Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Man of Honour
OP
Well, let's hope whoever comes in can turn Antony, Rashford, Maguire, Mount etc into footballers.

In fairness to Maguire, he's generally pretty good as long as you don't have a high line. The rest, meh. £85m on Antony has to be one of the worst transfers of all time.

Man of Honour
OP
I like Onana and think he's done pretty well on the whole.

However, I think he's one of those keepers that will always have a howler in him at the worst possible moment. :(

Man of Honour
OP
dont think he has done well on the whole, any improvement over David de Gea ? would have been cheaper keeping De Gea and sole reason got dumped out of the group stage in UCL , in defence of Onana its first season in new side and league so really needs to show improvement next season and cut out the mistakes

This isn't really the thread for goalkeeper discussion, but yes, a £45m upgrade on De Gea he most certainly isn't.

Man of Honour
OP
Still nothing further on this. It's difficult to draw any conclusions, but if ETH does stay, it looks bad that they've basically let this drag on... a statement of some sort could have been issued, even if it was just to a journalist.

It doesn't take this long to do a review, they'll have been reviewing every game as it happened for the past 6 months or so.

We don't know what's going on but it's creating a more negative perception of INEOS, than positive, IMO...

Man of Honour
OP
Who? Our CEO who hasn't started yet, our DoF who hasn't started yet or our Technical Director who has only been there a month or so?

By all accounts they'd decided to sack him a couple of weeks ago - how could they have done that if nobody is doing anything?

Man of Honour
OP
Exactly! Do you want Ratcliffe deciding who is manager? Because that seems to be what you want :confused:

There are people involved who will know about managers…

You seem to think everyone will need to be fully in post before anything is decided. Not going to be the case.

Man of Honour
OP
Not everyone, but anyone. We literally haven't had a single footballing person involved until the last month. I don't know where you pulled the 6 months of review thing from (and clearly you don't either because you ignored the question)

What do you actually think is happening at the moment then? Obviously there’s no review going on as Wilcox can’t do it on his own…? So all the sources must be wrong…

Man of Honour
OP
Also, it does take time to make decisions, I'd rather that than rushing. Especially when there is so much upheaval at the club.

I’ve no problem with that either, it’s just unfortunate with all of the speculation around the manager.

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting, as I see this as the opposite.
I don't understand why they have to announce anything if they have made the decision for him to stay. If they've told ETH he's staying, may have even reiterated this to him after the journo's went wild, why do they need to run to the press every time something has been twisted for clicks.

I'll probably be wrong after all this, but that's they way I see it.

I understand what you're saying, but realistically a club would be expected to comment in this situation. It wasn't some random report, a number of serious journalists reported it - lead by the Guardian. When these people approached the club they refused to comment. They didn't even deny it, or say things were being looked at. If they'd told ETH he was staying, this would have been reported - it quite clearly isn't the case.

Whatever happens now he has been undermined, they clearly don't have confidence in him...

Man of Honour
OP
I agree with the poster you quoted. If they just went quiet and did nothing and continue as normal it would leave the press with a red face. After all these "leaks" could have been complete drivel and the reporters that acted on them will be out the door. Would be a win win in my eyes.

All United would have to say we were having contract talks after ETH holiday and we have signed him on for another two years.

This is wishful thinking really. They had notice of this prior to the cup final, refused to comment, and so ETH was bombarded with questions about whether he was being sacked on Monday morning. That's not something you just let happen if you are considering keeping him. It's poor form regardless really and not fair on him.

Man of Honour
OP
Credible reports today that Ratcliffe met with Tuchel recently to discuss the job, some saying he's ruled himself out, others that he's under consideration along with the other names mentioned.

This surely means ETH is gone, you don't have the owners meeting other managers, actively looking to replace him... and then decide to keep him. His position has been seriously undermined.

Man of Honour
OP
Hopefully we'll find something out soon, this rampant speculation over what's going on isn't great for anyone.

Man of Honour
OP
Now sky are reporting that Poch isn't going to United. I am honestly starting to think that this is just one massive windup and Ineos are just letting the media own themselves and they have already told ETH business as usual and ETH will turn up to the first pre season presser as normal.

At least that is what I am hoping.

But it's not winding up the media, it's winding up the fans. Honestly, anywhere you look, INEOS are being heavily criticised, compared to the Glazers, etc.

Every day without a decision just does more and more damage. I understand it can take time and I agree they shouldn't rush it, but it's really not good.

Man of Honour
OP

From the outside it looks like they've desperately tried and failed to replace him, undermined him, and now we'll plod on due to a lack of alternative options.

I accept it would be better looking at all of these things with Ashworth & co in place, too.

The FA Cup win was a great moment and I really hope we can build on it, but last season was inexcusably poor. I reckon there's a decent chance he's gone before Christmas.

Man of Honour
OP
It would all make sense really, wouldn't it...

If our form continues from last season, people will be crying out for Southgate before October.

Back
Top Bottom