England V India ***Clash of the Heavyweights*** Test, T20 and ODI Series

Soldato
Right, this series was a huge anti climax, so this thread is being retained for the series in India.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2011/content/current/series/474450.html

Now that the India v West Indies series has concluded, it's time to start counting down to the biggest event this summer :D :D :D
This series is being hailed as bigger than the 2005 Ashes!

V

Squads:

England

India

First Test: Lords 22nd July - 25th July

Second Test: Trent Bridge 29th July - 2nd Augst

Third Test: Edgbaston 10th August - 14th August

Fourth Test: Oval 18th August - 22nd August

Anyone got tickets? I've got Day 4 at Lord's, Day 1 at Oval, and hopefully a mate has a spare for me to see day 3 at Lord's and the ODI at Lords too :D :D

Really can't wait for this test series :D :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't wait for this! Going to days 2 & 3 at Trent Bridge :)

Can anyone believe there is still a debate between Broad/Bresnan? I can't believe people are even suggesting that Broad should be the preferred choice

Soldato
OP
Can't wait for this! Going to days 2 & 3 at Trent Bridge :)

Can anyone believe there is still a debate between Broad/Bresnan? I can't believe people are even suggesting that Broad should be the preferred choice

The one thing I'd give in Broad's favour is experience. He might be out of form, but he's played a hell of a lot more cricket than Bresnan. Remember that they will be bowling at the world's best batting line up. Should Bresnan be picked, he'll need to be carefully guided by Anderson as to what areas to bowl at.

Soldato
The one thing I'd give in Broad's favour is experience. He might be out of form, but he's played a hell of a lot more cricket than Bresnan. Remember that they will be bowling at the world's best batting line up. Should Bresnan be picked, he'll need to be carefully guided by Anderson as to what areas to bowl at.

True, but the way Bresnan came in to the Melbourne test was brilliant - yes India's batting lineup is FAR superior to Australia's, but England were on the back of a loss at Perth and he produced some incredible spells.

Plus, if Broad is going to carry on bowling that short stuff, I think Bresnan makes a much more balanced attack with his ability to find reverse swing (if conditions suit)

Soldato
Nice OP :cool:

Looking forward to this, only disappointment is that it isn't a 5-Test series, no doubt because of pointless pajama cricket afterwards. At least it is all at proper Test venues though.

I'm going for a 2-1 England win, I think on home soil we have the beating of India though it's going to be very tight.

Broad vs Bresnan I don't know about - I would normally say Broad for the experience and batting prowess but he seems to have lost his touch with the bat and I still don't think he's fully fit from his last injury.

Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see whether India go with a 2-2 bowling attack or 3-1.

Looking at the squad, they've gone with 5 pace bowlers and two spinners, so I'm guessing they're preparing for 3-1. Mishra is a decent spinner, but I don't really think that he's quite ready to operate alongside Harbhajan.

It's fairly predictable that the 3 seamers will be Zaheer, Sharma and Sreesanth. Zaheer pretty much picks himself, and Sharma's form in the West Indies tour pretty much guarantees that he'll start at Lord's. I'm just not sure about Sreesanth. He's a fiery character, which will be good against England, but unfortunately his bowling sucks imo. He can often bowls unplayable deliveries. Those deliveries are unfortunately in a sea of absolute crap. I don't think it's worth having Sreesanth smacked around in order that he 'might' produce some magic.

Me personally, I'd look towards Munaf Patel or Praveen Kumar as the 3rd seamer. Praveen has a lot of control and can generate a mighty amount of swing. He's a little lacking in pace, but he makes up for it with his other skills. Munaf Patel is a little quicker and he is extremely consistent, his skill is in being able to constantly put the ball in the same spot. He can get some swing, but he can also cut the ball.

Cheers, just shows you how much I'm looking forward to it eh? ;)

Soldato
I'm at the Rose Bowl. :D Woop!

If it's hot then India should do well, if it's not, England should do well.

Should be a great series.

Soldato
OP
YES!

I thought that Oval ODI tickets were sold out. But I went on their website and there was ONE ticket left. And I bought it!!!!

Also just bought some oval day 4 and day5 tickets! [day 5 tickets are not for me]

So now I'm going to:

Lords day 4
Oval day1, day 4
Oval ODI

I'm so happy right now :D :D :D

Soldato
RE: Broad/Bresnan, depends on the surface for me.
Bouncy? Broad, chance of (reverse)/swing? Bresnan

Also worth noting Broad just got 5 wickets for his county.
How? pitching it up! He can do it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow, Strauss is just digging into India

60 off 73 so far :

Everyone who didn't play in the Windies series is playing today. Also Mukund, Munaf, Dravid and Mishra are being given some extra match practice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom