log burner on every eve

Associate
What's everyone's bills and usage looking like for November on tracker?
Not on tracker but making use of E7, seem to be shifting about 80% of my grid usage into the 7 hour off peak window:

431 kWh @ 14.79p
114 kWh @ 31.71p

average of 18.34p per hWh which is similar to tracker I suppose but you don't need to fork out a fair sum to get use of tracker but suppose batteries give you a bit more of a guarantee paired with an E7 tariff.

Total of basically £100 for the month for electric, could probably get decent value from another 3.5 kWh battery, think that would almost put me 100% into the E7 usage. As my solar basically produces next to nothing in Nov/Dec and Jan I think the numbers add up but might wait as battery prices have dropped a lot in the last 12 months so may see if they drop further as the technology improves as my current battery setup will pa

How is tracker looking at the moment with a lack of green energy (onshore at least) the last few days?

Associate
It jumped up for a few days for electric but didn't hit svr, gas went up slightly 7-10 days ago but has been heading down since then and doesn't seem to move as sharply as electric. Currently both are around 30-35% less than svr. Its the gas thats killing me, broke 100kwh yesterday in a 24 hour period! Glad its still producing significant savings considering how cold its been + the reliance on it for grid electric.

bndAdm0.png

Associate
Just moved from Agile to Tracker with Octopus - the Octopus compare app says we are better off on that tariff by generally around 10% a month. It also has the benefit of lower gas prices along with electricity. The best site I've found for an Agile/Tracker/Flexible comparison is https://octotrack.co.uk/ - set it to your region before bookmarking it. Submitted the change via the website and got an email a few hours later confirming it - the Octopus Watch app has updated and is showing the new tariff and some nice savings.

What's interesting is we have a 'soft ban' of 2 x gaming PC's and the wife not washing/using the dryer between 4PM and 7PM for months but Tracker still works out cheaper. We'll keep the PC usage down but at least the wife can use the washer/dryer when she pleases again.

Soldato
Not on tracker but making use of E7, seem to be shifting about 80% of my grid usage into the 7 hour off peak window:

431 kWh @ 14.79p
114 kWh @ 31.71p

average of 18.34p per hWh which is similar to tracker I suppose but you don't need to fork out a fair sum to get use of tracker but suppose batteries give you a bit more of a guarantee paired with an E7 tariff.

Total of basically £100 for the month for electric, could probably get decent value from another 3.5 kWh battery, think that would almost put me 100% into the E7 usage. As my solar basically produces next to nothing in Nov/Dec and Jan I think the numbers add up but might wait as battery prices have dropped a lot in the last 12 months so may see if they drop further as the technology improves as my current battery setup will pa

How is tracker looking at the moment with a lack of green energy (onshore at least) the last few days?
If you have an EV Octopus let you use 'economy 4' which is 1230 till 430 at 7p

Soldato
You talking about Go?

It's 9p/kWh off-peak now rather than 7p, and although they say you need an EV, no one seems to actually check it. 4 hours is fairly short though so not right for everyone.
Yeah I always get mixed up so just describe it. Hadn't realised it had hit 9p! 4 suits me if I plug in most days over winter, but that's because the EV suffers in the cold!

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the general consensus at the moment then? Variable or fix? I'm still riding variable on Octopus since all this kicked off but seeing thoughts now that it's maybe good to fix it down again?

I must admit I don't know much about it all, just wondered what you guys have done

Soldato
What's the general consensus at the moment then? Variable or fix? I'm still riding variable on Octopus since all this kicked off but seeing thoughts now that it's maybe good to fix it down again?

I must admit I don't know much about it all, just wondered what you guys have done
Tracker is still cheaper than variable and fixed and has been for over a year now. Creeped up recently but it's still cheaper (I'm assuming you don't mean tracker when you say variable tho)

All about risk :)

Last edited:
Associate
After a bit of advice, due to come off my 2 year fix with Scottish Power at the end of Jan and Octopus looks like the way to go but which tariff ?

I’m electric only with low use but should i go flexible or tracker

Soldato
After a bit of advice, due to come off my 2 year fix with Scottish Power at the end of Jan and Octopus looks like the way to go but which tariff ?

I’m electric only with low use but should i go flexible or tracker

Tracker should cost less on average, it could cost more sometimes, but I've not seen that yet.

I'd go tracker if you don't mind the small chance it could cost more on occasion.

Tracker has no exit fees, so if it's rising too much you can move to flexible.

Evidence so far suggests that tracker is basically always cheaper than flexible.

Back
Top Bottom