Energy Suppliers

Soldato
The energy 'market' just needs to be ditched, the current status quo is untenable and utterly bonkers. I get a 'cheap' deal that is subsidised by people who don't know or can't shop around in a broken market and many of those are vulnerable or pensioners stuck on the variable tariff.

Vulnerable people don't get put on variables they get put on the best tarrif at the time.

Soldato
Bulb have dropped their standing charge by about 4p per day. They're coming out cheapest on the comparison sites for me again, for electric only.

They also offer a £50 referral credit (for both parties) if you find someone to refer you.

Do we have a handy list of which energy companies have a referral incentive, and how much? Would be useful

Soldato
We've just sucessfully switched to So Energy from Outfox.

They've been great so far, great website that has been easy to use.

Submitted our opening readings and our supply start date was yesterday.

Now to see how Outfox handle our £130 odd credit...

Soldato
Could anyone provide personal reviews on
I'm with tonik at the moment and my 12 months plan is due to end but I dont know if I can renew with the same plan again, So Im looking at looking at other option, does anyone have any good things to say about the following suppliers.

in order of the cheapest
Avro Energy
Bulb
Pure Planet
Octopus
So energy

Last edited:
Soldato
Bulb have dropped their standing charge by about 4p per day. They're coming out cheapest on the comparison sites for me again, for electric only.

They also offer a £50 referral credit (for both parties) if you find someone to refer you.

Do we have a handy list of which energy companies have a referral incentive, and how much? Would be useful

Thanks they were on my spreadsheet but the standing charge made them a bit more than my current deal. That now brings them inline with no lock in or exit fees.

Still not ideal as I want a low tariff for EV charging and I tried to switch to Tide but they couldn't do it without swapping my smart meter for a type 2 which would be March at the earliest. Current supplier won't change my SM for an Economy 7 setup and they won't put me on their EV tariff as I didn't buy their own branded charger!

Standing charge has been the problem for all the EV tariffs I was looking at as they all go up 2-3 fold to offset the cheaper early morning tariff. I still don't use enough electricity to counter that even with charging as I don't do that many miles.

Soldato
I'm with tonik at the moment and my 12 months plan is due to end but I dont know if I can renew with the same plan again, So Im looking at looking at other option, does anyone have any good things to say about the following suppliers.

in order of the cheapest
Avro Energy
Bulb
Pure Planet
Octopus
So energy

Bulb... fine.
Octopus... fine.
So Energy... fine.

Its more no bad things to say.

Soldato
need to look as mse club deals too .. if say 'free' boiler insurance is of interest

Still not ideal as I want a low tariff for EV charging and I tried to switch to Tide but they couldn't do it without swapping my smart meter for a type 2 which would be March at the earliest. Current supplier won't change my SM for an Economy 7 setup and they won't put me on their EV tariff as I didn't buy their own branded charger!

octopus caught my eye for that ... their variable day tarif was of little use to me though .. they seem to want to check you really have an ev too, and don't abuse it ! just a marketting ploy ?

Octopus Go
This tariff offers 5p / kWh electricity between 00:30 - 04:30 every night, so you can charge your EV with 100% renewable electricity for less

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Guys, just another heads up, I've removed a number of posts over the past few days where people have been openly promoting their referral. As you know, as a rule, across the board we don't allow referrals but have been bending the rules with this thread allowing people to request a referral where you can then trust/PM (as ultimately energy referrals naturally benefit both) but in return people shouldn't promote their referral.

It's not even one off people jumping into this thread, it has been established posters of this thread, so just another heads up, do not promote your referral, doing so entices people to sign up to then spam the boards with referral codes which then gives us more work to do cleaning up, hence why we run a tight ship on this. This thread has been running as an exception for loyal members - you guys - so let's not do anything to jeopardise that.

Caporegime
I'd rather make up a credit in summer and keep the payments the same all year.

As people have said before comparing costs between members doesn't work because prices change depending on where you are in England.

Back
Top Bottom