English League Football ** spoilers ** [12th - 14th November 2010]

daz

daz

Soldato
Sunderland played great where did titus bramble come from 5 years ago he was classed as the worst defender ever !!!! Steve Bruce must be some kind of magician!!!

He's always been a decent defender - but for a lot games he'll concentrate for 80 minutes out of 90. It's his inconsistency that's been his downfall in his earlier part of his career. For a million pounds you can't really complain, Bruce got a bargain there.

Soldato
Brown was the last man for the penalty? Watch the replay, Ferdinand was right there and would have won the ball cleanly had Brown not brought down Young unnecessarily. The ref got it right. Again.

The rules don't state last man ;) as pointed out by football365. It's denying a goal scoring opportunity. So Brown should have gone.

Even if it was last man, why did the same referee send off Koscielny when Squillaci would have more than likely covered. Ranger was 40 yards from goal.

All teams get their breaks, and things go against them, Everton's goal shouldn't have stood yesterday, Paul Robinson should have been sent off against Arsenal for Bolton.

Caporegime
Squilacci was miles away to be honest, you're talking about, 30 yards across the pitch or so. Rio was alongside Young, consider all three were basically level, with Rio first, then young, then Brown, the chance of Young getting to the ball before Rio were slim at best, it certainly wasn't a clear goal scoring chance. If Squilacci was only 10 yards across the pitch and about the same level he'd have an excellent chance of catching Ranger, but that far across the pitch and the chances go down.

The red for Kos though was borderline, is just wasn't a red for Brown at all in any concievable way. If Brown and Rio were on opposite sides then Brown should have got a red.

The Modric one did look a penalty, the Bentley one, is still iffy. He looks very much like he's already on his way down as he goes over Zenden and then it becomes one of those, did he go down early to protect himself, was he diving and got lucky with the contact, was their any contact at all, because from behind the ref will see Bentley going down just before he actually gets to Zenden. Not sure why the Modric one wasn't given, only saw one replay, might have been something he said in response to not getting it.

WEbb has been shocking though, the amount of things he got wrong in the Arsenal game was ridiculous. Booking Cesc for having his ankle stamped on is laughable.

I think that tackle was maybe one of the clearer cases of why video replay is required, play stopped for a minute or two anyway, had he decided to red card Cesc incorrectly, it would have utterly changed that game, and the next games he'd be banned for. Looked to me like the Ref didn't really see the challenge and the linesman seemed to be looking up the field rather than at the incident, mostly because anyone who ACTUALLY saw it, saw two players very fairly going for the ball with a very unlucky outcome, but Cesc certainly did nothing wrong, yellow card is a laughably poor decision.

Not seeing Barton's punch, again fairly ridiculous, he should have been sent off, got his 3 game ban and missed a large chunk of that game aswell.

Ref's need video replay, I think ref's have been worse this year than last year, yet again.

Caporegime
Why do clubs employ players like Barton, et al ?

They're "decent" footballers, thugs off the pitch and not much better on the pitch? :confused:

Anyway, I forgive missing the punch nice to see the F.A. ban him after though.

Man of Honour
because, when you take off your football fan glasses, you realise that it is, in fact, a horrible industry

Indeed, it's never really been an industry to produce role models. In the thread created a few months back the only 'successful' guy who wasn't a **** either on or off the pitch was probably Gary Lineker (from recent memory).

So many people play it, it's our national sport and easily done in schools (officially in p.e. lessons or on the playground), that just by numbers alone the more neanderthal ones are more likely to be picked.

Don't forget also discussed in other threads that the strongest/quickest lads are more likely to be picked. It's well known that scouts up and down the country favour players with certain attributes - those that have these often possess poor technical skills etc. etc.. ;) - and they've never really been ones to display a more rounded personality. I don't think it helps also that players abroad, e.g. Spain or France have to complete their academic education to a higher level.

Add in the fact that then they become very rich, very young you can see where their god complex comes from.

Soldato
The rules don't state last man ;) as pointed out by football365. It's denying a goal scoring opportunity. So Brown should have gone.

Even if it was last man, why did the same referee send off Koscielny when Squillaci would have more than likely covered. Ranger was 40 yards from goal.

All teams get their breaks, and things go against them, Everton's goal shouldn't have stood yesterday, Paul Robinson should have been sent off against Arsenal for Bolton.

DM explained it very clearly :eek: but apologies for the use of last man - Ferdinand would have prevented the goal so it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity.

Caporegime
DM explained it very clearly :eek: but apologies for the use of last man - Ferdinand would have prevented the goal so it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity.

I think in the rules or not, most ref's do seem to interpret it as a "clear" goal scoring opportunity.

I think its fair to say that if you lined up with Young anywhere in the box, and Rio standing infront of him you'd give Rio a higher than 50/50 chance of getting to the ball first, which I think for me makes it a not clear opportunity.

I mean, if a keeper is fouled, potentially his kick might go straight in the other goal, so that would literally be a goal scoring opportunity, but an extremely slim one. LIkewise, Nasri might go around 4 players, 35 yards from goal, and score, but odd on he won't score so if he was fouled over by the sideline, then a red card would be harsh.

If a player is through on goal with almost no reason he won't get a shot on target, I'd deem that a "clear" opportunity on goal. With the ball coming in and not under control yet, its iffy, if theres a defender between you and the ball, a red card would be very harsh.

Thats the thing with the Ranger red card, he HAD the ball, Squillaci had to come across and win the ball off him, Ranger had it in his posession. Young never touched the ball, he wasn't in control of it.

I still think the Kos one was very much at the harsh end of all red cards that get given, Browns would have been harsher.

But as with all things, its the consistancy, I think half the ref's around WOULD give Brown the red card, and actually probably less than half wouldn't give it.

My main gripe is that Fifa/Fa/uefa/lizard people give FAR too much power for individual interpretation of the rules. Surely the reason for summer training, and the ability to punish/fire refs, and changing the rules, and having them heavily defined, is to eliminate as much interpretation as possible and simply have all ref's 10% aware in what situation ALL ref's should give a red.

I'm actually starting to think that red's should only be given when the attacking player has the ball under his control, or if he's odd's on favourite to get to the ball before a defender.

Soldato
OP
My main gripe is that Fifa/Fa/uefa/lizard people give FAR too much power for individual interpretation of the rules.

I'm actually starting to think that red's should only be given when the attacking player has the ball under his control, or if he's odd's on favourite to get to the ball before a defender.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom