Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You really think Amdroid needs security? It would do little more than drain the battery.

It's not operating system security. Wavesecure lets you see what SIM/phone number is in the phone if it has been lost or stolen.

You can then upload the sim contacts to Wavesecure so you know who this person's friends are. And, backup the texts so you know what they've been up to.

Then you can wipe and lock the phone, leaving a message on it that leaves you in no doubt that it is a stolen phone and contact phone numbers so that it can be returned to you.

You can also track it with the builtin gps and 3g/wifi internet. If the new "owner" wants to uninstall wavesecure then it can be prevented by its new add-in. If Wavesecure is uninstalled then the add-in will lock your phone. If the add-in is uninstalled then wavesecure will lock your phone.

Hope that helps.

Associate
What kinda news paper apps are there on the droid? I currently have the Guardian app for my iphone, as well as NY Times, and USA Today...

Also, if it takes your fancy and you make long distance calls, this is one which I plan on using heavily (long distance relation ship and what not...) SIPdroid.

Associate
What kinda news paper apps are there on the droid? I currently have the Guardian app for my iphone, as well as NY Times, and USA Today...

There is the Guardian Anywhere app which is for offline reading which is pretty good but downloading takes a long time. Better do it on wifi.

As for essential app:
Keepscreen - prevents your screen from timing out with specific apps you are running.

Associate
activates gps til your battery dies, then how can you locate it? ;)

But what use is it to a thief with no battery?

You can also use it to make the phone start screaming :D We put it on a friends BB without him knowing, and randomly set it off from the internet whenever it takes our fancy :D

SetCPU is also a must if you're rooted :) Controls the power profiles for performance boosts or energy savings depending on what the phone is doing

Soldato
Another vote for Handcent SMS. Best sms app.
aContacts - very good contacts app. Use it and select grid view from the options,much better than the list view.
OneClickWidgets - Can select whatever widget you want on your screen for 2G-3G,Airplane mode,Bluetooth,Brightness,Phone Vibrate and Wi-fi. Can also change the colour of the widget.
S2 calendar widget - Best calendar widget that i've found.
Weather widget - my favourite weather app.
Astro file manager.
appinstaller - allows you to install apps from your memory card.
Uninstaller - quickly uninstall apps.
Try using Shapewriter for typing out text messgages. Much quicker than tapping the letters!
Where's my droid - if you've lost your phone somewhere and it's on silent,you just set something that you need to text to your phone and this app will switch your phone onto loud and start ringing with whatever sound you choose!
Advanced task killer - kill any background tasks to save battery.You can even set it to not kill certain tasks you want running all the time.

Associate
But what use is it to a thief with no battery?

You can also use it to make the phone start screaming :D We put it on a friends BB without him knowing, and randomly set it off from the internet whenever it takes our fancy :D

SetCPU is also a must if you're rooted :) Controls the power profiles for performance boosts or energy savings depending on what the phone is doing

So the GPS part is a bit pointless unless you have a swat team on standby to recover it before the battery dies?

I must admit the screaming one sounds great!

Associate
is it true iplayer wont work on it?

I don't think so. Although in the Techradar review they said they couldn't get it to work:
Techradar Review said:
We did encounter a slight issue - Flash video didn't want to work properly on the higher end sites and content. It wouldn't support iPlayer for example, and video on the BBC website was juddery.

Perhaps some of the people who have got the phone could try iPlayer out?

Soldato
Beebplayer is fine over 3G but the quality of the video is below par TBH. Also, if you watch clips on the BBC site, they judder all the time.

Haven't tested either of these over Wi-Fi though.

Was going to ask, what's the best keyboard app? or are people still using the default one?
It's taking me some effort to get used to the Desire default one, having come from 2 years worth of SE C902 texting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom