Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Man of Honour
OP
Exactly, ETH might be able to give some input, but he will be choosing from players that have been identified by the guys within the footballing structure.

Man of Honour
OP
I think that FA Cup final day was so dramatic (for different reasons) it could act as a fresh start. Equally it may not, and ETH will be gone before October when performances continue to be terrible.

There's surely a chance with 5 or 6 new players, who hopefully remain injury free, things can be turned around. I think the players are playing for him - which made the terrible performances even more bizarre.

I'm happy to give him another shot (like I have a choice), but I just think the performances were so bad, something is seriously wrong somewhere.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah 14 different back 4 combo's is what was seriously wrong.

Hopefully Malacia is fit and back next season which would be a free signing in a way. We need a LCB and RCB plus striker at the bare minimum.

That explains some of it, but it was spectacularly bad.

Anyway, I think we've got to see how it goes... it will be good to get a few new players in and see what happens.

Man of Honour
OP
Ten Hag has been speaking to Dutch TV. Hard to judge, but he doesn't sound thrilled. Would be funny if he refuses to extend his contract :p

Speaking to broadcaster NPO, the 54-year-old said: "Everyone has heard that they have spoken to several candidates. That's no secret.

"In the Netherlands that is not done. You are not even allowed to talk to another club if there is a current trainer there. But in England the rules and laws are different.

"In the end, they came to the conclusion that they have the best trainer."

"As in any organisation, there is an evaluation and that seems very sensible to me," Ten Hag said.

"We had a good discussion and various topics were discussed. One of the conclusions is that we will extend the contract, but we still have to reach an agreement."

Man of Honour
OP
I expect there will be strict clauses in relation to performance, we know the club were on the verge of sacking him at least once, and actively looked to replace him.

Not really the ideal foundation going forward, and I can see ETH being a bit difficult in the negotiations. But, if as he says he's keen to manage the club, they should find a middle ground somewhere.

Man of Honour
OP
The thing is, whatever your view, we can't do anything about it so just have to hope for the best. Last season was utterly horrendous but there have been some positive signs we can cling to, 2x trophies and ETH's previous work at Ajax, as well as his first season at Man Utd.

Just forget last season and let's hope INEOS can sign some suitable players, my main frustration is the Ashworth situation etc, it will be holding things back a fair bit.

But, make no mistake, he will be under serious pressure to get results immediately in the Premier League. Do I think he'll succeed? 50/50 at best... but I am hopeful all the same.

Back
Top Bottom