Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How anyone can try and spin Antony as being anything other than garbage is beyond me. The lads keen as mustard but his ability is nowhere near premier league levels.

I am not trying to spin Antony being garbage. He pretty much is but what I was referencing with Jack Grealish is plenty of clubs overpay for duds.

Last edited:
And Mount, why did we buy Mount?

And Onana, waste of space. "Plays out from the back" but is **** at everything else, bar stopping shots he should stop - that's his job.

Did ETH actually buy those players or were all that he had to choose from? Either them or nothing situation?

Is United's bad recruitment down to ETH? His philosophy yes, agreed.

I'm not saying ETH hasn't made errors, he definitely has.

Up to now I'm still trying to work out why you bought Mount? Even at Chelsea he was vastly overrated and I have no idea why he made the England team. His main redeeming quality was that he had a good engine but so did Robbie Savage...

I also still can't believe you replaced De Gea with Onana. Onana's "glaring mistake" season tally is about the same as De Gea "phenomenal match winning save" season tally.

One thing for sure is there is plenty of blame to go round, not just at ETH door.

He wanted a left footed right sided player. My guess is the support above him did little to nothing to help or direct him and Antony was just a stupid overpriced panic buy. Just like Casemiro was because the FDJ move failed to materialise.

No doubt ETH made a mistake but Arteta spent 55m on Ramsdale as well who was a waste of money. No manager gets it right all the time.

Unlike Anthony, Casemiro you could see was world class, overpriced for his age but class nonetheless. I watched him when he first came and he was often the best player on the pitch.

Anthony does not compare to Ramsdale who was (and probably still is) a very good keeper.

Yes, even great managers can make duff purchases (i.e. Djemba-Djemba) but what makes the Anthony buy so bad is that ETH had him personally for 2 years so can't blame it on the scouts etc. Then to pay that kind of money for somebody that looks to me as distinctly average really calls into question his judgement.

Last edited:
Up to now I'm still trying to work out why you bought Mount? Even at Chelsea he was vastly overrated and I have no idea why he made the England team. His main redeeming quality was that he had a good engine but so did Robbie Savage...

I also still can't believe you replaced De Gea with Onana. Onana's "glaring mistake" season tally is about the same as De Gea "phenomenal match winning save" season tally.

One thing for sure is there is plenty of blame to go round, not just at ETH door.

Onana has the highest save percentage in the league this season.

Onana has the highest save percentage in the league this season.

I studied Statistics so that means little to me as I know too well they are often used to support a false narrative. ;)

I've watched Onana enough with my own eyes to know how he compares and measures up. A mostly average and often sub par shot stopper - which is his main job.

Last edited:
Onana was terrible in the CL, he took a while to settle but he's had a very good year in the league. Especially second half he's been one of the top keepers in the league.

Onana was terrible in the CL, he took a while to settle but he's had a very good year in the league. Especially second half he's been one of the top keepers in the league.

Sorry but there are basics in his game that are just off for me. His positional awareness is suspect. I saw it a few weeks ago against Crystal Palace with Olise's goal coming in from the right and again in the F.A. Cup win with Doku's goal.

We will see over the next few seasons if improves but I suspect it could be more of the same.

Sorry but there are basics in his game that are just off for me. His positional awareness is suspect. I saw it a few weeks ago against Crystal Palace with Olise's goal coming in from the right and again in the F.A. Cup win with Doku's goal.

We will see over the next few seasons if improves but I suspect it could be more of the same.

Goal Keepers will not get them all. Doku's goal he didn't see it till late. You totally ignore the other fantastic saves he made throughout the game because it fits your narrative. Doku was a threat the entire time he came on and City were piling on the pressure.

These are premier league facts though Onana's save percentage is the highest in the league with the 5th highest shots faced so that is pretty consistent really for a keeper! Letting in the 5th least amount of goals whilst having the most disrupted back 4 pairing in the league.

Come on you studied statistics!

Goal Keepers will not get them all. Doku's goal he didn't see it till late. You totally ignore the other fantastic saves he made throughout the game because it fits your narrative. Doku was a threat the entire time he came on and City were piling on the pressure.

These are premier league facts though Onana's save percentage is the highest in the league with the 5th highest shots faced so that is pretty consistent really for a keeper! Letting in the 5th least amount of goals whilst having the most disrupted back 4 pairing in the league.

Still not sold on him, he'll make mistakes in big matches that will cost us dearly. Let's see what his stats are next season, how many blunders will he make?

Anyway, we're stuck with him so no point in dragging the convo on.

Last edited:
I like Onana, but even I can see the man’s technique (if you can even call it that at times) is just plain bizarre.

He definitely isn’t as bad as people make out. It’s always very quiet on here regarding him when he has a good game.

Last edited:

The kind of statistics you use will not convince me Onana is a very good keeper. Watch this and pause it where the ball crosses the line or hits the back of the net and you might start to appreciate what I'm trying to convey.

If Onana had positioned himself correctly he should be saving that easily.

According to statistics, if I remember correctly Raheem Sterling had more goal involvements than even Kevin De Bruyne, but Pep still got rid of him. Statistics in football at the moment can't adequately replace actual visual judgments made as more often than not the statistics used are not nuanced or fine grained enough.

For example with the goalkeeping statistics does it breakdown the difficulty of shot faced, the power of shot faced, the distance the keeper had to move from initial starting position when the shot was taken, the speed of reaction from when the ball was hit etc, etc.

So yes, I studied Statistics (Maths, Statistics and Computing to be precise) which is why I know you trying to use statistics to prove that Onana is a very good keeper is a fool's errand. I also started off as a goalkeeper. :D

Last edited:
that statistic is misleading when the team concedes like 20+ shoots in a game they can be routine saves I like to see how many shots have united conceded at goal compared to the rest of the league , I've watched almost every game full and Onana has been very poor he makes too many mistakes and imo fault for Doku's goal he made it but some reason the wrists went floppy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom